The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Tiger Muskie  (Read 9247 times)

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Re: Tiger Muskie
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:16 AM »
How big was it?

Hard to say with only seeing the markings on the head and partial body as it turned on the hole, but i'd guess in the 12-15lb range

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Hard to say with only seeing the markings on the head and partial body as it turned on the hole, but i'd guess in the 12-15lb range

Good to know haha.
J. Cotier

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Could you send me a link on that tooth critter you use?
http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/cortland-toothy-critter.htm
sorry it took so long! I got it at BPS in foxboro fly dept. You can tie knots with it.

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:04 PM »
they have a new way to tie the tothy critter, u twist is and melt it fusing it together. i made a few leaders using this method for pike this season...cant wait to try them out.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:13 PM »
http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/cortland-toothy-critter.htm
sorry it took so long! I got it at BPS in foxboro fly dept. You can tie knots with it.

Thanks, and Idk if I'd trust putting a lighter to my line.
J. Cotier

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:15 PM »
they reccomend doing it. it doesnt melt the line just the coating over the metal. i think i actually bought the tiger leader,http://www.tygerleader.com/ check out the knot
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:16 PM »
i lit a candle and used both hands to hold the twist and kept moving back and fourth slowly meting the coating. seems strong.

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:21 PM »
I first I didn't realize the line was metal, though it was a mono.
J. Cotier

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:46 PM »
I first I didn't realize the line was metal, though it was a mono.
Ties like mono/flouro. Very small dia. compared to "steel" leaders.

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Nice NY tiger. :clap:
If I was to target tigers throught the ice NY would be the place. There are lakes in Mass stocked year after year with tigers and you never hear of any being caught ::) for some reason I think they all die off in some lakes. :tipup:
I love NY. :thumbsup:

I do believe that MA has stopped the Tiger program.  I heard that from someone else last year but was a reliable source. They are definitely finicky when it comes to ice fishing.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:49 PM »
I got 30lb TyGer for this year. Cant wait to try it with the 3/0 4/0 Gamakatsu's Octopus's and the new Indian Hill fold flats i got!

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:50 PM »
I got 30lb TyGer for this year. Cant wait to try it with the 3/0 4/0 Gamakatsu's Octopus's and the new Indian Hill fold flats i got!
going with the same set up, only i got indian hill cross traps.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:10 PM »
What size swivels you going to use? i got size 2 or 3 i think. Rather large but i dont feel that it will effect the bite, will it?

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:17 PM »
ill take a few pics when i get back from class, im not sure what size swivels they were i got some nice ones at the tackle shop near me. i think they came out pretty sweet.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:42 PM »
ill take a few pics when i get back from class, im not sure what size swivels they were i got some nice ones at the tackle shop near me. i think they came out pretty sweet.

put a penny by em or quarter or something. wanna compare sizes.

what knot did you use witht he tyger?

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:54 PM »
What size swivels you going to use? i got size 2 or 3 i think. Rather large but i dont feel that it will effect the bite, will it?

Go as small as you can get away with. Spro swivels are great for this. Some of the smallest ones are rated for more weight then then you'll ever find a need for.
J. Cotier

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Go as small as you can get away with. Spro swivels are great for this. Some of the smallest ones are rated for more weight then then you'll ever find a need for.

I never see lb test on the swivels :[

Offline G.Horne

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Ma does still stock them but not that much anymore and only a few lakes. Wattupa is the most heavily stocked. I've fished Wattupa 100's of times in Bass T's and fun fishing and only have ever seen 3 caught. I caught one about 6lbs and a club member got one that was 12lbs in a club T.

This one was caught in an April T on Quinsig about 8 yrs ago on a senko under a dock ::)

:thumbsup:

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:46 PM »
that fish is B-E-A-UTIFUL, as far as the live vs deadbait thing, wasnt that past state tiger caught outa pontusic caught on a dead shiner? i think its the same argument when dealing with pike. either way if your going for tigers do not have high hopes of a "busy day" remember musky are the fish of 1,000 casts, to icefisherman thats 1,000 holes.
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:08 PM »
wow them fish get big :o :o :o
i have been reading mass fish and game and looks like best shot at pike and muski big ones going by the dates stocked
are chauncy and watupa tried chauncy once at the end of the seasonlast year and got a bunch of pickeral
 gonna try watupa this year i hope
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I know a few locals that fish it hard, gonna try to hook up w/ them sometime. If you wanna fish it let me know! I'll meet you there. I'll keep an eye out for ice.
keep me posted on the ice  ;D ;D
and we can see if we can get some big fish in south east mass
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline Bigbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I tell you them fish are very picke or hide well the mass has put lot in with very little return.
Firgure all us that bass fish and pike fish there only hand full of tigers caught. They have to be the most
beautiful freshwater fish and may be the hardest to caught. Then again maybe just can handle the water in mass
 They die before they get chance to get big. The dead bait ?????? , dead bait by far caught maybe, not more fish but most of them are let say bigger. :o :o :o :o  So don t want to let any cats out of the bag but the show river monsters I would have to say all them giant fish eat dead bait. This said I m still fish 50% dead 50% live. I would have to say from what I ve seen in past 20 year. Dead bait out fishes live 3 to 1. (Big Pike that is!!! ) ;D ;D ;D
(NOT ONE OF THESE WHERE CAUGHT ON DEAD BAIT picture) it a shame I loss them glass and that sweat shirt

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:43 PM »
my new cell has a crappy camera but this is how i made my leaders. barrel swivels. tyger leader gammy octo hook
http://

Offline stripersteve79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:13 PM »
nope never even seen one
but was on mass fish and game looking up stocked pike and doing my home work
and found good stocking history at a pond in fallriver
has any one fished it before

I'm from fall river, i'm curious to know what pond you are talking about? I maybe able to help you out.

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:10 AM »
nope never even seen one
but was on mass fish and game looking up stocked pike and doing my home work
and found good stocking history at a pond in fallriver
has any one fished it before
talking s watuppa

I'm from fall river, i'm curious to know what pond you are talking about? I maybe able to help you out.

Offline GOT PIKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO GODS
« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Got a 6 lber outa winnecunnit norton a few years back, on a spinner bait, I'd say it was a fluke,
Work is for people that don't know how to fish.........

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:52 PM »
my new cell has a crappy camera but this is how i made my leaders. barrel swivels. tyger leader gammy octo hook

What kind of knot did you use?

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:04 PM »
its the fusion knot. its on the tyger web page i posted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.