The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Waxies, Spikes, or Mousees?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waxies, Spikes, or Mousees?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Thanks for the info on the waxies swillerjig.  I did not know that.  Have done it all my like.  I will leave them out from now on.  Okay to put mousies and spikes in the fridge though?

A long long time ago on ice far far away...I always had a skoal can with waxies in my pocket. They lasted forever.

Wish I could fish that much again....
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline MarkBfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:12 AM »
I use spikes but would love to have some mousee's. Can't get them anywhere this year.
Paul
go to www.knutsonslivebait.c om  last time I called mousies were $50 per 1000 + shipping so I went w/spikes and work great so far.

Good luck!

Offline anyminuteman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:40 AM »
mousies and spikes, I bought both this year and mousies are outfishing the spikes big time...
[

I usually use spikes exclusively for their size and toughness, but at first ice, all I could get was waxies and mousies. I haven't used mousies in years, so I wanted to give them a fair shake, but I kept coming back to the waxies. Thank God I have spikes now!
I have found,through sight fishing, that waxies have their place though. At times, gills will suck only the maggot in and not your hook. Waxies can be threaded on the hook; giving you a better shot at a hook set.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I always start off with plastics first.  Nuggies and Wedgees are my mainstay.  Then to Spikes (Red & White).  Gills, Perch, and Crappies all fall victims to this.  I rarely have days that I need Waxies.  Crappie minnows 3 dozen for $4 can last me a whole week of fishing.  Tail hook with a bobber.  Support your local bait shops!

I've been allround the bait. mousees are out, my big cumbersome fingers just crush them. waxies, well a good fresh one on a good sharp hook or they just get the guts squeezed out. I like the spikes, good and hardy easy to keep. Live minnows used to be my fav, but the berkly gulp alive (black shad) has done as well or better than the live mins. and are easier to keep carry and use. I have a few of the other plastics but haven,t givin them a fair tryoutt yet.
:icefish:

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:46 PM »
I asked this question last year....how do you keep red spikes longer....the whites will last forever...is it the dye in them?

Offline pzoch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:29 PM »
I use all the above mentioned,but I always seem to do
best when using Mousies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.