Author Topic: vexilar questions  (Read 5374 times)

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: FL-22HD---First time on ice--Yesterday!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:20 AM »
When you have a vex, you dont need a spare for a backup. Might as well sell it and get some of your money back.  ::)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:29 AM »
If you got any pics of the 22 in action I'd be interested. The head units are are going in and out of stock quick, I guess I'll have to snag one from the next batch.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:47 AM »
When you have a vex, you dont need a spare for a backup. Might as well sell it and get some of your money back.  ::)
  I should have stated that better!  I meant for my son-in-law and/or grandson to use when he gets old enough! :)  Fin

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:49 AM »
If you got any pics of the 22 in action I'd be interested. The head units are are going in and out of stock quick, I guess I'll have to snag one from the next batch.
  Going out Monday, if I get a chance I'll see if can snap some pics with my phone and post them.  Fin

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Ive been out with my FL-22 a few times as well and its awsome. Super crisp display and tight seperation. I think Im in love again  :) Now Im waiting for my Lure Lightning to add on and I'll be set. I was a Marcum fan till I used this rig.

Cheers!!

Offline BMW20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:02 PM »
I'd be interested in any pics / video as well. I'm pretty much interested in anything that has to do with ice fishing right now since we don't have any ice yet.

congrats on the new unit.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: vexilar questions
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Finer crisper lines, true 3 colors, no blending of 2 to get 3, zoom anywhere, target seperation, dual beam ducer, better IR, no add ons to buy later,cable for shallow water,cup holders, rod holders ect, no float drifting randomly in your hole getting in the way ,no annoying hum, picks up bottm huggers better. Downside, shorter battery life, and no night veiwing. Been running the LX-5 for 5 years now and fish next to a FL-20 and never a regret. Fished today in 7' and took home more than my buddy. Both work but IMHO the LX does it better.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I think the FL-20 will be going the of the dinosaur and a proper comparison of the units would be a Lx-5 and the  Ice 55 side by side with a Vex FL-22 HD. If given the choice I highly doubt a person will by a FL-20 vs a FL-22, unless your the 1% who fish deeper then 60 ft.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:13 PM »
Can anyone outhere help me decide on what vex unit I reall need? I was at sportsmans the other day looking and have been looking online as well. I am very familiar with the fl-18 as my grandpa has one. but I was looking at the new 22 and 20's but dont reall understand the differance for the price. I generally never fish below 30 feet on home waters but do plan on making trips up to IGL and maybe even a mill lacs run also. Any help would be appreciated.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:19 PM »
The 22 still doesnt fix the target seperation, still a bleeding 3 color, still need a low power mode and costs a bunch. You can find deals on LX's and save  up to $200 or more. And Marcums are made in the USA, no others can say that.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:22 PM »
i bought a fl-18 last year and that goes to 200 feet it was the best thing i bought for ice fishing works really good and very seldom have problems with it

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Marcums are made in the USA, no others can say that.

Humminbird can.made in alabama...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:04 PM »
I sold my Vex's years ago and moved to a Marcum LX-5, much better flasher for less money and it is made in America unlike the Vex.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:06 PM »
My mistake, not familiar with the Birds.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:44 PM »
No Lx or Humminbird.   Vexilar for Me ;D

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:00 AM »
I don't know the exact specs on the differences between the fl18-20 or 22 and haven't used the 22 so I can't comment on that.  In 30 feet of water even a fl8 is adequate.  The main difference I have noticed between my 18 and 20 is the 20 is noticably easier to tune in the smaller lures.  I also like the flat readout on the 20.  I guess it comes down to your budget and how long you plan to keep the unit.  My personal vote is slightly in favor of the 20 over the 18 knowing I have no experience with the 22.  One final thought:  through the years I have accumilated several flashers.  One is a Marcum and the rest are Vexilars.  For what it's worth, my opinion is I really don't care which flasher I grab.  They all work well.  I have had reason to use costumer service with Marcum and Vexilar and both companies were absolutely top notch for service.  So from my perspective I guess it comes down to your personal preference.   

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:51 AM »

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2010, 03:00 AM »
I sold my Vex's years ago and moved to a Marcum LX-5, much better flasher for less money and it is made in America unlike the Vex.

I'm going to bite, because I am seriously considering ditching my FL-20 for a LX-5... How hard are you on stuff?  Because I have beat the crap out of my Vex and it keeps ticking.  I grew up in Iowa, the lakes there are a cake walk to access compared to what I deal with out here in Montana, it's long and fast drives on quads(big pressure ridges, methane pockets, good times and thats on the lake, the roads to some of them are another story) and stuff its going to get rattled, my ducers will wind up getting knocked around.

I already have heard and seen all I want to hear/know about the target definition difference, I am already sold on it, my old man owns one, seen it in action, but they still don't seem that tough to me.....  I am not impressed with the ergonomics of the marcum at all, it's not a deal breaker, but I am not a fan of that chincy ducer arm, soft pack or hood and I like my float, my pack and flat screen. 

Will I forget all this when fishing weeds and picking them fish off the bottom? Will it put up with my ruthlessness? 

Offline fireball122809

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:14 AM »
I looked at the new vexilar about 3 weeks ago .I was impress with some of the improvement and some of the others not so impressed with . I have the Fl-20  I love it .  :tipup:

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:37 AM »
On youtube Matt Johnson has a video comparing the Vex FL-20 to the new FL22HD

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:42 AM »
Henry, my old LX is 5 years old and still ticking, I wasnt fond of the arm either at first now wont fish witout it. I drag my LX's in the shack behinde the sled with no added protection and have yet to break anything, I prefer marcums covers to the Vex ones myself. I sat next to a FL-20 all day yesterday and had no urges to go back. Only thing my buddy has on his vex I want is the night veiw mode, not fond of the flat screen and all the numbers on the vex scale, plus I couldnt go back to the fuzzy blended lines after running the LX and the fine crisp lines so long. The basic frame of the LX is not much different than a vex frame and head units are also similar in size.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #51 on: Dec 06, 2010, 05:26 PM »
For what its worth I doubt you will find anyone that abuses their flashers worse than I do. I have lost my LX5 going 60 across a lake,lost one of my 3's off the top of my car driving away from my house. I have 5 LX units and they all get treated poorly. Bouncing around in the sled, on the quad, riding on the quad going down the road(SD roads suck,lol) They ALL still work as good as the day I bought them. I love mine in shallow water and weeds.You wont be disapointed.

I agree with essox about the arm, you couldnt pay me to switch to a float. The arm may look cheap,but I have never broke one.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 06, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Thanks guys, I only have 3 weeks left to fish this season, but I will probably be converting or adding one to my arsenal next season.  I had already pretty much been sold on it, but I have a lot of time before I actually pick one up and I like to hear as much as I can from users.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 11, 2010, 12:25 AM »
I have the fl-20 pro pack, and it is awesome.  I have the dual transducer allowing for two signal cone sizes and it has all the bells and whistles.  One of the great features is that it fits inside a 5 gallon bucket and has a tackle box attatched.  Battery meter and led display.  Target seperation is as good as the marcums in my opinion, and my buddy is a marcum guy and is thinking about getting a vex.  I will tell you that it is all about location and your ability to interprate your finder.  They all work, the vex just looks like a bad a$$ machine, and I used it right away with little to no fiddling.  You can use any flasher, and if you dont know or understand what you are seeing, you wil catch nothing.  Get whatever you are willing to stare at for countless hours.  If price-point determines your decision, but its not what you want, you will not be happy.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.