The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: What is a "keeper" gill or perch for you?  (Read 7123 times)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: What is a "keeper" gill or perch for you?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:27 AM »
I think it's funny when people say that they don't keep gills under 8".  An 8" gill is a monster.  The term 9" gill is thrown around way too loosely.  I, personally, say that anyone who doesn't keep a gill under 8" is full of it, or, they don't measure their fish!  Measure your fish next time and i think you'll be surprised!
I just starting jiggin panfish last season-usually a trap/bass guy. I have had several 40+ pannie days this season and roughly a third of the catch is gills/hybrids/banded sunfish. Pretty common to catch 8" sunnies here in NH , or at least in the ponds/lakes I have been fishing. An 8" gill maybe a monster where you`re from, but does`nt justify a second look here. I have yet to crack the 10" barrier, but have caught several 9" this season. I`m a carpenter/contractor, I read a tape for a living.

Where pannies are popular, they recieve alot more pressure, It is rare for me to share the water with another fisherman jiggin with electronics. They are not targetted here like they are in other states. For example, the Mainers toss perch to the eagles along with the pike they catch. Not looking to start another topic(allready beat to death), just stating," to each his own."  Point being , there are alot of unpressured pannies, ripe for the jiggin here in NH and ya don`t have to share your personal space with the smelly guy on the next bucket! Some of you tolerate close quarters fishing that would get ya a boot in yer arse here. Jig away...... Rott

Offline JRmate22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:22 AM »
I think it's funny when people say that they don't keep gills under 8".  An 8" gill is a monster.  The term 9" gill is thrown around way too loosely.  I, personally, say that anyone who doesn't keep a gill under 8" is full of it, or, they don't measure their fish!  Measure your fish next time and i think you'll be surprised!

I used to think I kept only 7.5 or so and bigger was surprised that 6.5 was more accurate this year after putting a tape on a lot of fish....
"He, careful man, there's a beverage here"

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:40 AM »
7" and up, unless the bite is slow, then just c/r.

Offline Bulldog83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:33 AM »
I think it's funny when people say that they don't keep gills under 8".  An 8" gill is a monster.  The term 9" gill is thrown around way too loosely.  I, personally, say that anyone who doesn't keep a gill under 8" is full of it, or, they don't measure their fish!  Measure your fish next time and i think you'll be surprised!
What he said!! We have a built in measuring tool called are hand. Mines perfect, from the tip of my middle finger to the bottom of my hand is 7". But I have some hands..lol

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:41 AM »
My thumb tip to my pinky tip is 9", and not too many have hit that mark this year.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:52 AM »
I'm lucky to fish a great gill lake,8's if I don't have any fish in the freezer,after a few trips 8.5 fish up are kept,the cat litter bucket doesn't lie,the lid to the BULL PEN as I call it is 8.5 inches.If into good perch numbers I will keep at 9.5 but no point to keeping smaller perch..

Offline _Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing's always better.....on WEED'EZ
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I only keep perch over 19", crappies over 14", and gills over 11".  So far this year I've kept 745 fish  ;D

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 27, 2011, 12:03 PM »
You need a fishin partner????

Offline Mich-Again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their comments!  I was out today and, as usual, caught an endless stream of 7" perch.  For me, they really need to be at least 9" before I'll keep them.  I don't want to bring home lots of fish... too much work to clean them.  But I can clean 6-10 fish real quick.  Problem is, since first ice I haven't caught that many keepers... and I've been fishing a LOT.  Forget about gills... nothing but dinks... probably 5-6" range... mostly hybrid sunfish.

Is anyone willing to post or PM me with suggestions for a gill + pike lake in the Muskegon area?  I can set tip-ups on Muskegon Lake, but I get bored without panfish between (rare) flags.

I tried Wolf Lake a couple times.  I drove to Twin Lake, but couldn't figure where people get on and I didn't see anyone out there (I fish mostly during the week).

Thanks again!

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Gill 8", perch 9"
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:09 PM »
I like to have 7 1/2 inch gills.  The lake I fish the most has a lot of smaller fish and some good ones as well and I find that a lot of the gills that are 8s don't provide a real difference in the fillet size.  I get a few large sunfish and really don't get a lot of meat around the ribs.  Perch have to be 8s. Like some of the guys say, if You are only keeping 9s or better I believe You are either on a fantastic lake or are full of El Toro Poo Poo.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:15 PM »

8" gill a monster???  No way.  If you rarely catch gills 8" or bigger you are not fishing the right water or you are not fishing the right places in your lakes.  Bigger gills don't get big biting the first thing they see.  Downsize your line and lures and you maybe surprised what you catch.  I put tape on my ice scoop handle at 7.5 inches and don't keep a gill smaller than that on any lakes I fish.  If it doesn't hit the tape mark, it goes back to swim again.  I use elect tape that is about 1/2 inch wide so I know it hits the far end of the tape it is 8" or more.  Keep whatever you are willing to clean and eat, but 8" gills are common in alot of lakes and are certainly not monsters.

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #42 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I only keep perch over 19", crappies over 14", and gills over 11".  So far this year I've kept 745 fish  ;D
beleive that one like (I saw the wooly mammoth last weekend ...3 of them) lmao give it up man!!!!!!
FISH:)mmm good

Offline Bulldog83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:28 PM »
That's it, 745.. Did that in December..lol

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:53 PM »
8" gill a monster???  No way.  If you rarely catch gills 8" or bigger you are not fishing the right water or you are not fishing the right places in your lakes.  Bigger gills don't get big biting the first thing they see.  Downsize your line and lures and you maybe surprised what you catch.  I put tape on my ice scoop handle at 7.5 inches and don't keep a gill smaller than that on any lakes I fish.  If it doesn't hit the tape mark, it goes back to swim again.  I use elect tape that is about 1/2 inch wide so I know it hits the far end of the tape it is 8" or more.  Keep whatever you are willing to clean and eat, but 8" gills are common in alot of lakes and are certainly not monsters.
Your right.  I know an 8" gill is not a monster.  I've caught a lot of 9" plus gills. I guess what i was trying to say is that a limit of 8" gills would be an outstanding day on the ice for me.  I would take that every time.

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Lets argue over bluegills... cmon..  ::)

I'd be happy with a limit of 6" bluegills... I catch them as big as 11"

Offline Mich-Again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:01 PM »
I've caught a few gills this year that were so freakin' small that I was actually a little proud of myself for being able to hook them!

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I've caught a few gills this year that were so freakin' small that I was actually a little proud of myself for being able to hook them!
Ha Ha!  Same here!

Offline wetfeet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:43 PM »
I have NEVER seen anybody throw a perch or gill off there plate because it was to small!!!! ;D

Offline Trek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can teach you.
« Reply #49 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:34 PM »
I love that people say they dont keep anything under 8 inches yea right. Bring a measuring tape with ya once. Me personally ill keep smaller fish if its a slow day that way I can get enough for a good meal. Course I like catchin the big ones but they arent all like that. I caught two 10 inchers last summer and those were impressive fish.
"removed"
I caught a fish once.

Offline Bulldog83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Sometimes mine look bigger at the lake, then seem to shrink when they get home..lol ;)

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #51 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:25 PM »
Sometimes mine look bigger at the lake, then seem to shrink when they get home..lol ;)
lmao ...thats fur sure ,,they all taste good!!!
FISH:)mmm good

Offline carpslayer93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:30 PM »
I'll second that........
Tight lines...fish on!!

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:35 PM »
I love that people say they dont keep anything under 8 inches yea right. Bring a measuring tape with ya once.
How the hell do you know what other people keep?
The question is what is a keeper to you, not what do you think others keep.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline runswithfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:56 PM »
if you only keep gills over 8 inches....you don't eat much fish...I'll stick to 6inches, and get fat on them

Offline Trek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can teach you.
« Reply #55 on: Feb 28, 2011, 05:39 AM »
How the hell do you know what other people keep?
The question is what is a keeper to you, not what do you think others keep.

Who pissed in your cheerios?...Im just saying I bet you if guys were to bring a tape and measure EVERY fish Im sure many would be pleasantly suprised at how many they thought were 8in, were actually under.

I dont see to many guys taking real limits of 8in gills to often.
if you only keep gills over 8 inches....you don't eat much fish...I'll stick to 6inches, and get fat on them

Im with you lol...  @)

"removed"
I caught a fish once.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #56 on: Feb 28, 2011, 08:16 AM »
ill keep what i want but for gills 7+ and crappies 9 t0 12 inch range.

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 28, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Who pissed in your cheerios?...Im just saying I bet you if guys were to bring a tape and measure EVERY fish Im sure many would be pleasantly suprised at how many they thought were 8in, were actually under.

I KNOW how big the fish I keep are, and I eat fish anytime I want.
Nobody pissed in my cheerios, I'm just tired of keyboard commandos telling other people they are lying all the time.
I would rather keep 6 nice Gills than a limit if 7"s.
That's my choice. If you disagree fine, but don't call me a liar because you keep smaller fish than I do.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline Trek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can teach you.
« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2011, 08:45 AM »
I KNOW how big the fish I keep are, and I eat fish anytime I want.
Nobody pissed in my cheerios, I'm just tired of keyboard commandos telling other people they are lying all the time.
I would rather keep 6 nice Gills than a limit if 7"s.
That's my choice. If you disagree fine, but don't call me a liar because you keep smaller fish than I do.

I never said anyone was lying, relax guy. I just ment its not likely, but more power to ya. I wasnt trying to be a "keyboard commando" lol...

I guess to me size doesnt matter to much. I mean yea I like to catch big gills and perch but if catch some that are on the smaller side Im not going to be mad about it. Has a lot do with where you fish as well. Some areas are known for bigger fish and some are known dinks.

"removed"
I caught a fish once.

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 28, 2011, 09:15 AM »

Here's to that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.