Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit Lake  (Read 8989 times)

Offline 73hunter92

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spirit Lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Thanks Man! We will be in a red Dodge with Page county plates, blue Clam Voyager and Ice armour! We will look like the smurfs on a field trip!

I just moved up here from down around your area in October. We probably know some of the same people. Sounds like the wind is doing a number on the ice but I will be out this weekend somewhere. Last weekend was good for me with a good perch bite and walleye. Hoping for the same this weekend.

Offline speedy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:13 PM »
I will be on Little E, sometime tomorrow morning.  :)

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:17 PM »
if i drive up there will there be somewhere to fish in the area we have no ice here and i need to get my fix
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline speedy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:22 PM »
Yes.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:29 PM »
I will be on Little E, sometime tomorrow morning.  :)

Ill be in a green otter cabin

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:22 AM »
Any word on conditions today? Anyone out near Templer?

Offline 73hunter92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:49 PM »
I'm on Templar right now. Right around 8 inches of ice. Be careful though if you go out too far you will hit the line of where the open water was at. A guy went in this morning off marble because he went out too far so be careful.

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Would u please define too far?  Can u get to the basin depth (20 feet) with good ice?

Thanks in advance

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Would u please define too far?  Can u get to the basin depth (20 feet) with good ice?

Thanks in advance

i was in 21 feet on crandalls, just north of that incident today.  I feel bad for them 2 guys that went in, but atleast they made it back out.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline 73hunter92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:40 PM »

Thanks in advance

You can if you go to south templar but again be careful because you will be playing with that line. I was on north templar and in 19 fow. BE CAREFUL.

Offline LunkerPlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:36 PM »
how much safer would it be to go next weekend? would i be able to safely go out and fish 20 FOW strait out from marble?

Offline jsdad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:34 AM »
I was out on north templar today also. First thing we heard was somebody had gone in and that almost stopped me but went out anyhow. We fished from 18 to 20 FOW and the ice was 8". Catching was pretty good to caught 9 perch A walleye and missed several fish. Found A new favorite today to its called A bro's bloodworm jig northland makes them. I am thoroughly impressed with this jig, we didn't even use the minnows or waxies we bought just the jig alone was enough.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Fished from noon till three off Marble Beach.  Due to the wind I was the only one out there.  Fished in 16 fow on 6" of ice and caught 25 and missed as many, all 4 inchers.  Moved out to 20 fow on 5" of ice, same results.  Tried 12 fow, same results.  Bad fishin, but good to see there is a class of small fish in big numbers down there.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:37 AM »
Fished from noon till three off Marble Beach.  Due to the wind I was the only one out there.  Fished in 16 fow on 6" of ice and caught 25 and missed as many, all 4 inchers.  Moved out to 20 fow on 5" of ice, same results.  Tried 12 fow, same results.  Bad fishin, but good to see there is a class of small fish in big numbers down there.

I hit the point off of Marble about two weeks ago. Had the same type of results, but couldn't get the little ones to bite.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:58 AM »
That's good to hear.  I will be back Sunday if the wind isn't blowing 40 mph out of the NW, SE, NE,  and East.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 18, 2012, 12:20 PM »
Ya this last sunday we were out there, and said heck with it.

Moved to emerson and got out of the wind.

Only good thing about the wind blowing is that if you went off of Crandles this last sunday it would blow u towards shore, instead of into the middle of the lake.

Not sure if it was true or not, but heard that earlier in the year some guys were fishing and the wind blow them in out to the middle of the lake in their shack. They had to call authorities to get a ride back to shore since they had no idea where to walk for safe ice to get back on shore.

Offline cyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:41 PM »
I have not been up there this year yet, do you guys think it will be safe almost everywhere on west O and spirit with the cold weather coming at us?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 18, 2012, 02:55 PM »
I have not been up there this year yet, do you guys think it will be safe almost everywhere on west O and spirit with the cold weather coming at us?

No.

Offline steven821

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:41 PM »
I agree probably not everywhere

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:49 PM »
I would guess people will be out on the bigger bays by this weekend. Will be building ice non stop for awhile.

Offline steven821

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Good I like to hear that I will be heading to spirit for Saturday

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:15 PM »
I'm taking off work tomarrow, and gonna hit little millers/millers bay. I know there is good ice there and on emerson as well has select spots on spirt.

Just be careful guys.

Offline rich_fisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Not sure if it was true or not, but heard that earlier in the year some guys were fishing and the wind blow them in out to the middle of the lake in their shack. They had to call authorities to get a ride back to shore since they had no idea where to walk for safe ice to get back on shore.
[/quote]

Ya this was true. Happened in the middle of the night. The 911 call was at like 4 in the morning! It was big news up here for a couple days. Of course they did'nt release the guy's names!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Winter weather advisory till 3 pm Friday for the IGL's area, possibility of up to 6" snow and wind chill advisory for just to the east of us...

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:25 PM »
If we get the snow they are predicting and it covers the ice you better be drilling holes about every ten feet to check for thickness.  The farther you go out on spirit the thinner it gets, and of course that 21 fow is a ways out there. 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:59 PM »
6" of snow will deter many from dragging out close to a mile to....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:09 AM »
Got out on Millers Bay yesterday. There were two 4-wheelers out, and one small pickup. Ice varried from about 15in to 5in in spots. Found the fish and caught a couple Bull Gills, Crappie, and Pike. Seen a nice perch but wound't bite. The bite was fairly tuff, and the only thing we could get the fish to bite on was finnese red plastic tail jigs.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #57 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Anyone have a snow report from today (Friday)?  Thinkin of heading up tomorrow if we can get around without a lot of headaches....thanks.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Got around 4-6in so far.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 20, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Anyone have a snow report from today (Friday)?  Thinkin of heading up tomorrow if we can get around without a lot of headaches....thanks.

6" total, winds should do a good job of moving it around Saturday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.