Author Topic: Fly Reel: Revisited  (Read 23976 times)

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fly Reel: Revisited
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:06 PM »
He's talking about this one ... I think:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Bear-Cub-Raised-Pillar-Classic-Fly-Reel-New-/150554906428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230dc58f3c
Thanks! I think I would prefer one with a larger arbor that I could get by with either no or little backing.
KeepfishN4fun

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Another pic of the big 6 pound pig caught on 3# test with the Okuma SLV ...
Didn't weigh her, but she measured over 22" ... wonder how much she'll weigh before dropping her eggs this spring!  Didn't even cross my mind to enter it in the tournament ... darn! Oh well, maybe next time.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:26 PM »
I just got back from bluegill fishing and  I just Love the fly reel.  No line twist at all so no loops or tangles.  Super smooth drag when fighting bull gills.  More sensitive and better for tight lining.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:30 PM »
I just got back from bluegill fishing and  I just Love the fly reel.  No line twist at all so no loops or tangles.  Super smooth drag when fighting bull gills.  More sensitive and better for tight lining.

To be quite honest I bought the reel to try it, figuring it would be too many sacrafices from what I'm used to, that I'd then use the reel for trout fishing instead and put it on a fly rod since I've always wanted one anyways. Turns out there aren't any sacrafices, just major improvements and advantages (along with unexpected extra sensitivity) from a spinning reel fishing the way I do ... small jigs in shallow water mostly for bluegills. Now I'm looking for some deals on a few more reels! Darn! I just bought a bunch of new spinning reels too, that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:37 PM »
To be quite honest I bought the reel to try it, figuring it would be too many sacrafices from what I'm used to, that I'd then use the reel for trout fishing instead and put it on a fly rod since I've always wanted one anyways. Turns out there aren't any sacrafices, just major improvements and advantages (along with unexpected extra sensitivity) from a spinning reel fishing the way I do ... small jigs in shallow water mostly for bluegills. Now I'm looking for some deals on a few more reels! Darn! I just bought a bunch of new spinning reels too, that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Watch E-bay. I just picked up another Okuma SLV 4/5 for $50 to my door. $20 cheaper then Thorne Bros and I have a bad SLV 4/5 spool with backign and line that will be switched over to this pole.

Craig

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:10 PM »
Martin Caddis Creek fly reel sells for $15 or so.  The clicker you can turn off and on so it doesnt get so annoying.  Im going to outfit all my gill rods with these next year.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I also am a covert set up two and went fishing this weekend, as already said
great feel and good hook up.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Watch E-bay. I just picked up another Okuma SLV 4/5 for $50 to my door. $20 cheaper then Thorne Bros and I have a bad SLV 4/5 spool with backign and line that will be switched over to this pole.

Craig

That's were I got the one in the pic ... brand new in box right at my door the following day!
$44.95 plus $7.35 shipping (Priority Mail)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=380309450154&si=4ol5ixoET74px9w8yCzLbxVNLtg%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:39 AM »
What about the SLV 2/3?
KeepfishN4fun

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Fly reels for me all the way also!@@@!!!!#### You don't have to spend big bucks on a fly reel.I just bought some cheap-o's at Cabala's (17.00) only use three rods.Take the brake systems out so you don't have that clicking noise,every one turns to see what the heck is that noise,HA HA I agree with everyones statements above on line twist and palming the reel.I reel left handed and palm the reel in my right and using my right thumb as the drag if needed.The last two years of doing it this way I have had no brake off and landed almost all my bass that bite. Have fun. 

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Started a post like this a few weeks back with little response but its good to see some of the closet fly reel users come out.  I tried them this winter, I do some tournaments and in my area of Michigan a lot of the tournament anglers use Schooley reels (small cheep plastic center pin reels) on there ice poles for many of the same benefits a fly reel is used for.   I used these as well and when I seen some pics on the Thorn Bros. website/ads, I soon new I needed to try the fly reel for my outside fishing and to replace my cheep plastic Schooley reels.  Well I still have Schooley reel set ups in my arsenal and they still have a purpose, but I have become very fond of the fly reel.  A blast to use and very practical as well.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Started a post like this a few weeks back with little response but its good to see some of the closet fly reel users come out.  I tried them this winter, I do some tournaments and in my area of Michigan a lot of the tournament anglers use Schooley reels (small cheep plastic center pin reels) on there ice poles for many of the same benefits a fly reel is used for.   I used these as well and when I seen some pics on the Thorn Bros. website/ads, I soon new I needed to try the fly reel for my outside fishing and to replace my cheep plastic Schooley reels.  Well I still have Schooley reel set ups in my arsenal and they still have a purpose, but I have become very fond of the fly reel.  A blast to use and very practical as well.

I thought about the schooley reel route too, but I new I wouldn't be as happy since I do enjoy using a good solid drag system (like the Shimano reels have) and the fly reels definitely have that.  I just couldn't see putting a $6 plastic reel on a $80 custom rod ... ya know?  Love the fly reel though. They are indeed a BLAST top fish with. I was indeed skeptical that I would like it and "convert" as many of you have ... but almost immediately I was totally hooked. Now I'm looking for another!

JJMoser, aren't you another Sonic Ice Hopper user's as well? Me too ... another awesome addition to the arsenal this year. What size reel do you use with what pound test?  Glad to hear from others who like the fly reels too.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:23 PM »
What about the SLV 2/3?

I have a 2/3 on a Thorne finesse rod, I like it on the short 19 incher. Im running a 4/5 on a 32 inch quiverstick and a 28 inch panfish. I prefer the 4/5 on the longer rods.

I have been running fly reels for a few years now and really enjoy them. Have tried a few diff reels but really like the SLV's. They are light and have an awesome drag. Sure the drag isn't "needed" but it sure is nice...

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:08 AM »
What about the SLV 2/3?

After much debate ... I think the 2/3 SLV would be better suited with my 26" Quiverstick rod than the 4/5 SLV I have on it now. I may get a 2/3 SLV for it instead and put the 4/5 on my 28" Perch Sweet Heart rod. I also think it would just have better balance, it's hard to tell without holding one in my hand, but that seems to be the concensus. Sometimes I use the Perch rod to which big slob gills out of thicker weeds, it's just perfect for that ... I can't see leaving my spinning reel on that rod at this point. That's also were that sweet Okuma drag comes into effect for sure. ;D

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:11 AM »
  Hey muleskinner, is that fly line you are using? IMO, you would be better off withsome more backing and mono, (looks like you have none by the looks of the holes in reel) With more backing you would increase the size of your real spool and decrease coils. again imo. but if you are getting them, who need me?lol

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Sully, After going and trying my new 28" Power Noodle with the SLV2/3 I think the SLV 2/3 size fits rods 26" and shorter better; the 4/5 seems a much better fit for the 28" and larger. I will be putting my 4/5 on the 28" noodle gives a better balance and feel.

Craig

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Yea I use the ice hopper it has really landed me more fish this year I hardly get in my clam scout anymore.  Move Move Move.  Right now I got 2 cheep HT shanty stix with an old ryobi reel and a cabaleas prestige reel.  I do have 3 thorn bro rods but have yet to take off the ticas and pfuger spin reels.  I use dacron backing or the exisitng fly line then spool about 75 yards of suffix ice braid on it then I use a wide range of leaders from 1 to 4lb. 

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:22 AM »
Yes it's settled then ... I'll buy a 2/3 SLV for my quiverstick, and put the 4/5 I have now on my sweet heart perch rod. See how much damage I can do with those two rods alone! Too much fun man, it makes me smile just thinking about it ;D.

Offline rudder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:38 AM »
How much line (mono) do you put on the backing? What line do you guys use? I'm looking at setting my jigging rod up with a fly reel.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:18 AM »
As much line as it needs to look good... ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:50 PM »
My SLV 4/5 have 120 yds of Dacron backign and my 2/3 around a 100 yds of backing with 50yds of your prefered ice line on top of that.

Craig

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:52 PM »
I used left over spools of dacron from tip ups as backing on my fly reels. After that is six lb braid two hundred foot or so and finish it off with suffix three lb ice. I also have went with the sonic ice hopper and left the shack in the truck as mentioned before move move and move ,more fish on the ice big time.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #53 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:46 PM »
How much line (mono) do you put on the backing? What line do you guys use? I'm looking at setting my jigging rod up with a fly reel.

Used Dacron also, left over from tipups. Filled almost all the way, then a top shot of 20# fileline for 50 yrds and then 100 yds 3# Sufix Ice Magic.

Offline crispycritter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:15 AM »
I noticed in the pics the location of the reels I have mine as far back as possible on the handle so I can put a finger on the rod to feel vibration. that's were it felt most comfortable also. 
life is not a journey to the grave with the expectation of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;but rather to (skid in) broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW what a ride

Offline rudder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Very informative post. I'm looking at getting a ice hopper system and wanted to know what the best length rod would be for this set up (if it even matters).

What TB rod is best for jigging with blade baits for walleye?

Sorry for getting off topic but I would like some new rods for the fly reels ;D

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:25 AM »
I noticed in the pics the location of the reels I have mine as far back as possible on the handle so I can put a finger on the rod to feel vibration. that's were it felt most comfortable also. 

Interesting point ... I also noticed that everyone seems different when it comes to mounting the reel.  I thought long and hard about where to place it before mounting it, and decided I would mount it in the same basic position as my spinning reel. I would mount it all the way back too if it where on a fly rod, since you normally hold the rod cork in front of the reel. With an ice rod, there isn't as much rod to balance out the reel when mounted on the back.  Here's how I hold my rod/reels:

You can see, if I mounted it any further back I would not be able to place the tips of my fingers on the rod blank, and the whole setup would lose it's "balanced" feel.  The other issue is I wouldn't be able to use any of my rod holders either. I see many with the reel mounted just like a fly rod, but that just wouldn't work for me ... to each his own I guess.

PS - yes, that's paint on my hands for those with sharp eyes. Very hard to catch anything while painting, but it's hard to buy new gear without it either! ;D

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Very informative post. I'm looking at getting a ice hopper system and wanted to know what the best length rod would be for this set up (if it even matters).

What TB rod is best for jigging with blade baits for walleye?

Sorry for getting off topic but I would like some new rods for the fly reels ;D

I recommend getting the large XL frame Ice Hopper ... the small frame will give you a neck cramp.  The rod sizes aren't so crucial with the S.I.H.

As far as the eyes go, I absolutely LOVE my T.B. sweet heart perch rod, many others use that rod for eyes as well.  I have used blade baits on it, but anything over 1/4 oz and I prefer a rod with a stiffer tip. Great all around rod for walleye, perch (obviously), panfish, and bass.  The smaller Northland Minnow Traps work great on this rod, as well as the 1/4 oz Binsky blades, but the bigger heavy Heddon Sonar blades or Cicadas are a little heavy for this rod. Spoons are also great on this rod. I have heard that many of the guys at Thorne Bros. use the sweet heart perch rod for walleye too, I wouldn't doubt it.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Ice Hopper is worth the investment to inhance your proir investment (sonar).

I am wondering if this will catch on, more people putting fly reels on your ice rods, beacuse if so there could be some sweet new centerpin reels on the market soon.  It is truley a great way to catch fish.....I can not seem to put the combo's down.  Definatley going to look into putting a nice package together soon but right now my frankincombo is doing the trick. 

Any one off hand know if they can customize an ice rod just the way you like it if you call Thorn Bro.'s.  I really like larger Eye's on my outside sticks and all my good rods got small ones.

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 03, 2011, 04:41 PM »
What is an Ice hopper System?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.