Author Topic: Tire chains Vs cables Vs....  (Read 14516 times)

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
Re: Tire chains Vs cables Vs....
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2011, 03:44 AM »
$ 114 for my truck at at Greggs Dist. 245 70R 16 They carry cable type as well, (little clearance) type. If I get any it will be chain type tho. I think there are cheaper places around.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 19, 2011, 04:11 AM »
in my line of work we run chains on trucks all the time through out the winter months.    The chains we buy will fit all tires that they are intended for,  the chains are made slightly longer than they need to be.   How ever tire that are sold will vary greatly for all suppose to be the same size.   Shorten a set to fit your tires with out any excess you should not have any troubles.  Its is loose chains or the piece of side chain tghat will damage the truck.  Oh and by the way the newer trucks are getting hard to chain without damage but cane be done. :)

Offline crblair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:56 AM »
I just bought a set for my Chev 1500. I had a lot of trouble trying to fit my 265 65 R18 tires. According to there books they dont even make a chain to fit my tire size but this old guy at Continental Chain pulled out his calculator and figured a set of V320 chains would do the job based on dimensions. He had a guy go out and put them on my truck to make sure and low and behold they fit great; nice and tight too. Just goes to show that some of you guys who say you cant get chains for you truck might be able to after all.

Happy Fishing

Offline Haukki Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:13 AM »
I picked up a set a couple of weeks back through Town and Country Supply in Ponoka.  They brought them in from their supplier in Red Deer.  They are V-bar chains and were too big for my 31X10.5x15 tires.  I just cut out one of the cross chains, still ended up keeping all three cams, and they fit pretty good.  I did what TravIce suggested and put the truck in the air with a small floor jack first.  I also used 3 9" rubber bungees to take up the slack and it worked like a charm.  I have not put chains on a vehicle myself before guys, but seriously, now even with jacking up the truck...I can have them installed with my son's help stretching out the bungees (they're really tight), we are chained up in 10-15 mins MAX!  Uninstall takes not even 5 mins.  The added traction they give is unbelievable!  Close to the best $147 I have ever spent.

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Just make sure you secure the loose ends so they're not slapping around.  They will wreck things in a real hurry if you let them. 

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Do not buy the chains at Greggs.....Junk !
As you see in the picture he is using bungees to hold it tight...Wrong

Go to Continantal Chain in Edmonton. Tell them your tire size and they will build you a much better set At a lower price !
with built in tighteners !
I bought a set from greggs openned the bag ,cloesed it and returned them,Junk ..also made in China !
Contintal were $20.00 cheeper and built better !
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:03 PM »
As you see in the picture he is using bungees to hold it tight...Wrong

So why is this wrong???   Even with proper fitting chains, I always run a couple of bungees as extra insurance.  I also wire up the loose ends, and sometimes if I plan on really doing some digging, I'll even wire the cam locks, just so I know I've done everything to prevent a mishap...

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:32 PM »
The set I got from greggs had no cam locks,the set I got from continental chain had 3 cam locks per chain .
After tightening up i could not get my fingers between chain and tires ....very tight.
It is a good idea to wirer up the cams if you plan on leaving them on for days,but never lost mine yet .
Greggs chains do not have hardened V bars ,they use cut off halfs of chains .These wear very fast.
I shop lots at Greggs,but the chains are junk.
Even the service counter guy could not believe they had no cams.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 10, 2011, 05:41 AM »
My chains are from Greggs, there's no cam-locks but they are definitely hardened. The first time I put them on, I drove my 5200lb truck around a bare pavement street and it didn't even leave a mark on them. As for the no cam locks, I've driven with them for extended periods and never had a problem with them coming loose. I just put them on the standard drive-on way, 2 bungee cords per side to take any slack and drive with the recommended caution ( no spinning or skidding the tires). I haven't had any issues yet.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.