The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Who Remembers?? Some thoughts on ice fishing Lake Champlain  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Who Remembers?? Some thoughts on ice fishing Lake Champlain
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:31 PM »
My hardwater start, memories going out on the big lake with my dad, clad in wool/chopper mitts/not so water proof winter boots in the 60's with hand lines, big sinkers, super sized silver spoons, double hooked and 5 gallon buckets filling them effortlessly with smelt. 

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:03 AM »
Fishing north of Tabors Point, out from the big red barn, for walleyes back in the late '70's with my Dad.  The lake would be a parking lot, walleyes were plentiful, using the "walleye tilts", great memories.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:13 AM »

I grew up hearing stories of how Liquor was run into the bay from Canada during prohibition.  The guy who owned the camp next door had a boat that had a big ford motor.  They'd run it into the bay out in front of the camp and scuttle it next to shore, then unloaded the liquor the next day.  Pull the boat up the next day and get the motor cleaned out and running again for another booze run to Phillipsburg. 

Right across the lake from my normal stomping grounds is the wreck of a former racing boat that sunk while on a booze run. I heard the stories of it burning when I was a kid.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Lazybones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Awesome thread. St Albans bay covered with shanties, couldn't drive a straight line from one end to the other if your life depended on it. I making a couple new wooden jig sticks right now. Anyone know where I can get a couple flat shiney metal "flashers" or "skooters" as we used to call them?

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:50 AM »
That original post sure brings back memories.  I used to love going to Bushey's Sporting Goods in St. A with my Dad!  He had everything you could ever need in there .... from guns and ammo right down to bikes and toys.  We icefished St.Albans Bay a lot back then, and never had problems finding perch.  I wasn't very good at pulling in handlines without getting the line all knotted up, so when I got a bite I'd throw the jig stick onto my shoulder and run until the fish popped out of the hole!  Drew a line on the snow so I knew how far to run.  Great times.

I remember Dad and I meeting my uncle and cousins on Shelburne bay to go smelt fishing.  My uncle had a shanty in the shanty-town there in the early 70's.  My cousins and I had a blast pulling them in one after another.  There were coathangers nailed to the walls that the line was tied to.  Just watch the tip of the coathanger for signs of a bite.   

And I still have my father-in-laws metal minnow bucket and we used his old "one armed bandit" Jiffy auger up until last year.  Still have several wooden jig sticks, but don't use them very often anymore.  Probably should get them out this weekend.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:12 AM »
That original post sure brings back memories.  I used to love going to Bushey's Sporting Goods in St. A with my Dad!  He had everything you could ever need in there .... from guns and ammo right down to bikes and toys.  We icefished St.Albans Bay a lot back then, and never had problems finding perch.  I wasn't very good at pulling in handlines without getting the line all knotted up, so when I got a bite I'd throw the jig stick onto my shoulder and run until the fish popped out of the hole!  Drew a line on the snow so I knew how far to run.  Great times.

I remember Dad and I meeting my uncle and cousins on Shelburne bay to go smelt fishing.  My uncle had a shanty in the shanty-town there in the early 70's.  My cousins and I had a blast pulling them in one after another.  There were coathangers nailed to the walls that the line was tied to.  Just watch the tip of the coathanger for signs of a bite.   

And I still have my father-in-laws metal minnow bucket and we used his old "one armed bandit" Jiffy auger up until last year.  Still have several wooden jig sticks, but don't use them very often anymore.  Probably should get them out this weekend.

Does PerchBait know how old you really are??
Dick

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Don't worry, I reminded him plenty last weekend when we were dragging all of our crap onto Caspian.  Made him take "the big sled" for a while so I could rest my back!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Brandy of the day !!! Remember warming up in the shanty one day, probably about 9yrs. old then, thirsty as hell so I grabbed o ROOT BEER outa the six pack.......whoa haw !!!!!!!!!!  Warmed up nicely...quick ! Ol Bob had snuck his booze outa the house again !!!!! :woot:

The first sip of booze I ever had was blackberry brandy from the shanty.  My bud and I rode our snowmobiles (73 Panthers) over the mountain on a Friday night to smelt fish on St. Catherine.  It took a couple double dog dares, but eventually, we had a taste.  Hated it, but swore it was delicious...

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Bumping this up from the archives, was fun re-reading figured some new folks here might like to add to it as well  :tipup:

Nice work Lav, I love threads like this.  Our kids are building these memories today, but won't realize how important they are until they're our age. 

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Awesome thread. St Albans bay covered with shanties, couldn't drive a straight line from one end to the other if your life depended on it. I making a couple new wooden jig sticks right now. Anyone know where I can get a couple flat shiney metal "flashers" or "skooters" as we used to call them?

They sell them at Lakeshore Ace on Malletts Bay. They sell old fashioned braided line too- not that I still use the stuff or anything.  ;)

Randy

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:35 PM »
I remember ice fishing with my dad and his buddy on Champlain by the Ticonderoga bridge back in the early 50's.  Sometime guy would come by on a tractor with an old post hole drill and would drill holes for 10 cents each.  Two feet of ice and a hand chisel my dad made at work made that an easy decision.  One time we were on the ice and got buzzed by a fighter jet from the Air Force base and saw him fly under the bridge, was in the paper the next day.  We stayed at Gores cabins till they burned down then stayed at the Vergenes Inn for a number of years.  A lot of great memories.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:46 PM »
I miss the shanty-cities the most. There was a sort of magic about them when I was a kid.

Not that I'd switch out my portable for a big wooden beast though because I have no place to put one, nor an army of fellow fishermen to help drag it out and back. A forty lb fishing shanty that folds up is one modern convenience that was well worth the $.

Randy

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Got my start ice fishing for perch on Shelburne Bay in the late 80's.  I fished brooks and ponds my whole life but winters were for skiing.  When I got to UVM, ice fishing was cheap entertainment that (best of all) included beer.  The beer was really important in those days.   

Two or three bibbets, perch eyes for bait, and a slotted spaghetti spoon to pick ice out of holes.  I still have the jigging stick I bought at Datillio's.  Carried everything (including the beer) around in my Jansport knapsack.  Had a fish fry (and more beer) back at the dorm. 

Over the years we acquired some tip ups and started fishing for salmon north of the Sandbar.  We were moving up.  One day it was so cold that we cut holes in Blue Seal feed bags and wore them over our jackets to keep warm.  Hard to believe that was 30 years ago. 

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:06 AM »
Nice work Lav, I love threads like this.  Our kids are building these memories today, but won't realize how important they are until they're our age.

Right on Pete and MAN the kids grow fast. I love doing stuff with my kids, they are a riot and to see them light up with "fish on" is pretty special.  :tipup:

Offline Lazybones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:03 AM »
They sell them at Lakeshore Ace on Malletts Bay. They sell old fashioned braided line too- not that I still use the stuff or anything.  ;)

Thank you!

Offline Sullivan130

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:59 PM »
My lovely wife, Francena, was born in Ticonderoga in 1951. Her uncle Robert Breen, an RPI graduate and sportsman, who was born in Port Henry, introduced me and my children to smelt fishing in the lake off of Port Henry in the early 80's using handlines.
We used to stay at an old firetrap of an inn, called the King's Ransom, if I recall correctly, in Port Henry. The outfitter was Fred Rowe, who died of a stroke years ago. He was quite a character, always driving us out to our assigned shanty with his door open. His language was colorful but his character was pure.
We caught smelt, yellow perch and I once caught a whitefish, always jigging. We fished for a few years before other activities overtook us.
Francie, Bob and Fred have unfortunately all passed away but my boys, now in their thirties, have organized a trip for this February in Missisquoi Bay in Vermont for yellow perch , maybe whites and pike.
It won't be the same but it will be something.
Thanks for reminding me about what used to be.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:57 AM »
 ;D For a newbie with only two posts that was a great one :tipup: :tipup:
Dick

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Great read guys!  I remember my dad cursing at the spoon type auger and when he got the 1st jiffy power auger with the single nut buster handle.   I remember him chopping his holes with the chisel

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2017, 03:07 PM »
My lovely wife, Francena, was born in Ticonderoga in 1951. Her uncle Robert Breen, an RPI graduate and sportsman, who was born in Port Henry, introduced me and my children to smelt fishing in the lake off of Port Henry in the early 80's using handlines.
We used to stay at an old firetrap of an inn, called the King's Ransom, if I recall correctly, in Port Henry. The outfitter was Fred Rowe, who died of a stroke years ago. He was quite a character, always driving us out to our assigned shanty with his door open. His language was colorful but his character was pure.
We caught smelt, yellow perch and I once caught a whitefish, always jigging. We fished for a few years before other activities overtook us.
Francie, Bob and Fred have unfortunately all passed away but my boys, now in their thirties, have organized a trip for this February in Missisquoi Bay in Vermont for yellow perch , maybe whites and pike.
It won't be the same but it will be something.
Thanks for reminding me about what used to be.
lots of memories there with fred and others. i had a shanty out in the hole and fred would pull it out and take it off for me. if i didnt have my shanty out he would always give me a key to one of his for some night smelt fishing.it was like a city out there in port henry  then the smelt dissapeared and good ice also. it doesnt ice over every year like it used to. thanks for bringing back some great memories on smelt fishing in port henry.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 04, 2017, 03:12 PM »
We used to use a pod auger and my only gripe about them is how hard the blades are to sharpen well. That curve is a major bear, and they need to be done exactly or you'll feel it in your arms all the way.

Randy

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 04, 2017, 03:29 PM »
One time we were on the ice and got buzzed by a fighter jet from the Air Force base and saw him fly under the bridge, was in the paper the next day.

I've seen planes fly under the bridge on two occasions while ice fishing, got a picture of one of them.

I miss jigging smelt at the bridge.

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:08 PM »
We had a camp on stone point Thats between Benson landing and singing cedars The camp was only a feet away from the water. We bought it in the early 70's and sold it a few years back. The walleye fishing was incredible in the 70's so i got to see the fishery change over 40 years on the southern
End of the lake. The big old Tugboats pushing the Barges up and down the Lake. How the clay water would churn and it would pull the water out of the swamps. When we duck hunted our decoys would go out with the current then come back in after the Tug went past. For the rest of my post i will stay on the Walleye. I see in other post it's been mention about the Ice shanties and tip ups or some times called Champlain Jacks. They were hundreds of them including ours. Looking back i see what was one of the Walleyes DEMISE. For an example  i will use my uncle and his friends for what was a common practice in the 70's. My uncle and friends worked road construction and had all winter off so they ice fished all winter their big shanty was in whites cove not far from singing cedars. In the shanty was a 55 Gallon Drum of antifreeze i'm not sure if it was ethanol or not but you could buy it by the gallon at bait shops it was blue and it keep your hole from freezing. They like many others had as many as 60 tip ups out. They would bring back home walleyes in big army duffel bags full. i can't remember what the limit was back then maybe someone of you will remember? Anyway many of the fish were 5 to 10 Lbs  Big old Females full of Eggs. This was all legal not ethical but legal.
I think about this a lot if i only new maybe i could have dune something. THANKS FOR READING AND GIVE ME FEED BACK ON YOUR THOUGHTS.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:36 PM »
We had a camp on stone point Thats between Benson landing and singing cedars The camp was only a feet away from the water. We bought it in the early 70's and sold it a few years back. The walleye fishing was incredible in the 70's so i got to see the fishery change over 40 years on the southern
End of the lake. The big old Tugboats pushing the Barges up and down the Lake. How the clay water would churn and it would pull the water out of the swamps. When we duck hunted our decoys would go out with the current then come back in after the Tug went past. For the rest of my post i will stay on the Walleye. I see in other post it's been mention about the Ice shanties and tip ups or some times called Champlain Jacks. They were hundreds of them including ours. Looking back i see what was one of the Walleyes DEMISE. For an example  i will use my uncle and his friends for what was a common practice in the 70's. My uncle and friends worked road construction and had all winter off so they ice fished all winter their big shanty was in whites cove not far from singing cedars. In the shanty was a 55 Gallon Drum of antifreeze i'm not sure if it was ethanol or not but you could buy it by the gallon at bait shops it was blue and it keep your hole from freezing. They like many others had as many as 60 tip ups out. They would bring back home walleyes in big army duffel bags full. i can't remember what the limit was back then maybe someone of you will remember? Anyway many of the fish were 5 to 10 Lbs  Big old Females full of Eggs. This was all legal not ethical but legal.
i believe the limit was 10 per day. liked your comments on the barges and your decoys.
I think about this a lot if i only new maybe i could have dune something. THANKS FOR READING AND GIVE ME FEED BACK ON YOUR THOUGHTS.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:43 PM »
I've seen planes fly under the bridge on two occasions while ice fishing, got a picture of one of them.

I miss jigging smelt at the bridge.
they still fly under the bridge saw 2 last year and 1 did a sumersault when it was going up. was a great show but blew our hats off. ha ha . no ice again this year get the boat out.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2017, 05:18 PM »
I remember the days when a flasher was a flat, shiny metal sinker and the most common fish finder was looking out on the ice and seeing the shanty-cities or the mass-gatherings of guys on buckets and just heading over that way.

Neither needed batteries or GS satellites to function and were usually pretty effective.  :tipup:

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.