Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ft.Dodge/Brushy creek area  (Read 15106 times)

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ft.Dodge/Brushy creek area
« Reply #90 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:28 AM »
got about 1 1/2" last night....   DROVE ON BRIGGS WOODS LAST NIGHT...the cajones are growing!!!!  had about 15" of ice.... got out, set up, realized i left the lx-5 on the dishwasher, went home...end of story.

Offline Bignate33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Jan 07, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Bassrat, has Briggs started lighting up yet?  I was up a couple times before Christmas, and it was pretty dead...just a very few little gills.  I'm planning to head either there or Brushy on Sat, and possibly Sunday as well.  Blue Clam Yukon and maroon Dodge Dakota..stop in sometime if you see me out there.
You can't go fishing and drink beer all day if you don't start first thing in the morning!

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • spent most my life fishn rest have been wasted
« Reply #92 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Not much snow on the ice ,its all going to be blown off that wind got ruff today 1 fish on broke my line ,alot of lookers and couldnt hardly fish in the flipover ,wouldnt stay very warm with the mrheater on high .12-15" ice everywhere we fished

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #93 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Bassrat, has Briggs started lighting up yet?  I was up a couple times before Christmas, and it was pretty dead...just a very few little gills.  I'm planning to head either there or Brushy on Sat, and possibly Sunday as well.  Blue Clam Yukon and maroon Dodge Dakota..stop in sometime if you see me out there.

I fished there about 10 days ago and we hammered the gills!

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #94 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:08 PM »
well guys I hate to say it but I will not be making it up to brushy this weekend. Got asked to stay a little closer to home. Thanks for the heads up bassrat I live in dsm know nothing about this sportshow is the the one out at bass pro? I didnt think the big one was till feb?

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:20 PM »
I fished there about 10 days ago and we hammered the gills!

how'd the new noodle treat ya?   at least there's starting to get enough fishably structure in there to handle more than a handful of people.... lets hope the wind dies down and it gets fishable soon....this is killin me!!!!

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:16 AM »
I planned to get over there this weekend and may yet tomorrow - the National Duals are in town at the dome so I'll probably occupy myself over there a bit today. Still can't believe Brands pulled the Hawks out of the tourney - he can't be scared... Unless he just thought he would follow John Smith's lead - think it's been 3 or 4 years since he's brought OK State up. So much for getting the top 10 teams under 1 roof for the weekend and promoting the sport... There's always Cornell really who could put on a clinic. Sorry got a little off the topic... If I'm out tomorow I'll be on a Red Outty 4x4 and a Trap Thermal X looking to turn the lake out... Been itiching to put my new lakemaster card to work on Brushy.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline icetard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Fish mitts, I will be in a big gray building next to a big green tractor listing to a guy we call Luke b***h about working too hard. Wish I would have been able to hit the ice with ya. Next weekend is a 3 day'r for me.

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #98 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Gonna be heading down there this weekend.  At the end of this week could someone give an update on ice conditions and how much snow is now on the ice.  If you want a report on if the fishing is good or slow no hot spots or anything, just if they are biting and if they are deep and on the bottom and colors and type of jig.  I am coming from 1.5 hours away and sorta wanna know what is up.  Thanks!!

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #99 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:46 PM »
I'll let you know. i'll be there  wed-fri  ;D

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:59 PM »
there was at least 6" of snow on the ice today by the south boat ramp and Taylors Island where we fished. Around 12" of ice everywhere we drilled back there. Marked and seen little gills and crappie all day.  Got few descent ones to bite between 5pm to 6 and that was it. Also seen a muskie cruisen around down there in 3 different spots we set up at  :o

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Anyone out this week? We were over this past weekend, sat was slow and sunday better. Caught some nice gills 8-9", small crappie, bass and perch, all fish released-this time ;D. Saw some real good eye's and huge bass, they were just real finicky. Probably be over this weekend again, hope to see some of ya out there. Good luck. 

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:59 PM »
was there today from 1230 till 4 fishing was good and fast for dinks  i fished the main ramp west side 13" of ice 6 to 8 " of snow

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Any report?  Heading over in the morning and fish til Sunday.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:55 PM »
i'll be doing some scouting today from 3- ?  by the east ramp if anyone wants to help.....offer stands to anyone that can use an (my) aqua vu.   ;D

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:01 PM »
sorry for the double post, but... went to brushy...got on the ice about 3.....drilled a couple hundred holes...set about 10 waypoints fished from 5-7....lotsa lookers, 4 bites (my bad, left the minnow bucket at home)...caught 2 crappies (both about 14") and 2 eyes' ( a 16" and a 19").....be back out tomorrow with a different approach.   :-\

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:20 PM »
What depth of water you get the eyes ?? Sounds like you did good 2 big crappies and 2 keeper walleyes good job!! We were thinkn of headn in the am also you drive out all over hows the ice now been a wk since fished brushy.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:29 PM »
27-35 feet...rocks with wood.   tomorrow gonna hit the panfish hot spots during the day, then move to the places i scouted today about 4ish...i've gor my screen name on the front of my eskimo quick flip...if ya see me, stop by and i'll let go of a few secrets.  ;)

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Thanks if we head up will look for ya !! :icefish: Did you drive all over vehicle or 4whl??

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:49 PM »
walked out pulling WAAAAAAAAAY too much stuff.....drilled holes....fished....wal ked back, got the truck...drove out and loaded up...13" where there was only 8" last week.  a couple more inches and the whole thing SHOULD (i assume no liability) be good.   ;D

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:20 PM »
Thanks for the update bassrat.  Our group will be there in the morning and will be west of the north ramp.  Stop on by.

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:30 PM »
We should be around there somewhere tomorrow too. Black Frabill and white Honda quad. Stop by and say hi!

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:34 PM »
i dont know who or what u are talking about but i have a perm on the east ramp around the corner of the south jetty i fish 4 to 5 days a week i have no secrets look me up i would be glad to visit with you i cant catch them all nor can anybody else

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Sunday our group of 11 people got 45 gills and crappie.  Quite a few small ones that were thrown back which was not normal for us to get small ones.  I did see one Musky on my underwater camera which is always a treat to see.  Too bad I can't tell how big of a fish it was.  Monday 2 of us went out to Briggs Woods Lake for a couple hours as we have never been there and got skunked.  1 bite and seen a few fish on the Vex.  We had no idea where to go so we went about 100 yards east of the boat ramp where it looks like a perm was there.  I need to find more info out about this lake and where the brush piles are at or whatever improvements they did to the lake.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Can someone give some updated ice/snow - thickness/depths, thanks. Maybe see some of ya this weekend.

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Jan 19, 2011, 09:09 AM »
we had about 15 inches of ice on Sunday to the west of the north boat ramp.  About 5 inches of snow and drove out no problem.

Hope this helps.

Offline superstockbigblock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 20, 2011, 11:08 PM »
I drove my pickup out today...just a 1/2 ton chevy with topper but the ice was all 15-17in. It was really cold out, caught a few fish anyway.

Offline marbleyz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:28 PM »
sounds like the fishing is doing good up that way, thinking about heading up on sunday for a while, just trying to decide when to leave, you guys mind sharing the better time to be there, say the morning bit or evening bite? any info would be great, thanks and tight lines

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:55 PM »
not trying to keep people away but the bite is WAAAAAAAAAAAY off....guides in the area are going to briggs woods and elm.  :-\

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:25 AM »
if you are going to fish brushy first lite till 10 leave come back 230 till dark leave that the bite now for me and 90% of the people on the lake but someone else may have a different story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.