Author Topic: Marcus LX7 vs the Lowrance Ice 5 machine  (Read 16065 times)

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Marcus LX7 vs the Lowrance Ice 5 machine
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:23 PM »
DB, I think you made a great choice and killer price on that elite 5 too.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:59 PM »
One thing I didnt like about the Lx7 in chart mode is that the scrolling speed is way way slow and theres no way to adjust it. It felt like I was fishing in slow motion.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:03 PM »
One thing I didnt like about the Lx7 in chart mode is that the scrolling speed is way way slow and theres no way to adjust it. It felt like I was fishing in slow motion.
the nice thing about them is they can add scroll speed with an update.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:51 PM »
the nice thing about them is they can add scroll speed with an update.
Is it just me or does anyone else see where this is going? Update this update that. Remember when marcum came out with an update for the 1st showdowns to 5.6? That wasn't free was it? :-\

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:55 PM »
I'm gonna take the Lx7 out for another shot this weekend. Who knows maybe I can get used to the vertical display or flasher and have a change of heart.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:02 AM »
Is it just me or does anyone else see where this is going? Update this update that. Remember when marcum came out with an update for the 1st showdowns to 5.6? That wasn't free was it? :-\
nobody would have bought them if they were not updatable ::)

Offline rtclaus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:40 PM »

The LX7 does not need to be sent in for an update, all updates come via a USB port and the internet  ;D

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Id take a Marcum over Lowrance any day of the week. They actually have customer service unlike Lowrance...they're a joke. Marcum is also dedicated to only icefishing and know what ice fisherman want.

They are going to need every bit of that customer service to get through the LX7 challenges. And even if they get the initial bugs worked out there are still tons of things the Lowrance unit does that the LX7 doesn't have the capacity to.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:38 PM »

yeah but marcum took over the showdown from somebody else.  That was a whole new upgrade by marcum that was a night and day difference of what i have heard.  I dont beleive the prior showdowns to the 5.6 were marcums.  also the price of the showdown was alot cheaper before marcum put the new software in it.  so in the end if you upgraded you have the same amount of money into if if you bought a new one now and have a quality unit.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:43 PM »
Id take a Marcum over Lowrance any day of the week. They actually have customer service unlike Lowrance...they're a joke. Marcum is also dedicated to only icefishing and know what ice fisherman want.

I am not liking the way my transducer looks on my new x67c.  there is a factory scuff in the ducer.  no big deal but it looked like it went all the way through.  I emailed them and showed them a pic and they sent me a new one.  unfortunately the new one i got was identical to my old one.  I sent them another email and they responded back and are going to look at my old one once they get it back and will go from there.  all and all I dont see a problem with there customer service.  Also, not to knock marcum but how long did it take them to get the lx7 out?  They kept pushing the date back while eager people put up 700.00 just to wait while marcum kept promising different dates.  thats not good customer service is it?

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:16 PM »
I don't think they ever promised anyone a shipping date.they did say when they thought they would be shipped.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:00 PM »
How about we just stick to the topic! The elite 5 blows away the Marcum lx7. I have both units and its not even in the same league as the elite5. Icemachine FTW!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:00 AM »
How about we just stick to the topic! The elite 5 blows away the Marcum lx7. I have both units and its not even in the same league as the elite5. Icemachine FTW!

thanks evobassfish i was hoping that some one would have both units for a good honest answer , i fished between to marcums today with my hd5, fished quite close when they fired up a touch of static and asked them to hit the button once and was perfect and my 5 works great 

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2012, 05:27 AM »
I am very impressed with my new x67c after finally using it this past weekend.  If the elite 5 is a step up from that then it with gps then its gotta be one of the nicest most versitle units on the market.  Its nice to hear someone that has used or owns both of them and can give a honest answer to performance. 

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:25 PM »
I have an elite 5 ice machine and had it out a few times and love it.  The graph mode is the way to go!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:51 PM »
I have yet to get to use the Elite 5, but I have used my HDS 5 on my ice pack . The only place the HDS is above the LX7 is GPS. The flasher display is to  small IMO. The 5 inch screen just isnt big enough for my preference. So far I have done at least 4 software updated on the HDS and it continues to get better with each, I have no doubt the 7 will be improved with updates. i suppose I could have spent 1000 dollars and gotten the HDS 7, but I dont need a 7 inch GPS . Others might, but thats whats great, there is options for everyone. If the 7 isnt for you, nobody here is gonna force you to buy one.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:20 PM »

hey stumper if you use the 5 in flasher mode why get a sonar ? why not just get the lx5 ? and how wide is the screen on the lx7 ? and you also said the screen was to small then you said you didn't need a bigger screen i guess i'm not getting it please explain ,not busting just confused ,

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:03 AM »

hey stumper if you use the 5 in flasher mode why get a sonar ? why not just get the lx5 ? and how wide is the screen on the lx7 ? and you also said the screen was to small then you said you didn't need a bigger screen i guess i'm not getting it please explain ,not busting just confused ,

I dont need a bigger screen for my GPS, The Flasher dial on my HDS 5 is smaller in diameter than the one on my LX5. The other downfall to the lowrance unit was the cone angle. If I get a chance today I will take some pics of them side by side so you can see the difference.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Here yah go..

Jig pkg is for size reference

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:51 PM »

thanks stumper

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Just wondering if one of you guys that own the LX-7 would measure the diameter of the circle in flasher mode? I tried scaling it and my guess is about 3.33". I mean the inside of the circle with the marks of fish, bait and bottom. Thanks in advance.

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:28 PM »
In "Flasher Display" mode and having only that on the screen increases the diameter of the circle to take up ABOUT the whole 8" screen.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:39 PM »
In "Flasher Display" mode and having only that on the screen increases the diameter of the circle to take up ABOUT the whole 8" screen.
I'm guessing you have one? If so could you put it in "Flasher Display" and measure the diameter from the outside of the moving marks....thanks.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:48 AM »
Nice TP in the background in the first pic!  You never know.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Just wondering if one of you guys that own the LX-7 would measure the diameter of the circle in flasher mode? I tried scaling it and my guess is about 3.33". I mean the inside of the circle with the marks of fish, bait and bottom. Thanks in advance.
3"I.D.-4"O.D. 1/2" scale width ;)

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2012, 03:01 PM »
3"I.D.-4"O.D. 1/2" scale width ;)
Thank you sir...was just curious how big the actual flasher display was compared to my Ice 55.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.