The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: gut shot(cant wait to c whats inside)  (Read 4489 times)

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trying to teach my friend matt 300 how its done!
Re: gut shot(cant wait to c whats inside)
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Probably a couple of ducklings, a few burgers, some ring dings and a snickers bar;D

That will be a beautiful mount...congrats again!

yea, king size snickers.....with the wrapper still on, as an appetizer before the pike had its daily meal of nails.
Matt300 and Repete as young-bucks teaching the bucks how to fish!!! this is where we separate the men from the ladies!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:27 PM »
So what was inside?

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:14 AM »
The Pike in Quabog come already seasoned!
, , ,

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:48 AM »
So what was inside?
X2 I want to know!!

Offline JDiPerrio

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:00 AM »
The Pike in Quabog come already seasoned!

You mean Browning pond

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:36 AM »
hey nice catch
we alway cook some fresh caught pike when in canada. we do a shore dinner lunch around noon. get a campfire going and bring a hamburger basket to cook the fish over the fire. spread a little mayo on each side and season with mrs dash lemon flavored seasoning. mmmm mmmm good. cleaning is a little tricky with the y bone so we pick the bigger fish because they are easier to clean.

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:02 AM »
Nice Fish Looks like around a 44" fish to me and low to mid 20s. :tipup: You must of put her on a scale? Tape? :tipup:
I need to give this Browning Bog a try. :tipup: :roflmao: :tipup:

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Nice pike! If you find a gold cross in its belly, then it must have eaten a "HOLLY MACKEREL"
I pratice fillet and release!

Offline warwin125

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Possible GOLD PIN ;D
SHUT UP AND FISH!

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Nice pike! If you find a gold cross in its belly, then it must have eaten a "HOLLY MACKEREL"
badump badump. is this thing on? "cricket sounds"
that's a good one capt

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I’m not looking to hijack your great catch + post but wanted to pass along my take on gut shot NP. Over my years of pike fishing between myself and my crew we have C+R over 25 Pike over 20lbs and more than 75% I would said are hooked deep but with the right tools, (Big Spreads, Long nose pliers) + 2 guys working like a doctor most if not all Pike can be released blood free and unharmed + un-hooked. I’m not against putting a skin mounts on the wall as long as it’s over 20 but the thing that kills me is seeing big fish released in bad shape that die also guys that keep teen fish should me put in jail.  :%$#!: Sorry I had to vent.
BTW Your HOG will make a great mount. :tipup:   

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:38 PM »
I’m not looking to hijack your great catch + post but wanted to pass along my take on gut shot NP. Over my years of pike fishing between myself and my crew we have C+R over 25 Pike over 20lbs and more than 75% I would said are hooked deep but with the right tools, (Big Spreads, Long nose pliers) + 2 guys working like a doctor most if not all Pike can be released blood free and unharmed + un-hooked. I’m not against putting a skin mounts on the wall as long as it’s over 20 but the thing that kills me is seeing big fish released in bad shape that die also guys that keep teen fish should me put in jail.  :%$#!: Sorry I had to vent.
BTW Your HOG will make a great mount. :tipup:   

i agree, i tried talking a guy out of keeping a 12lb pike a few years ago who was fishing next to me, he was dead set on mounting it because it was a "trophy". some people fish just dont get it and fish for bragging rights.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:50 PM »
If it is legal, and you want to keep it..do it. That guys 12lb may be a trophy to him.
We have somewhere along the way forgotten that each individual has the choice and the right to choose what they do with their legal catch. Even if the guy just wanted to eat it, not our choice. It's his fish, he caught it. To be honest, man learned to fish for food. I like to eat. So why is it wrong to keep a fish. Hard to eat them while they swim around. Also, we have bag limits on most all game fish. Reason is two fold. One to avoid over fishing and two to help avoid over population.
So why not do your part as a conservation tool and keep a few.
Great fish!! will be a pretty mount!

Offline treemanjb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:49 PM »
Put in jail?Keep me out outta your court. I think the breeders should be released also but it is a fish. Jail is tough. Maybe we should end sport fishing??  J.B.

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:46 AM »
If it is legal, and you want to keep it..do it. That guys 12lb may be a trophy to him.
We have somewhere along the way forgotten that each individual has the choice and the right to choose what they do with their legal catch. Even if the guy just wanted to eat it, not our choice. It's his fish, he caught it. To be honest, man learned to fish for food. I like to eat. So why is it wrong to keep a fish. Hard to eat them while they swim around. Also, we have bag limits on most all game fish. Reason is two fold. One to avoid over fishing and two to help avoid over population.
So why not do your part as a conservation tool and keep a few.
Great fish!! will be a pretty mount!

oletimer you have a valid point and every fisherman is entitled to keep what they want as long as it’s with in the set limit in the state your fishing but states like Mass + RI where stocking program have stopped are the most fragile fisheries. I would eat the pan fish from Mass + RI before I ate a pike but that’s me. I fish 75% of the time in CT where stocking programs are well managed with some lakes getting as many as 5000+ fingerlings stocked yearly along with lakes that are set-up with slot limits that make you release all fish under 36”. Mass + RI could learn from CT but in this economy with all the State cuts is where the fishermen get screwed. I hope 10 years down the road there’s pike left in your Mass + RI waters for your kids to catch. :tipup:
BTW treemanjb I was only joking about Jail.   

Offline BJ_Toscano

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:49 PM »
Question for you Dsouth...

If a big pike is gut-hooked (like they often are), is there ever a time where you just cut the line and leave the hook in the fish?

Or do you always make an attempt to remove it? Even if its in the gut lining?

Offline fishguttts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:38 PM »
i fish wit dsouth sum times and we always try to get tha hook out no matter wat :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Frostheave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Looks like it ate a  5th Grader!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:14 AM »
Question for you Dsouth...

If a big pike is gut-hooked (like they often are), is there ever a time where you just cut the line and leave the hook in the fish?

Or do you always make an attempt to remove it? Even if its in the gut lining?

The hook would rot in short time. It would be better to cut the line wouldn't it?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.