Author Topic: ice flashers  (Read 6266 times)

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice flashers
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:44 AM »
Well Brad, you came here spouting about how "some people get it" and Vexilar is a superior unit. It appears you are now bothered by the facts that's I posted throwing that theory out the window. You seem to be having trouble discussing the actual unit you claim to be superior now. Why? You seem to be more worried about me and electrons Brad. Nobody cares about that  ......... YOU mentioned my "union logo" for some reason and then you ask me what that has to do with anything. My union affiliation is always in my signature line not just there for this particular thread.  Do you not know how these boads function? Feel free to take your intelligence and disprove anything I said about ALL the statements I made about the Vex heads and even the "S" cable you feel I'm ranting about. Why is it "old news"? The FL-12, 18, 20 all have it built in. Why? Sorry if you weren't expecting the Vex head to take a beat down like that. Brad, you claimed it superior, feel free to tell us all now how that is. We that "don't get it" would love to see YOUR comparison. Your expertise on electrons (you started) isn't going to be enough. Take off your white lab coat Brad. If you claim something superior in every way you'd better be able to back it up option by option, detail by detail Brad or fshmanmb. I disproved your superiority theory feel free to disprove mine.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Seemed to be an issue with some that came out under the Nature vision ownership. I myself haven't had and issues but 1 is an original Marcum the 2nd a Versa made.
There was another post this morning that states the same as you. I hope mine is trouble free or it may become a football and get punted across the ice and spend the rest of it's life on a shelf.  :o ;)

"Timing issue, seemed to be a problem with during the Nature Vision ownership. I'm sure a call to Versa will be helpful. If a timing thing no other way to fix but send it in."

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:29 AM »
This is great! New to the forum but not to ice fishing. Sounds like a Ford/Chevy or a Polaris/Arctic Cat discussion to me. Junior58 makes some very valid and points without bashing anyone(at first anyhoo) until being insulted(bad boy Brad). That is what the discussion should be about I think. I just bought a Marcum Showdown Ice Troller. Yeah most of you guys are going to harp about the LCD and so on. It was inexpensive,compact,and like someone else said better than looking down the hole. Each manufacturer has refurbs for sale. And not only one model. Tells you something. They all have problems. Just hope you have a good one. By the way Junior58 I am also a 23 year member of the IBEW so if you need some back up....

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:35 AM »
........at least Vex doesnt make the Showdown

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Junior 58...lots of numbers.. what is the source?

That is old "data". The testing was done by Marcum.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:42 AM »
It was done in the past couple years by Duane Cummings the chief sonar engineer using an EDI sonar tester. Just because it was done in 2006 doesn't make it untrue. The information has never been disputed by Vexilar nor has vex provided their own test measurements (vs.) for the public to see like the previously posted sonar comparisons. Marcums are U.S. made and engineered, not Japanese like Vexilar. Here is another recent article highlighting the same man Duane Cummings. I'd say that's more then enough of a reliable source coming from a sonar engineer. Anything else disbelievers? I think I've proven my point.

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Page.taf?page=Articles/A-Flasher-Friendly-Ice-Game&title=A%20Flasher%20Friendly%20Ice%20Game

SAME GUY: http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20100422ptan20100097891.php Sounds pretty damm reliable if you ask me.

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:30 AM »
It was done in the past couple years by Duane Cummings the chief sonar engineer using an EDI sonar tester. Just because it was done in 2006 doesn't make it untrue. The information has never been disputed by Vexilar nor has vex provided their own test measurements (vs.) for the public to see like the previously posted sonar comparisons. Marcums are U.S. made and engineered, not Japanese like Vexilar. Here is another recent article highlighting the same man Duane Cummings. I'd say that's more then enough of a reliable source coming from a sonar engineer. Anything else disbelievers? I think I've proven my point.

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Page.taf?page=Articles/A-Flasher-Friendly-Ice-Game&title=A%20Flasher%20Friendly%20Ice%20Game

Its because Vexilar doesnt need to.  What do they have to prove?  You ever see Vexilar giving cash card rebates out?  You ever see them on clearance?  Tell you one thing, the way yall Marcum guys act on here.......I would NEVER buy one.  Your arrogance and "i'm smarter than you" attitude says alot.  Usually its the most insecure that have the loudest voice.  Tight lines.   

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Its because Vexilar doesnt need to.  What do they have to prove?  You ever see Vexilar giving cash card rebates out?  You ever see them on clearance?  Tell you one thing, the way yall Marcum guys act on here.......I would NEVER buy one.  Your arrogance and "i'm smarter than you" attitude says alot.
You're right, they don't need to (or won't) because so many believe that Vexilar is the best simply based on name recognition alone .... just like you and a few others on here believe and based on what? It works for them marketing wise. You know how many ice fisherman have never even heard of Marcum or some of the others? All they know is Vexilar. See what would happen if they did publish the same comparisons I made. It would open eyes just like it did on here. You were merely given indisputable examples and the response is "I'm arrogant". I never called anyone names nor did I even say that Marcums are the best flashers made. It's just simple to disprove that Vexilars are superior. If arrogance is educating yourself, not using name recognition, then I'm guilty ......... BTW I saw FL-8's on clearance at Dicks Sporting Goods last season. Anyone else want to show me where my information is simply incorrect or grossely exaggerated. Pissing people off with what they don't want to believe is not my purpose.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:05 PM »

SAME GUY: http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20100422ptan20100097891.php Sounds pretty damm reliable if you ask me.

Yep the same guy who had paychecks that were funded by Marcum bringing in money. That was my point. Keep beating the US made vs Japan horse and drinking your foreign beer. Both units are full of asian components as are the majority of all electronics nowdays. FYI some of the best and most technologically advanced CNC machinery and electronics come out of Japan. But you are entitled to your own ignorance, I mean opinion.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:12 PM »
 :clap: Are you one that needs a "Kleenex" ...... believe what you want.  ::) I guess I should disregard anything Dave Genz says or sells simply because he's paid by Vexilar. He's a paid liar too just like the sonar engineer, right?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Genz is a paid by Vexilar and is salesman for Vexilar among other companies hes sponsored by. He promotes those products. People who are actually smart enough can see that he has a vested interest in making the product look good. One has to consider that before purchasing a product and make the decision for themselves. Thats the way business and advertising works.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Dang it, I'm hoping to get on the ice in the near future and try my LX5. Maybe I'll get it done this weekend if my grandson feels better.  ;)2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Genz is a paid by Vexilar and is salesman for Vexilar among other companies hes sponsored by. He promotes those products. People who are actually smart enough can see that he has a vested interest in making the product look good. One has to consider that before purchasing a product and make the decision for themselves. Thats the way business and advertising works.
And I'll be sure to believe a "salesman" who has a vested money interest over a chief sonar engineer presenting statistical analysys using sophisticated equipment. A man who has engineering patents and has articles written about him. If what I posted earlier was a lie then prove it. That's all I'm asking. All in all ...... buy what you want, it's your money ......believe what you want, it's your money.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:43 PM »
I spend alot of time out on open water and hard water and try all sorts of new products. Ive used older Vexilars like the FL-18's, Marcum LX-3 and my buddies LX-5 and have come to the conclusion that they all work quite well but some are a hair better then others. I'm currently running a Vexilar FL-22 HD and in my opinion its the best flasher out there. The seperation is just as good as the LX-5 with a few more options I appreciate. I love the flat face, no snow build up when fishing outside and easy to keep clean. I like the night mode which makes it easy on the eyes in a dark hut. Tri-beam is a cool option that Im fooling around with and think it will come in handy in shallow weedy areas. Ive posted some pics and videos on the forum that pretty much speak for themselfs as too the success Ive had with the unit. Im going to film alot more detailed video of the FL-22 HD and post it on youtube in the future.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:29 PM »
i say if you plan on a vex if you are fishing in 20 ft or less go with the fl 12 they are a lot cheaper you are prity much just losing the zoom. that is the only diffrence between the fl 12 and the fl 18 and fl 20.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:35 PM »
i say if you plan on a vex if you are fishing in 20 ft or less go with the fl 12 they are a lot cheaper you are prity much just losing the zoom. that is the only diffrence between the fl 12 and the fl 18 and fl 20.

Or get an ice 35 that does it all for a hunred bucks less............
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline BradB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Well Brad, you came here spouting about how "some people get it" and Vexilar is a superior unit. It appears you are now bothered by the facts that's I posted throwing that theory out the window. You seem to be having trouble discussing the actual unit you claim to be superior now. Why? You seem to be more worried about me and electrons Brad. Nobody cares about that  ......... YOU mentioned my "union logo" for some reason and then you ask me what that has to do with anything. My union affiliation is always in my signature line not just there for this particular thread.  Do you not know how these boads function? Feel free to take your intelligence and disprove anything I said about ALL the statements I made about the Vex heads and even the "S" cable you feel I'm ranting about. Why is it "old news"? The FL-12, 18, 20 all have it built in. Why? Sorry if you weren't expecting the Vex head to take a beat down like that. Brad, you claimed it superior, feel free to tell us all now how that is. We that "don't get it" would love to see YOUR comparison. Your expertise on electrons (you started) isn't going to be enough. Take off your white lab coat Brad. If you claim something superior in every way you'd better be able to back it up option by option, detail by detail Brad or fshmanmb. I disproved your superiority theory feel free to disprove mine.

always enjoy when someone proves their point with ignorance and opinion.. you are the champ!!!

as i suspected ALL your data was from Marcum's testing...  and you still haven't explained why you posted your union affiliation??? and I'm not talking about the logo... check your posts and it is front and center.

no point in discussing facts with you because they don't matter when you function from a position of ignorance and opinion... as for the electron lessons.. people pay money for that!!!

buddies use marcums... we joke about each others stuff.... but, most would never get into technical details with me... they are way too smart.

bye bye... i hear big fish calling me

eyestroker.... are you for real??? ice 35??? aren't you the Electronic Engineering Grad that didn't know the difference between gain and power??? that would get you an F in my class... big difference... maybe you, junior and esox magnum can get together and learn!!!

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:32 PM »
I spend alot of time out on open water and hard water and try all sorts of new products. Ive used older Vexilars like the FL-18's, Marcum LX-3 and my buddies LX-5 and have come to the conclusion that they all work quite well but some are a hair better then others. I'm currently running a Vexilar FL-22 HD and in my opinion its the best flasher out there. The seperation is just as good as the LX-5 with a few more options I appreciate. I love the flat face, no snow build up when fishing outside and easy to keep clean. I like the night mode which makes it easy on the eyes in a dark hut. Tri-beam is a cool option that Im fooling around with and think it will come in handy in shallow weedy areas. Ive posted some pics and videos on the forum that pretty much speak for themselfs as too the success Ive had with the unit. Im going to film alot more detailed video of the FL-22 HD and post it on youtube in the future.

Please do that, and let us know becuase I have 600 saved up for one of those and plan to purchase one very soon

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:33 PM »
but what about the FL-22????

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:42 PM »
In electronics, gain is a measure of the ability of a circuit (often an amplifier) to increase the power or amplitude of a signal from the input to the output. It is usually defined as the mean ratio of the signal output of a system to the signal input of the same system. It may also be defined on a logarithmic scale, in terms of the decimal logarithm of the same ratio ("dB gain").

And ohm's law is what?  E=I/R
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I am in the market for a flasher this season and was looking for some advice as to what brand and model guys are using and seem to like thanks

When I researched all the different brands, I finally just asked a couple guys that I know well, and I know they have used and/or seen almost everything out there used. When I started pricing them, both used and new I ended up buying a new unit for $50-75 more than what a lot of used ones go for. I couldn't believe how much they go for used, so I would get what you can afford. you can upgrade easily without losing much money on the used unit. Just try to get the features you'll need on the first one, I do like having the zoom. Shop around too, I think I found mine on amazon after comparing prices for over a week. I have an FL-18 Ultra Pack and a Humminbird 787c2 (portable flasher/chart plotter).

Everyone talks about target separation and power. I don't fish in 200' of water or fish for 2" fish.

For everyone else here's the horse, have at it. Maybe you can have a nice chat over Chevy or Ford next, the speedometer on my truck doesn't go under 10mph, must be junk ;)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:11 PM »
There was another post this morning that states the same as you. I hope mine is trouble free or it may become a football and get punted across the ice and spend the rest of it's life on a shelf.  :o ;)

"Timing issue, seemed to be a problem with during the Nature Vision ownership. I'm sure a call to Versa will be helpful. If a timing thing no other way to fix but send it in."

Same guy made both replies   ;D

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:00 PM »
always enjoy when someone proves their point with ignorance and opinion.. you are the champ!!!

as i suspected ALL your data was from Marcum's testing...  and you still haven't explained why you posted your union affiliation??? and I'm not talking about the logo... check your posts and it is front and center.

no point in discussing facts with you because they don't matter when you function from a position of ignorance and opinion... as for the electron lessons.. people pay money for that!!!

buddies use marcums... we joke about each others stuff.... but, most would never get into technical details with me... they are way too smart.

bye bye... i hear big fish calling me

eyestroker.... are you for real??? ice 35??? aren't you the Electronic Engineering Grad that didn't know the difference between gain and power??? that would get you an F in my class... big difference... maybe you, junior and esox magnum can get together and learn!!!
::) Boy, he sure told us didn't he fellas? Jesus H Chris+ Brad, you keep asking me about my union representation. You wrote this before anything else "Junior 58...lots of numbers.. what is the source? noticed your Marcum ad and union logo in your signature" You make a reference to it and then totally forget you asked first. I simply stated several times it had nothing to do with this thread and it's always in my signature. Are you retarded? As far as the Vex head unit You presented NOTHING You'd get an F in common sense. Now I also know you're a liar as soon as you started saying you had buddies.  :cookoo: Naive and denial  ..... look them up Brad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.