Author Topic: Flashers: An ongoing debate  (Read 5320 times)

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flashers: An ongoing debate
« Reply #60 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:18 PM »
what is a SFL?  ???
The fishing is always better on the other side of the lake

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:34 PM »
SFL is single fine line i believe in reference  to marcums lx5.Their target separation is second to none.On a side note I've had my Ice 55  for over 2 years and fished in sub zero temps many times and the buttons and lcd display work flawlessly.Again,good luck with which ever one you choose!

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:00 PM »
its a hard decision that's for sure

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #63 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:09 PM »
SFL (super fine line) is advantageous in zoom mode but can be activated in full display mode as well.  A lot of time zoom is merely just blowing up a section of the zoomed window.  The sonar targets are still the same.  The SFL feature is like pin pointing those sonar targets.  It helps to identify two separate targets instead of the single combined target.  So if there are like three or four perch trying to peck at your lure, you will have better display to distinguish each one of them.  The other benefit is having a better feedback and manipulation of your lure.  You will see your lure more distinguished as a fish draws in close to it.  You will know if your lure is slightly above fish or slightly below fish.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Why do you have to turn it on?  Seems like it would just be always on?  And with all that power, it only goes to 160'???  Wassup with that?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #65 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Fine line...can you see it?  No, then don't use it.  It's that simple.  Besides, reading bottom content would have a familiar resemblence between all the units.  With SFL on, you're going to be odd one out.

The 160 feet could've been more thought of.  The answer is pretty obvious...most people don't fish much deeper than 60 feet anyway.  Probably same reason why FL22 only gets 60 feet.  A few people will desire more depth.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 20, 2010, 03:32 PM »
Fishing with a flasher is a lot like the first time you made it to second base. It was awesome for a while but eventually you want something more.

Spinning wheel flashers = making it to second base

Color LCD sonars = making it to home plate

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 20, 2010, 04:31 PM »
is SFL a marcum thing? zoom can be confusing to understand!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 20, 2010, 04:33 PM »
SFL is an LX-5 only thing. If my wife can figure it out you can to, it's simple.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 20, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Fishing with a flasher is a lot like the first time you made it to second base. It was awesome for a while but eventually you want something more.

In my open water walleye jigging days a flasher was on my bow, what LCD are you talking about?? Not sure I would make my HDS units portable.

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 20, 2010, 04:49 PM »
SFL is an LX-5 only thing. If my wife can figure it out you can to, it's simple.
so its like zoom only super detailed?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:09 PM »
so its like zoom only super detailed?

Yes. Best I can explain it take a marker and draw a line on a piece of paper, that represents a Vex line, now take a pen or pencil and make a line, thats the SFL of the LX-5

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:33 PM »

I watched your vids and im impressed. That thing can do alot. I liked the history. I just have a few questions. How portable is it? How much does it cost? Can u put lake chips in it? does it have gps?

Offline crappieking27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:40 PM »
hands down showdown is awsome had it 4 3 years never going back to the vex.no noise easy to read faster response.auto bottom lock and updates every year.so u can keep ahead of the game.

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:47 PM »
yeah but cost is a real issue

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Learned something new tonight, always though HB was a dual beam ducer, I was wrong it's a dual frequency. Vex and Marcum are the only units with a true dual beam transducer...

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:45 PM »
whats the dif?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Means Vex and Marcum use 2 crystals in their ducers to creat different beam waves while hummingbird uses 1 but on different frequencys, leading to wider lines and more erratic movement. Basicly not as good as the other 2

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:24 PM »
right more cheap way. Do they still call it dual beam though?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:29 PM »
No they dont mislead you I just never noticed it untill it was brought up on another forum. They do advertise as a dual frequency, but many, myself included missed it or looked over it. Similar to the Vex marketing of Target ID that is different than Target Seperation.

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:38 PM »
right i noticed that too, what is target ID?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #81 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Learned something new tonight, always though HB was a dual beam ducer, I was wrong it's a dual frequency. Vex and Marcum are the only units with a true dual beam transducer...
If I'm not reading this wrong, Humminbird ice machines have dual frequency and dual beam. It looks to me like they have 9 and 19 degree cone angles. Each frequency has it's own cone angle. 240 KHz 19 degrees and 455 KHz 9 degrees.

Rebate available:� Download Rebate Form (PDF)
Sonar
Selectable Dual Frequency
240 kHz / 19� @ -3dB
455 kHz / 9� @ -3dB
Depth: 200 ft.
Power Output
300 Watts (RMS)
2400 Watts (PtP)
Warranty
Two Years

All products advertised and sold in the United States operate in English Language, Feet/Fathoms, Fahrenheit and/or US Maps. Local languages, Metric product and/or local maps are only available through your local authorized distributor. See our Find a Dealer section for the distributor nearest you

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:23 AM »
You're right,they are dual beam and dual frequency.One crystal is used for both beams which works fine as long as you don't try to use the wide beam in deep water.Once I get to 30 fow I'd rather be in narrow beam anyways so it's not a big deal to me.I use a 4 inch auger as I mainly fish perch so I'm glad the ducer isn't huge as the holes tend to shrink up as the day goes by.

Offline Icestealth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:34 PM »
I'm not an ice fishing expert. For years I really went out to have few beers and hang out. My son took a real interest last year in fishing. Like every father I wanted to spend time with him and keep the "bite on". I bought the Marcum LX3-tc. After watching friends flashers for the last few years, I knew they helped increase your catch. The main reason I went with Marcum is the zoom. Over the last 2 weekends I really think zoom made the difference, fishing vs. catching. My son and I have caught 2 to 1 crappie and bluegill vs. my buddies less than 10 feet away.

Whatever you decide will produce more fish. I truly think zoom made the difference for us. Maybe it was luck. I will find out, as the season wears on...

Good Luck!!!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #84 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:12 AM »
So I currently have the LX5... obviously works fine, not real complaints. But I was out with the father in law yesterday checking out flashers since he is in the market to upgrade from his fl18 and came acrossed the Humminbird. He was initially looking to go the the FL20, but after we both started checking out the ICE 55 it seems like a beast. The colors pop real nice which is a plus for me since I'm semi-color blind. So the color pallette thing obviously had me hooked some. Plus looking on line they have a rebate on them as well. So then I started thinking... and wondering about the 55. Did some research and couldn't find a whole lot in regards to true comparisons to the lx5.

Anyone really have any recommendations of some true cons of the 55 compared lx5? (opinions are welcome as long as it's not "I have an lx5 so keep that or vice-versa.")

Offline panfishpappa101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:06 AM »
I'm not an ice fishing expert. For years I really went out to have few beers and hang out. My son took a real interest last year in fishing. Like every father I wanted to spend time with him and keep the "bite on". I bought the Marcum LX3-tc. After watching friends flashers for the last few years, I knew they helped increase your catch. The main reason I went with Marcum is the zoom. Over the last 2 weekends I really think zoom made the difference, fishing vs. catching. My son and I have caught 2 to 1 crappie and bluegill vs. my buddies less than 10 feet away.

Whatever you decide will produce more fish. I truly think zoom made the difference for us. Maybe it was luck. I will find out, as the season wears on...

Good Luck!!!
Ya kno i really don't think zoom makes a huge difference in the amount of fish u catch. I have a fl12 and caught just as many fish as another guy with a lx-5 about 50 feet away

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:41 PM »
So I currently have the LX5... obviously works fine, not real complaints. But I was out with the father in law yesterday checking out flashers since he is in the market to upgrade from his fl18 and came acrossed the Humminbird. He was initially looking to go the the FL20, but after we both started checking out the ICE 55 it seems like a beast. The colors pop real nice which is a plus for me since I'm semi-color blind. So the color pallette thing obviously had me hooked some. Plus looking on line they have a rebate on them as well. So then I started thinking... and wondering about the 55. Did some research and couldn't find a whole lot in regards to true comparisons to the lx5.

Anyone really have any recommendations of some true cons of the 55 compared lx5? (opinions are welcome as long as it's not "I have an lx5 so keep that or vice-versa.")

Target separation on the LX5 is the best in the business.I have the Ice 55 and I'm very happy with it.I may get a chance to fish with a guy that has the LX5,love to see one run as it looks like a great flasher also.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #87 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Well I ordered one today and may have it for the weekend. If so I'll try a little comparison and due a little review on my opinion/feelings on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.