Author Topic: Vexilar FL-22 HD vs the Marcum LX-5  (Read 19339 times)

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar FL-22 HD vs the Marcum LX-5
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:19 PM »
Question for the people on this thread- Which one would you chose an lx5 or or an FL20, FL22??

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Question for the people on this thread- Which one would you chose an lx5 or or an FL20, FL22??

The only problem I have with that is that I've already got the LX5.  I like the performance, but don't like how much battery juice it consumes.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:07 PM »

Like in most things in life " it all depends". First thing I would do is choose either the LX-5 or FL-22 HD. The FL-20 falls behind the FL-22 unless you need to fish in water over 60 ft and need a "Vexilar". Cost is a big factor and up here in Canada the LX-5 is $550 and the FL-22 is priced the same, no stores have sales here in Canada that Ive found. Down in the States the Marcum LX-5's can go on sale for amazing prices, at times well over $100 cheaper then the FL-22HD.
If I were on somewhat of a budget and wanted a high end flasher I would buy the LX-5 in a heart beat. If price is equal, like up here in Canada I would buy the FL-22 HD.
Or you can always wait till next season buy a LX-6  ;) Im sure Marcum will be realeasing something new and think it will hammer the competion.

Cheers!!

Cheers!!

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Or you can always wait till next season buy a LX-6  ;) Im sure Marcum will be realeasing something new and think it will hammer the competion.

Cheers!!

Cheers!!

Thank you for the info.  Ill say my prayers for an LX 6

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:02 PM »
The versatility of the LX-5 is still going to make it the better choice for guys who fish a wide range of conditions. In one ice season, i may be fishing 80' deep on one lake, fishing for suspended crappie in 50 fow on another, fishing for panfish in a 4' deep lake, then structure fishing against a steep rock slope on yet another. Having said that, I've seen them in operation and the new Vex is nice, it just needs an adjustable zoom and the depth restriction is not going to work at all for some lakes I fish.

Offline walgill1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Ihad the chance to try my FL22 yesterday in shallowwater using small ice jigs for gills and i could only see my jig as a big red mark, i couldnt get it to be the thin green line. Am i doing something wrong? I had the gain set very low and I and tried the 8-12-19 transducer with not much luck. Any ideas! Thanks Walgill   

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Ihad the chance to try my FL22 yesterday in shallowwater using small ice jigs for gills and i could only see my jig as a big red mark, i couldnt get it to be the thin green line. Am i doing something wrong? I had the gain set very low and I and tried the 8-12-19 transducer with not much luck. Any ideas! Thanks Walgill   

What power mode and how deep were you fishing?

Offline walgill1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:54 PM »
9ft using the low power mode!

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:59 PM »
9ft using the low power mode!

Hmm not sure what to tell ya, I know on mine with a 4 or 5 mm fiska I run a touch of gain to get it green in low power mode. In normal power mode I get a red mark for the jig in shallow water with no gain. I typically run the 8 degree cone. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Craig

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Try different types of jigs along with size too.  Some have better sonar reflections than others.  Maybe if you get a 1/64 or 1/80 oz jig, it should show up small.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Interesting to see the 22 wasnt as good in the shallows since thats what they are marketed for.  Fair and unbias report Dark....

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:17 PM »
Try different types of jigs along with size too.  Some have better sonar reflections than others.
True, for those who havn't used or tried these they are very effective with a flasher and give off a nice crisp signal. I use them and think their great ...... although a bit pricey.

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=557
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Quinteman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:44 PM »
I use the Vex 22HD and my buddy has the Marcum LX5...both great units..can't go wrong with either in my opinion.  You have to assess your needs and match the unit to them.

Offline walgill1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2011, 05:16 PM »
The main reason why i bought the FL22 was because i mainly fish shallow water and i assumed the low power mode would do the trick. It should do what they claim it can do! I could have spent $550.00 on a cheaper unit and get just as good results. Walgill

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2011, 05:54 PM »
 I like it when guys around me use the float to support thier transducers .  Means more fish for me .

Ever seen your water move around in your hole ?  Wind , traffic on the lake , expanding and cracking ice all make the water in your hole jump .  This translates to a float , causing the leading edge of the bottom to fluctuate .  By hanging my transducer from an arm attached firmly to a pak sitting on the ice I eliminate that .  Allowing me to see a bottom hugging eye slipping in under my jig .  The only bottom fluctuations I see are fish , not a moving float .......

I've got a Marcum now without a float, had a Vex with a float before but don't understand this logic.  If you do not use a float, the anchor point has to be the machine itself.  So if the ice moves from wind, traffic, expansions, etc. how is that not going to move the anchor point (i.e. the machine).  I would think that a floated transducer would even be better in a situation like this.  Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong though.  
Chris Raymond

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Well just git back from the lake today and this was the second time my battery failed in 2 outings. Ihad about 4 hours and battery was dead >:( First time I though I forgot to charge, last night I charged it all night in hopes of a good battery today...fail. I don't know if its the charger, battery or maybe the unit using way to much power???? I gotta call Vex tommorrow....this sucks. Good thing I have a second flasher...that works  :-\

Offline walgill1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:24 PM »
What did the battery indicator say on the unit? Mine has been on 98 percent since ive had it 3 days, i have only used it for about 4 hours!

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:47 PM »
What did the battery indicator say on the unit? Mine has been on 98 percent since ive had it 3 days, i have only used it for about 4 hours!

The battery was dead when I got home, read zero. I put it on the charger for 5 mins and it said it was 100%, thats after unplugging the charger. Somethings not working right, I suspect its the charger and willing be getting Vexilar hopfully warranty it.

Cheers!!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:55 PM »
I've got a Marcum now without a float, had a Vex with a float before but don't understand this logic.  If you do not use a float, the anchor point has to be the machine itself.  So if the ice moves from wind, traffic, expansions, etc. how is that not going to move the anchor point (i.e. the machine).  I would think that a floated transducer would even be better in a situation like this.  Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong though.  

The water moving in the hole, moves the float. When the ice  moves its not as abrupt as the changes caused by water surging in the hole.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:46 AM »
I sent off an email with my problems with the battery on my Fl-22 last night. I was surprised to see that as of 8:00 am Vex support already emailed me back. They figure it was a bad battery, some of the Fl-22's during assembly had both terminals connected and the the indicator light wore the battery out while in the shelf. They're mailing me a new battery this a.m. Thumbs up for Vexilars customer service!!!!!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Was it charged when you got it?? Funny it took so long for the problem to show up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.