Author Topic: bowfin: To kill or not to kill?  (Read 13697 times)

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: bowfin: To kill or not to kill?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:48 AM »
When we catch them bass fishing we filet them and throw them right over the side of the boat. after we stab them one hundred times poke their eyes out anything we can do to harm them. They are nasty and serve no purpose besides reaking havoc on equipment. They do put up a good fight but we kill everyone we catch.
Wow, did you have a tuff childhood growing up?!?! lol
I say if your not going to put them to good use, release them...or give them to somebody that will!

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Wow :o!We go spearing every summer & we take quite a few of these along with some Gar & Carp,they are ALL considered Rough fish & it is perfectly Legal to Bow hunt & spear these fish.I can respect if people want to release their own fish they catch ,but dont bash others for not doing the same as you if they are Legal!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Personally, I have never caught one, but, I have eliminated many gar and dogfish thru the years. Oh, almost forgot the GOBIES. KILL THEM ALL.

Offline Skunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • All I want is fish with Teeth
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:52 AM »
This is probably the most ignorant board I have read since joining Iceshanty.
Does anyone ever wonder if people from other states venture on to these boards to see what hoosier anglers have to say? I sure hope they don't end up in this board- but realize that the opinion and bad behavior of select individuals doesn't extend to good, respectful fishermen.

Don't worry we do but hear in NY we had the same topic regarding bowfin and even a couple for pickeral. Very sad!!!!!!  But I hope its just a few select individuals who act this way.
100% Catch and release!!!!!!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Wow :o!We go spearing every summer & we take quite a few of these along with some Gar & Carp,they are ALL considered Rough fish & it is perfectly Legal to Bow hunt & spear these fish.I can respect if people want to release their own fish they catch ,but dont bash others for not doing the same as you if they are Legal!

I don't see anyone saying you can't spear or bow fish for them where legal  But to catch them on hook and line, mutilate them and throw them back in the water is illegal.  Just like it is illegal if you throw a spreared carp, dogfish or gar back in the water once dead.  IF you are going to kill it, use it.  Does not have to be for eating, but use it for fertilizer or dispose of it properly somewhere besides back in the lake.  I believe this is the point they are trying to make.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Don't worry we do but hear in NY we had the same topic regarding bowfin and even a couple for pickeral. Very sad!!!!!!  But I hope its just a few select individuals who act this way.
Wow, when I lived in new england pickerel were as common as northern. If my memory serves me correct they are very good tablefare.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2011, 02:50 PM »
i dont have a use for them so they get released.  i have lost more than one buzz bait to their jaws!  real nasty attitude like bullheads. lol  great hitters and fighters too. 

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline nick bonvillian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:02 PM »

1.) Bowfin are native predators- perhaps the oldest predators we have in our natural lakes. Just like any predator, they serve a role in controlling prey species- from panfish to minnows.

2.) Killing and wrecklessly disposing of any fish or wildlife is illegal. Below is the regulation regarding wanton waste:

"The intentional waste and destruction of fish is prohibited unless the fish is required by law to be killed. Fish must not be mutilated and returned to the water unless the fish is lawfully used as bait. Fish parts, including entrails, must not be discarded into any state waters, but should be disposed of in a sanitary manner that does not pollute the water or become detrimental to public health or comfort."

Does anyone ever wonder if people from other states venture on to these boards to see what hoosier anglers have to say? I sure hope they don't end up in this board- but realize that the opinion and bad behavior of select individuals doesn't extend to good, respectful fishermen.

i agree

Offline BIGBOB69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:11 PM »
just had a similar topic in the mass. forum and most people were on the same page about killing a fish for no reason is wrong. the bowfin are one of the oldest fish still swimming (2nd to gar). just take a second and call a local fisheries biologist and he will tell you that there is no reason to kill such a great fish. anyone who cares,there is a website:  bowfin anglers group and there is some great info on bowfin.   GOOD FISHIN
may the good lord help me to see the day when i catch the one that got away

Offline LPiceFishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:43 PM »
Now wait a minute ppl... I didn't start this topic for ppl to get mad about.....Just trying to educate myself about this...Just so happend to see a local game warden today at the bait shop and brought this topic up to him.. He says that studies have shown that these fish DO deplete fish populations by sucking eggs out of beds during spawn. He encouraged me to remove them when caught but also said that I could catch 100 of them and still not affect most lakes bowfin pop.. I think I will release them from now on simply because I don't want those nasty critters in my sled, bed of truck, or near anything I want to touch again.
                                               Thanx for all the posts,   LP
Just joined PETA: people eating tasty animals

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:51 PM »

1.) Bowfin are native predators- perhaps the oldest predators we have in our natural lakes. Just like any predator, they serve a role in controlling prey species- from panfish to minnows.

2.) Killing and wrecklessly disposing of any fish or wildlife is illegal. Below is the regulation regarding wanton waste:

"The intentional waste and destruction of fish is prohibited unless the fish is required by law to be killed. Fish must not be mutilated and returned to the water unless the fish is lawfully used as bait. Fish parts, including entrails, must not be discarded into any state waters, but should be disposed of in a sanitary manner that does not pollute the water or become detrimental to public health or comfort."

I agree 100%, and I'm shocked  at the level of ignorance in the posts I have read. Like Gar, because a Bowfin "looks"  like a killer fish so let's just kill it. A study done in Minn. showed that larger adult bass eat more young of the year sport fish than Gar and Bowfin combined. Bowfin are a NATIVE speices and the DNR guide books states this clearly. Based on your thinking I should "kill" ugly people becuase they look different. Really ? Come on people , spend 5 minutes on the net and educate yourself. I'm almost ashamed to be a Indiana angler with the attitude and ignorances in which these post were written, " kill 'em all !! ha ha " I 'm glad to see we have so many Biologist here on the site, thanks for your advice  ::)

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Now wait a minute ppl... I didn't start this topic for ppl to get mad about.....Just trying to educate myself about this...Just so happend to see a local game warden today at the bait shop and brought this topic up to him.. He says that studies have shown that these fish DO deplete fish populations by sucking eggs out of beds during spawn. He encouraged me to remove them when caught but also said that I could catch 100 of them and still not affect most lakes bowfin pop.. I think I will release them from now on simply because I don't want those nasty critters in my sled, bed of truck, or near anything I want to touch again.
                                               Thanx for all the posts,   LP

I would consult a Fisheries Biologist, not a Warden, they both help manage our fisheries but in different ways.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I would consult a Fisheries Biologist, not a Warden, they both help manage our fisheries but in different ways.

I second that, wardens are not biologist and sometime know less about fish than you think.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:10 PM »
bowfin are an invasive species and anytime i catch one i make sure to kill it. bet it was fun to catch through the ice !!

Don't be silly they're native.  ;D In fact they've been here much longer than the other species. It's doubtful they eat any more prey fish than other predators including us!

BTW if you think they're trash fish think again. They are being tested in aquaculture settings for a caviar replacement for sturgeon.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:12 PM »
there a native fish been around for millions of years fun to catch and its pretty ignorant to kill them for no reason

Agreed!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:22 PM »
I second that, wardens are not biologist and sometime know less about fish than you think.
absolutely agree 100% even if they mean well

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:41 PM »
When we catch them bass fishing we filet them and throw them right over the side of the boat. after we stab them one hundred times poke their eyes out anything we can do to harm them. They are nasty and serve no purpose besides reaking havoc on equipment. They do put up a good fight but we kill everyone we catch.
A fish (or any organism) does not have to serve an economic purpose to exist. Species are valuable just for the sake of diversity and the fact they fill a specific ecological niche. Destroying a species because some consider it a "nuisance" is reckless and irresponsible. The preservation of native species is a cornerstone of conservation and sadly diversity is something that is being destroyed at an alarming rate and once lost, it cannot be replaced-Just my $.02 :tipup:

Offline wawaseebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Didn't intend to fire anyone up. The question was asked kill or not kill. I simply stated that we kill them when we catch them. Sorry if I went into to much detail. Tight lines everyone.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Didn't intend to fire anyone up. The question was asked kill or not kill. I simply stated that we kill them when we catch them. Sorry if I went into to much detail. Tight lines everyone.

Your fine, if anything maybe some good came out of this and some of our fellow anglers have been educated about the Bwofin and other "rough" fish being a equal part of the ecosystem and food chain.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Your fine, if anything maybe some good came out of this and some of our fellow anglers have been educated about the Bwofin and other "rough" fish being a equal part of the ecosystem and food chain.
agreed, nothing wrong with some discussion :tipup:

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:55 PM »
They are a nasty fish, and beware don't lip them. Back when I was still doing Taxidermy, I mounted one for a kid who caught it at Max.. Nastist fish I ever skinned. When hooked they do put up a good fight, caught several at Max myself in the summertime and I tossed them back but maybe I should have killed it.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline bass_in_ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:00 PM »
well i think it is stupid to kill a fish for no reason, they are native not exotic. bowfin is the same thing as dogfish, my wife caught one before asnd it is a cool looking fish. it has teeth, cool. what if i thought walleyes were ugly and decided to kill every one i caught and throw them on the bank to rot, or muskies because they have teth and brake off a few of my lures while i bass fish. i bet a lot of people would be tick off big time.

Offline dakota

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I was always brought up "You kill it you grill it" Respect nature and what it gives us, if you dont want it put it back, the only fish I kill(because its the law) and dont eat are gobies on Lake Michigan. never tried eatin them but if I was hungry enough I just might. I keep alot of what I catch and I eat it. Usually have fish at least once a week, if I dont want to keep them I release them.
Semper Fi            ;IGY6
I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2011, 10:59 PM »
bowfin are an invasive species and anytime i catch one i make sure to kill it. bet it was fun to catch through the ice !!

They are not invasive at all.  They are native to almost every body of water in the midwest.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:10 PM »
NO! there important to our eco-system.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:35 PM »
I think it's time to kill this thread. 

-Jeff

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2011, 03:30 PM »
They are a nasty fish, and beware don't lip them. Back when I was still doing Taxidermy, I mounted one for a kid who caught it at Max.. Nastist fish I ever skinned. When hooked they do put up a good fight, caught several at Max myself in the summertime and I tossed them back but maybe I should have killed it.

I do one once in a while for customers and other taxidermists, heck even did a gar not long ago. The flesh is mushy that's for sure.

Offline lockdude#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 18, 2011, 11:04 AM »
I also go to Reelfoot Lake every year. The owner of the resort said if you cut off the head and hang them upside down so they will bleed out that they actually do not taste that bad at all. I will have to take his word on that though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.