New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: pop up shelters in the wind  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
Re: pop up shelters in the wind
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:20 AM »
I have broken a hub on my Clam Expedition in -10°F weather...Screwed the day seeing I couldn't hide from the wind. I called Clam and had 2 replacement parts shipped to me free(took 2 days to get to me). IDK why they gave me 2 when I broke 1...maybe they were trying to give a piece offering or anticipating it breaking again?

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:35 AM »
 I was also on Sodus bay Saturday when the wind stated to blow with me clam expition. I put all 4 anchors in the skirt then but 2 more on the hubs as the wind started to pick up. (I was set up before it REALLY got windy!) I always like to keep my foot on the skirting no matter how windy it is and have every thing right at hand.  Only thing is the wind switch directions on me and had one side blow in. Ended up putting 7 anchors in the ice but the shelter handled it well. Was fun taking it down. I left one of the hub anchors in till i had it folded up on the ice.

This is the second year for my clam and Saturday was by far the worse windy day I have had it in and it held up well.

"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:59 AM »
I have an eskimo quickfish3, 6'x6'   I fished saturday alone, setup & took down in the wind. Blowing 40+.  First Set the shanty on the ice flat so that the wind is hitting a corner, not directly on 1 hub, this will put 1 corner basically in the front. Anchor that corner before doing anything else.  Then anchor the other 3 corners,  get used to how far out the anchors for the ropes should be, put 2 anchors in for the hub ropes front side back won't need any.  popout front hubs take your pick which 1st  @ same time put rope around anchor immeadiately.  Then back, then roof.  Not fun, but not that tough.
When taking down, same in reverse EXCEPT leave the anchors for the hub ropes in the ice, take the ropes off, collapse shanty, remove skirt anchors from back to front.  Here's the trick, as you remove the last corner anchor from the front side, just leave it on the ice for now, hold shanty down, keep 1 hub rope out as you roll up shanty, before doing anything else re-attach hub rope to one of the anchors you left in the ice.  This will keep the shanty from going anywhere as you begin to put it back in the bag.  Once you have the bag 1/2 way over the shanty blowing away is no longer a threat.  disconnect the rope, finish bagging, the pickup any anchors still left on or in the ice.
1st pick look closely and the rods especially the one on the left they appear to be bent down, but they're bent in a bit.  The hub stays out, the bottom out due to anchors, rods bow in the middle.
2nd pick storm over, sunny skies, blowing so hard still a whiteout, frabill shanty not much over 50-60 yards away, can't see shoreline.

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:18 PM »
I learned quite a bit about my pop up in the wind today. The wind advisory from the weather channel warned about 50 mph gusts. I'd say it was at least that, with steady 15 mph winds the whole day.

The ice anchors worked great, except for the warm temps softened the ice. No matter how deep I screwed them in, they would eventually come close to pulling free. I'm going to buy another set of four anchors and use two on each side in that kind of weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.