Author Topic: A friendly (non-bashing) Last Mountain discussion  (Read 42738 times)

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They're down there somewhere!
Re: A friendly Last Mountain discussion
« Reply #90 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Just sepent the morning at the stone barn and let me tell you its dead i fished from 30 to 44 fow not a single eye caught between me and my partner. caught 12 whitefish and 1 perch. very slow day. Help me out if you can on where to try next
It seems that the more pressure that area sees from first ice on, the earlier that the fish disperse to where ever they go during the dog days of winter.
 I myself try to stay away from the fish "villages" that develope when ever the bite gets good. I won't necessarily completely leave the area, maybe just move away from the crowds, if possible. Now this doesn't always work but I also find that I am usually one of the last people to leave the ice & sometimes this makes a difference too. I'm sure that being there early probably helps too but I like to sleep so I'm rarely the first one there.
 As for where else to try I would normally say hammer the points hard, but, this year I wouldn't recommend that even to my worst enemy.
 After the bite dies down at the barn we usually go north, Sarnia/White Rock, Rowans/Collingwood/The Windrows. or north of there. Luckily, the past couple of seasons we havent needed to stray too far from the Grandview/ Glen Harbor area, But then I'm not too disappointed if I only see a couple fish a day. Sometimes they can be really big.
 Hope this helps.

P.S. Did you try fishing a lot shallower, Drill lots of holes & let the area die down for a couple of hours & then go back quietly & jig using T-tots & fireball jigs tipped with a full or half minnow. Once again this does not always work, but sometimes...

Golf is for people that don't know how to fish.

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I wen to LML to fish for my first time ever today (im pretty sure I was at kinookimaw but I am not positive, it was close to where that old train bridge was?) and I drilled maybe 20 holes all over the place. Nothing, nothing at all. Is that normal to this time of year?

Offline randolf17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:56 AM »
Anyone been out around spring bay or swansons?  Hows the ice.  Planning on heading out there today or tomorrow

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They're down there somewhere!
« Reply #93 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:48 PM »
 By the look of all the monsters on this forum, I will definitely be heading to the Rowans Ravine area & north this weekend.
 We were at the barn this past friday & the fishing is slow but we were able to scare up a limit of small males. We were the only ones there all day long. We were constantly marking fish but only catching the odd one here & there.
Golf is for people that don't know how to fish.

Offline thebigshowshel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:11 PM »
Stone Barn, Wee Too, Island View are all excellent spots. Plenty of big walleye come out of those spots.
Can anyone tell me how to get to these spots?  Along with Kinookimaw?
My wife and I do not know how to get to these fishing locations but really want to get out and do more ice fishing.
Thanks for any information and advice, greatly appreciated.
thebigshowshel  :)

Offline thebigshowshel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Unless things have changed, when you get to the intersection above Regina Beach instead of turning right to go down the hill into town keep going straight west past the golf course and you should wind up at tthe river mouth where the trestle used to be.
To get to this location, would you turn left at the intersection at Regina Beach instead of turning right into town and towards the boat launch?
Or go straight and follow that road?  Not sure where this is.
Thanks!!!  Appreciate it!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #96 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Hi thebigshowshel,
Last Mountain Lake has many beaches and resorts on it so when I want to find where one is located I use "Google Maps" and type in the name of the beach or area.
Google Maps is a good tool for viewing the area from the air and locating a road or trail to get to the location you would like to fish.

Some areas like stone barn are not listed on the map {a local landmark} but, when you ask someone and they give you directions you can use the map and where it located.

For example the area around Kinookimaw where folks fish is in Little Arm Bay, so just type that into the Google Maps and you will see where to turn.

Good fishing and welcome to the Sask. area of Ice Shanty. :)

WW

Offline thebigshowshel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Fantastic!  Thanks so much for your information and advice!
This is already becoming a great experience joining this forum.
Thanks again!  Greatly appreciated!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:31 PM »
I am glad I could help you. ;D

WW

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #99 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:53 PM »
Heading to rowans sunday and have never fished this area of last mountain on the ice. Don't want any hot spots just a general area to try for some decent pike and walleye. Any info would be great

Offline walldog77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:33 AM »
anyone been fishing north like at etters or around there if so hows the fishing been never been to lml looking for a little action for the wife and kids for some perch action or the odd walleye any info would be helpful tnks

Offline Outdoors guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:55 AM »
How thick is the ice around collingwood and rowans
I'd rather be fishing

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:12 PM »
14 at colling earlier in the week when I was out. 

Offline Walleyerus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Rowans was fine. guys are driving all around. Watch for the odd heave. Other than that. Still only seen one guy drive straight across.  :tipup:

Offline Outdoors guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:20 PM »
thanks
I'd rather be fishing

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I was in the Q valley sasturday but this goes for any lake. We went to a new spot where we always fished last season and no one else fishes there or was anywhere near, only had the hand auger with us but we still drilled a hole every 10 yeards to check ice depth, took a whiel to get out to 200 yards and the arms were pretty tired, but one spot has 8 inches of ice, moved to the left 3 feet and only had 3 inches of ice, just goes to show you need to checck the ice all the time, with these weird conditions ice is not very consistant yet. Keep those hooks sharp though! I should be heading to kinookimaw this weekend!

That is so right,  and the reason you don't see many guys out fishing before the end of January up here.  Buddy of mine went out between Christmas and the new year one time on one of our favourite lakes.  He checked 100 ft off shore, 18", checked again 100 yd and still 18-24", gets in his truck and drives a mile to one of our hot spots, fires up the auger and punches a hole........ only 8" of ice!

I just heard that a couple riding a snowmobile went through on Lake Laberge a few days ago.  They got out, thankfully, but lost their machine, and had a very cold walk back to the landing. 

(Just spoke with a friend of the guy who went through.  He was alone, the other person on another machine, so did not have to walk back, but was near hypothermic by the time they got back riding at high speed.  I know the spot where they went through.  We call it Nursery Rock.  It is on the East side of Richtoven Island.  If any of you Yukoners are watching, stay away from there!)

It can be very deceiving, especially when the weather has been mild.  Supposed to get to -40 this weekend, so that will smarten things up, and they will be able to recover the machine.

We stay off most of the lakes early, however make up for it by fishing until early May. :)

Ted

Offline yank0073

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Is the ice between Wee Too and Sarnia shoreline safe to drive on?  :-\ :-\ Has anyone been driving there trucks along this side? :)

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Just wondering if someone could give some info on Sarnia, Is there a specific area to stay away from and or certain area's to catch eye's at would really appreciate a little help ....tight lines  :tipup:

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:48 AM »
I was out North of Weetoo 3 days ago and watched a truck drive from Weetoo to Sarnia up the shore line. I think a quad or snowmobile would be a safe way to play it. Just too weird of a year to mess around with being lazy.

Offline Jeromey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:22 PM »
I was at Sarnia last weekend and had roughly 15" of ice.  There was one truck that drove past us 3 times that came and went south down the lake.

Offline MYATUK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:41 AM »
I'm from Elbow and not familiar with LML and would love to come down for some of those eyes I'm seeing. Does anyone have a map of the area so I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to find a spot to fish? How far from Elbow is it?

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Out at sarnia today caught some walleye,perch,whites,jacks and even burbot seen a couple hogs pulled up just long enough for a pic and put right back it was a great day and a great lake to spend it at first time there and we will defiantly return!!

Offline randolf17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Out at Spring bay today.  was a pretty slow day.  caught some burbot, (one 8 pounder), walleye, jack, tullibee.  Anyone have any good luck today? weather was perfect for a good day fishing

Offline jagger_ca

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:31 PM »
went to sarnia beach today for the first time, couldn't see anything in near zero visibility so didn't get a real feel for the area.  Fishing in 30 ft of water and caught one lonely small perch.  The real surprise was a large burbot that actually attacked my velixar transducer hanging just below the ice and started off with it.  Never seen anything like it or heard of anything like that before?  Made the slow day more intersting for sure

Offline BOONER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:20 AM »
Went out north of Rowans on Saturday and did pretty good.  Caught a pile of perch and some nice big burbot.  Ice was around 18" and people were driving everywhere, even saw one guy go across the lake to the other side.  Here is the biggest burbot it's my PB @ 11.05 lbs:

MikeMiller

« Reply #115 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:23 AM »
nice dog my biggest is like 7 pounds

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Good to hear there is still a bit of action on LML.

Nice big burbot BOONER. :tipup:

WW

Offline CanAmCory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Good day folks. Just wondering if you think the ice is now thick enough to be driving straight across the lake yet. I have a Duramax and don't want to put it through. Is there any spots that a person should totally avoid? I'm assuming that Alice Beach will still be a no no. Any help to keep 4 wheels above the ice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:10 PM »
never trust anyone, best to drill and check for yourself
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Anybody ever fish around Sorenson's beach area? Always fished that area summer and fall and its always pretty good for walleye

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.