New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: This months Conservationist  (Read 3225 times)

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: This months Conservationist
« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:55 AM »
So today’s question is: Has anyone seen and can produce a new DEC Law, or revision to present law on ice shanties to include pop up sleds? This post is based on the answer of two ECO’s writing articles for the Conservationist. This is their personal interpretation and for all one can gather here it my never become any more then a comment. Time for you hard water attorneys to go to work!  ;D

Offline tomsoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:15 PM »
If anyone out there hears about someone getting a ticket for this, please post it on iceshanty.com.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:35 PM »
So today’s question is: Has anyone seen and can produce a new DEC Law, or revision to present law on ice shanties to include pop up sleds? This post is based on the answer of two ECO’s writing articles for the Conservationist. This is their personal interpretation and for all one can gather here it my never become any more then a comment. Time for you hard water attorneys to go to work!  ;D

Here is what is written as the law. NY DEC REGULATIONS- "Ice shanties"

Ice shanties must be marked on the outside with the owner=s name and address in letters at least 3 inches high. Shanties must be removed from all waters by March 15 to prevent them from falling through the ice in spring and becoming navigational hazards.

The ECO's answered a question asked by a reader regarding POP UP or Portables which is what caused this entire debate. According to the ECO's in the Conservationist article as well as the info I got straight from the Region 3 Lieutenant, A Shanty is "Any Structure" and there is no mention of permanent or portable. Accordingly, an ECO or Forest Ranger certainly could ticket you but it remains doubtful that many would. Feel free to take your chances and do as you please. Dumb law? SURE but a law still the same. It really is not open for debate here and just because any of us don't like or agree with it has little to do with it. I am personally aware of 3 DEC Officials who have verified this laws existence and it's interpretation.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:44 PM »
Was checked today. Usual look at tip-ups and license. Then the ECO asked if my name was on my portable Shappell shanty. I said no, I thought it was for permanent ones. He said yes, the law was written for the permanent ones before portables even existed. But a portable was left out overnight in his area, was unoccupied and reported stolen this year. A dumb thing to do but it shows a portable could become permanent by some. I told him I'd label it and he said he didn't care but someone asked in the Conservationist and "someone" in the department said all have to be. Friendly exchange and the guy was decent enough but I have the feeling there may be that kind of "by the way" comments for a while and then maybe tickets will start in a year or two or the next regulation booklet will say all shelters must be labeled.

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:39 AM »
It is not a DEC law, it is a navigation law.  Also, what is printed in the fishing or hunting guides that you get with your license is not the actual law but more of a translation of what is in the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) books, without the legalese.  My sled will remain untagged.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.