Author Topic: Chumming  (Read 17822 times)

grumpymoe

Re: Chumming
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2005, 08:30 AM »
Will perch go for grain?  I've got a ton of wheat, barley, lentils, peas, etc. for making groundbait for carp fishing and I wondered if it would be any good for icefishing.  I tried once last winter but it was a skunker of a day no matter where we went.  If wheat or lentils attracted crayfish, that ought to get the perch in, don't you think? 
...........uh oh!!!....buzzbomb.....I think that would be overdoing it abit... ;D...just might turn your spot into vegetable soup.....Grump  :roflmao:...try a pound or less

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 11, 2005, 10:35 AM »
So you haven't tried it then? :D  I imagine if it worked we'd know about it already.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:54 AM »
i will try it this year and will post the results
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Let's bump this back up to the top.  It's been dead awhile.  Anybody have any luck with chumming or anything new to try?

Thanks,Q

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:06 PM »
I chummed on Lake Erie one time.  It was because of sea sickness though. :)  I caught a 9 1/2 lb walleye right afterwods, so I would say it works.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:52 PM »
 That ain't right....

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:54 AM »
i like to cut sea smelts in little bits and and mix some oil type scent and freeze in little bags then just season each hole with a little thaw it out first as it wont sink if frozen . we can't do that in maine though :whistle:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I throw any sort of attractant down the hole that I happen to have with me, oatmeal, crackers, dead spikes, fish guts, chunks of bread, whatever I am eating...If there are fish around and somewhat active, they will continue to hang around the area, especially if there is a morsel or two to snack on...I've caught craps, perch and gills with pieces of whatever I was sinking in their mouths...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:45 AM »
My chum recipe!

1 can of cream corn, put in blender and liquefy.
1 or 2 packs of ramen noodle soup, break up real small while dry, throw away season packs.
Cook noodles, drain, put noodles on baking sheet and pat lightly dry with paper towel.
Put noodles and liquefied corn in a container, let stand overnight at room temperature. (Do Not Refrigerate)
Drain liquid off but SAVE in another container. Add corn starch to liquid to thicken into a paste.
Now you have 2 containers, one with corn scented pasta, and one with corn paste.
Salt your ice holes with pasta. Noodles will sink and wiggle slowly down.
Use corn paste on jigs and lures. (You can mix in a little petroleum jelly to make it stick better).
Fish love the scent of corn and the pasta is digestable by the fish which corn kernels are not.
WORKS GREAT!!!!!

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Im going to try that :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.