Author Topic: right or left handed  (Read 2884 times)

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
Re: right or left handed
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:13 PM »
right handed but and lhs for spinning rods and rhs for bait casters(even though i cash with my right hand then switch over)
i have tried a lhs bait caster ad thought it was the most awkward thing ever
do everything else with my right hand
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:44 AM »
WOW....looks like it runs the whole gamut......one way or another.....we can all hook and land fish.  ;D IMO.....the above comment was uncalled for and disrespectful to all the above that use their right hand to reel  :nono:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Notice I only fished with you once Ron @) ;D

When I've been out on the Red river fishing with a guide for channel cats I've never liked their setups, besides the drag set so tight the reel works more like a winch, the handle is on the wrong side for me, I guess it just puts everyone on an equal playing field, nobody looks good.

Offline buckmrkguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Right handed in everything. Hold the rod in my right , reel with the left.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Another thing I had to do when I got my Marcum LX 5 is switch the transducer arm to the other side (left side when looking at it) so it was better to use on the right hand side of the hole, to make it easier to pull out with my right hand when I have a fish on the rod in my left hand.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I started out using spinning reels, with the rod in the right hand and handle on the left ... that's what I'm most familiar and comfortable with. The opposite arrangement or spincast pose no great problem either as long as all my focus is on angling, not operating a boat & motor as well. It's definitely much easier to control a tiller with the rod in my right hand and steering/reeling with the left. Trolling with console steering (wheel and controls) is more awkward regardless of the rod/reel configuration.

As for the flasher, rather than having to use the transducer arm I fashioned a float so can position my LX-5 almost anywhere in the vicinity.

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:34 PM »
I started out using spinning reels, with the rod in the right hand and handle on the left ... that's what I'm most familiar and comfortable with. The opposite arrangement or spincast pose no great problem either as long as all my focus is on angling, not operating a boat & motor as well. It's definitely much easier to control a tiller with the rod in my right hand and steering/reeling with the left. Trolling with console steering (wheel and controls) is more awkward regardless of the rod/reel configuration.

As for the flasher, rather than having to use the transducer arm I fashioned a float so can position my LX-5 almost anywhere in the vicinity.

(Image removed from quote.)
GEE....an LX-VEX  :roflmao:  :woot:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline scanner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • still trying to catch a bigger one
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2012, 01:28 PM »
i have always reeled left handed, I am fairly able to most anything with either hand however reeling with my right is just awkward...my wife was always just the opposite she would cast with her right then switch the rod to her left hand to reel with her right...ice fishing this Saturday she borrowed one of my rods and caught her first walleye, she was using it setup up for me and mysteriously by the time we were done fishing Sunday afternoon all her rods were switched to left handed reel...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.