Author Topic: Jigging tips - Fish coming but not bitting  (Read 5644 times)

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
Re: Jigging tips - Fish coming but not bitting
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Lure of choice for me has been a gold kastmaster 1/12 with 2-3 waxworms. I fished that combo all season. good results, i thought.
me too!  that has caught me 95% of my fish this season.  though i usually only use about 1 and a half waxworms.
Waiting for the ice

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:37 PM »
2500 lol

and thats funny why? in a 9 day period in late December I landed OVER 300 walleyes (and there are members on this board on the ice many of those days with me who also put up great numbers  ;))   Doing 100+ gills a day on many of the waters around here is a common occurrence. I guess I am spoiled being able to fish almost every day if I choose (being self employed has its perks), and having logged in 40+ days already this season with many being 75-100+ fish days you can do the math  :)

Yes, I've gotten skunked a few times this season, and had a few poor days, but the great days have more than made up for them  ;D ;D

2,500 fish jigging in one season and only 2 on tip ups.... your tip ups must suck !

I don't set tip-ups for anything other than pike, musky and stripers so I don't expect a lot of flags. If I'm gonna go through the trouble of setting them, I'm dropping down 7-18" baits
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:22 PM »

I don't set tip-ups for anything other than pike, musky and stripers so I don't expect a lot of flags. If I'm gonna go through the trouble of setting them, I'm dropping down 7-18" baits

And there's a strategy for catching big fish!!! ;D ;D

Offline donho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Does your pay to fish lake take visa? ;)

Offline laketrout1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:28 PM »
You guys depend to much on all those fancy electronics. I could set up next to you guys with my $7.95 spring bobber pole with my little bucket and catch just as much if not more with no electronics.
like to know how u use that bobber can u give me some tips how to hook it up but anyway i like not knowing whats going to happen jigging those finders take the sport out of it
Leave no flag up

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:27 AM »
like to know how u use that bobber can u give me some tips how to hook it up but anyway i like not knowing whats going to happen jigging those finders take the sport out of it

Read this article and look at the pic of the St. Croix rod with a spring bobber built into the rod. You can buy them separately and attached them to the last eyelet on the rod

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/ouroutdoors2.php

http://www.htent.com/catalog/inventory.php?fam=141&cat=72

STB-2M & STB-3 would be my preference.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Does your pay to fish lake take visa? ;)

::) ::)   I pay my NJ, NY and PA fishing licenses costs, so when you buy them online they do take Visa  :roflmao: :roflmao:   If you put your time in and learn bodies of waters, high numbers are nothing out of the ordinary. Theres plenty of guys I know up in NY who think nothing to get 300+ panfish per day on some waters (and I've personally seen it done as I sit there and scratched my head  ;) ;)

Also helps when you know spots on rivers where eyes stack up and no one else will walk to or no one else feels comfortable fishing (5 of us all had a 100+ fish day back in Dec, thats 500+ walleyes outta ONE pool in ONE day  ;)), you can have absolute field days  ;D ;D

You guys can believe my numbers or not, feel free to think I'm fishing some pay lakes or that I'm fishing public lakes and rivers. I could really care less, theres more than enough guys on here who have fished with me quite a bit this season and the past 6+ that can vouch for where I am and what I'm getting and I'd rather go pop some holes and get blown across the lake than sit here anymore because some people refuse to believe anything I say  :whistle: :whistle:

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:15 AM »
and thats funny why? in a 9 day period in late December I landed OVER 300 walleyes (and there are members on this board on the ice many of those days with me who also put up great numbers  ;))   Doing 100+ gills a day on many of the waters around here is a common occurrence. I guess I am spoiled being able to fish almost every day if I choose (being self employed has its perks), and having logged in 40+ days already this season with many being 75-100+ fish days you can do the math  :)

Yes, I've gotten skunked a few times this season, and had a few poor days, but the great days have more than made up for them  ;D ;D

Sounds like one heck of a walleye spot. Do you do overnight trips? I used to fish for them up in CT but haven't targeted them down here yet. I've seen some monsters from 7-14lbs come out up in CT...what a rush. I don't see why 2500 fish is unbelievable for someone who puts in a lot of time. If I jigged a lot I'm sure I'd be up there but most of the time I just set out big dead baits for pike. I'm working on my Esox straight for this season, right now I have an open ended draw: 36,37,38,39. Still 1' of ice on some of the pike lakes so there's still time.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:44 AM »
2500 is believable. A few times I've stopped fishing just to watch and wonder how top notch fishermen manage to outfish me 10 to one.

Offline Denlon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing is Ever Easy
« Reply #39 on: Feb 19, 2011, 02:18 PM »

I also do not carry tip ups. 

Generally I only carry my sled, a cooler, a small seat, a slush spoon, and my rod and sonar.  And that's it

I suggest that an auger, ice spud, axe, or something to cut a hole in the ice might be helpful. ;D
Denny
Nothing is Ever Easy!

Offline fishsammich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Sorry, I forgot a couple of things. 

But really, I travel light.  I try to anyway.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Jesus ski, you fish monroe, emerald, gruber, and laurel, anyone can land 2500 fish a season fishing those 4 lakes. 

And the aquarium pool on the Susquy, a blind child with no arms could land 100 walleye from that pool.  Heck, a well trained dog could land a limit.  Heckx2, I am no where near a jiggin fool and got 100+ walleye from there when the ice was good.

Geez ski, what was out best day fishing under rte 80 on the Delaware, a place no other human being or animal would venture to fish?  Sucks we never got out on the ice in front of the Portland Power Plant.

Credibility in being a master jigger is not in your favor buddy.

Dr. JM

My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Jesus ski, you fish monroe, emerald, gruber, and laurel, anyone can land 2500 fish a season fishing those 4 lakes. 

And the aquarium pool on the Susquy, a blind child with no arms could land 100 walleye from that pool.  Heck, a well trained dog could land a limit.  Heckx2, I am no where near a jiggin fool and got 100+ walleye from there when the ice was good.

Geez ski, what was out best day fishing under rte 80 on the Delaware, a place no other human being or animal would venture to fish?  Sucks we never got out on the ice in front of the Portland Power Plant.

Credibility in being a master jigger is not in your favor buddy.

Dr. JM

I've hit Monroe twice this whole year (and with the exception of 1 private lake in NJ its the only time spent on private water)...both times with you and your dad, the other 3 I haven't touched in 2 or 3 seasons now. Funny thing is I've done more 50+ fish days on the "highly overfished public lakes" you hate so much than I have on Monroe where everything is "so easy"  :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:00 PM »
I've hit Monroe twice this whole year (and with the exception of 1 private lake in NJ its the only time spent on private water)...both times with you and your dad, the other 3 I haven't touched in 2 or 3 seasons now. Funny thing is I've done more 50+ fish days on the "highly overfished public lakes" you hate so much than I have on Monroe where everything is "so easy"  :cookoo: :cookoo:

Ever read the Oneida thread in NY? Those boys catch some fish there too! Wish I could have some days like that around here. I only get to go on weekends, both days is a real treat, but usually only once. I don't think I caught 1000 fish the whole of 2010!!!!  >:( >:( >:( A 20 fish day at Mt. Hope was one of our better days and that was 2 of us. I must be fishing the wrong places.

I did have one day last spring when I caught 75-100 perch, white perch and crappie though. That was sweet. Every cast fish on in 10 seconds or less.

Maybe I can remedy that when I head up to the estuary at the mouth of the Salmon River in September. Got a friend that said he had like 75 hook ups in one day with monster Salmon last September. I'm going this year!!!!! I want that 25 lber. He said his arms were so tired he would just cut the line rather than have the fish pull the boat around and try to land another one. Dang, wish I was there.......... SOOOOOOOOOOON!!!

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:15 PM »
I'm not a big traveler but when pals headed for sodus or syracuse i sharpened my knife to help clean the thousand dinks they brought back.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:40 PM »
I'm not a big traveler but when pals headed for sodus or syracuse i sharpened my knife to help clean the thousand dinks they brought back.

Some of them Walleye are not dinks and boy are they tasty.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Some of them Walleye are not dinks and boy are they tasty.

If he's talking about Sodus he most likely means perch.  ;)  As to the big eyes outta Lake Ontario  :sick: :sick: :sick:  No thanks.

I still haven't made it up to Onieda for eyes. Went up last winter with my buddy and a few local guys but they wanted to hit Big Bay for gills and crappies so thats what we did. Certainly didn't kill them but we filled a bucket between us. If I had my wheeler registered or a snowmobile I'd be up there quite a bit. Unless you have it down well like Snag does staying on the eyes up there from 1 day to the next is almost impossible

Maybe I can remedy that when I head up to the estuary at the mouth of the Salmon River in September. Got a friend that said he had like 75 hook ups in one day with monster Salmon last September. I'm going this year!!!!! I want that 25 lber. He said his arms were so tired he would just cut the line rather than have the fish pull the boat around and try to land another one. Dang, wish I was there.......... SOOOOOOOOOOON!!!

If you hit the run perfect 75-100+ hookup days as do able on ANY of the tribs. Last year I was up with my brother and we worked hard for 5 hookups. Went back the next weekend and you couldn't get any offering to hit the water without hooking up. The trick was feeling for which felt like they were mouth hooked before setting the hook. At 1 point I had my bro net 4 jacks for me before he threw the net at me and told me to net my own fish  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:00 PM »
If he's talking about Sodus he most likely means perch.  ;)  As to the big eyes outta Lake Ontario  :sick: :sick: :sick:  No thanks.

I still haven't made it up to Onieda for eyes. Went up last winter with my buddy and a few local guys but they wanted to hit Big Bay for gills and crappies so thats what we did. Certainly didn't kill them but we filled a bucket between us. If I had my wheeler registered or a snowmobile I'd be up there quite a bit. Unless you have it down well like Snag does staying on the eyes up there from 1 day to the next is almost impossible

If you hit the run perfect 75-100+ hookup days as do able on ANY of the tribs. Last year I was up with my brother and we worked hard for 5 hookups. Went back the next weekend and you couldn't get any offering to hit the water without hooking up. The trick was feeling for which felt like they were mouth hooked before setting the hook. At 1 point I had my bro net 4 jacks for me before he threw the net at me and told me to net my own fish  :roflmao: :roflmao:

I figured he was talking about perch and you are correct. All the locals have a huge advantage, they know where to go. Snags buddy, Lambastem wanted to take us for eyes on Oneida the last weekend in September. I was up at the SR then. He said come along and we'll limit out in a half hour. We passed on it but he did what he said. One of these days I'll take them up on it and it doesn't have to be on ice.

I'm looking forward to hookin up with 75 Salmon in a day they fight like heck and at the estuary they are real fresh and strong. Tightlines!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.