Author Topic: Shanty Anchors  (Read 19435 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Shanty Anchors
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:25 PM »
 I use strike master Ice loks just drill a partial hole on a 45 off of each corner insert and pull up. they come with a couple of fittings to attach to your sled and a hook on the end of the rope.
I fill the holes when I leave with snow or finnish drilling them and let them freeze over.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:59 AM »
clam makes a tool you put on a drill and just drill them in the ice. i got one at the show in syracuse last week
Just enjoying life

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:18 AM »
I always have a saftey rope with me with a 2x4 tied on the end... i drill a hole and put it in and tie one end to my shanty. nothing extra to bring, and the rope is already secure if needed for a rescue. to prevent the hole from freezing, I put a circle piece of foam over it. Cheap and effective!   RB

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Eastmans ice anchors are the bomb one hand in any ice.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 24, 2009, 05:03 PM »
http://ultimateiceanchor.com/Home.html try these there a little spendy but well worth it :tipup:

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:25 AM »
http://ultimateiceanchor.com/Home.html try these there a little spendy but well worth it :tipup:

Looks intriging.  No size or dimensions.  Are they 4 inches or 2 feet long???
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:46 AM »
I saw those at the St. Paul Ice fishing show.
The demonstrator screwed them into a block of ice, they worked great.

They are about 6" long, and hollow, which is why they cut threw the ice so easy.

I liked them but didn't buy any due to price. ($40 for two)

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Dec 25, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Those prices are fairly steep, too rich for me.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Dec 26, 2009, 02:00 PM »
I'm making something right now using a 7" piece of conduit. I'll post picts when its done, total cost will be around a buck.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Use the lag bolts also, after chasing my Clam across the ice twice in one day had to figure something out.

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I took pvc pipe cut 3" bigger than the hole I drill. Drill a hole through the middle. Put a wire clothes hanger through inside and formed big eyes on both sides. Put 1/8 nylon rope tied through hole in center. Anchor same as rope and stick.  Except when you back off pressure on rope you can retrieve anchor with gaff.

Offline sport masterson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ceritifed in C.P.R - Catch Photo Release
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:20 PM »
I got a CLAM Expedition (Pop up style) for Christmas, the floorless model.  it came with four of CLAM's ice anchors and i have to say they were very easy to screw in the ice (i did not pre-drill holes or start them with a mallot), they held my shanty in place as advertised, and unscrewed easily at teh end of the day.  the only tweak i have done at this point, is added four carribeaners to the tie down ropes that i use to attach the ropes to the sides of the shack.  they make it much easier to disconnect the ropes at the end of the day than trying to unite a small knot with frozen fingers.  hope this helps.

josh

The Green Hornet has caught more fish than you've lied about.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Clam makes an attachment for your cordless drill that puts the anchors in lickity split.

I know it's more junk to carry, but the anchors go in so much better than trying to screw them in by hand.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I was looking around the other week for ice anchor system and bought the clam ice anchor kits for the 2 portable houses i just bought. Wish i would have saw this first as i would have been on it like stink. Very neat invention idea the guy came up with.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:05 PM »

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:21 PM »
I thought that clams anchors were  pieces of junk.... so I went to the hardware store and picked up some 1/4" x 5" timber screws and some 1/4" fender washers. These particular screws go in with a cordless drill and a Torx T-30 bit. Worked awesome... wouldn't move once set and unscrewed easily when needed. Total Cost... about $3

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:46 PM »
I made a pair of ice anchors like the one Clam sells.  Work great.  I get the screws started by hand and then use the handle of  my skimmer as a lever to spin them in the rest of the way.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I used the clam anchors for the first time this year.

They work ok.   I did  get the tool for the cordless drill that allows me to put them in easy.

I think the screw part needs to be bigger.   They held ok - it was very windy, and they didn't come out until I took them out.

Wiener

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I use the Clam anchors. I simply start drilling a hole with the auger. I don't go very far, just need to have the center point start a small hole. Then the anchors go right in and you can get them back. No ankle buster hole, no foreign objects in the lake. I use a small piece of rope to attach the anchors to some eye bolts that I added to the back of my Yukon sled. I have only had to use this a couple of times, but it worked fine. If you want to be fancy you can get the whole harness that Clam sells, but the rope and eye bolts were cheaper. They all fit in one of the pouches on the back of the seats. Always in the sled. And I always take my auger, so everything is already there. The anchors and rope weigh very little. Just how I control my drifting in the ice shack.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 26, 2010, 10:18 PM »
in my shanty, there are two compartments for jigging. in these compartments i put a ratchet strap through one hole and bring it through the second hole and then ratchet it down. the compartments are adjacent and the straps are completely out of the way.
I do the same with a rope, but I like the ratchet idea  THANKS!!!!

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Here is a link to the tool I use:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/WC-2422/Wolfcraft-Hook-Driver

I then bought some 1/4" x 5" Stainless eye bolts. I use my drill as I have it out there anyways to run the auger. Zips them in fast and holds them in place.

Craig

Offline IcePirate6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaggg!!!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:55 AM »
The best thing I ever started using was a lag bolt with a washer and the cordless drill with the ratchet attachement on it. Locks it down quick and does not go anywhere.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Here is a link to the tool I use:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/WC-2422/Wolfcraft-Hook-Driver

I then bought some 1/4" x 5" Stainless eye bolts. I use my drill as I have it out there anyways to run the auger. Zips them in fast and holds them in place.

Craig

Awesome, been looking for something like that.

Offline ChknChkn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:59 AM »
I've got a Clam BaseCamp.....love it.

I used the screw in ice anchors last year....pretty time consuming. This year, started pre-drilling with a small hand drill, which was much easier, but still pretty slow.

Came up with a much easier & faster system for anchoring the corners. Got some 4 inch lag screws (with washers), take a hammer and whack the lag screw a couple times to start it. Then I use a Speed Handle with a socket on it....buzzes the screws in in no time flat! Slicker than owl snot.......still use 2 ice anchors for tiedowns on the 2 sides that face the wind (I point a corner into the wind also).

Here's a pic of the speed handle I use.....lag screws/washers go into a Crown Royal bag (hmmm...wonder how I came up with an empty bag?), and everything fits into the BaseCamp bag.

One fish at a time...........

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:09 PM »
I've got a Clam BaseCamp.....love it.

I used the screw in ice anchors last year....pretty time consuming. This year, started pre-drilling with a small hand drill, which was much easier, but still pretty slow.

Came up with a much easier & faster system for anchoring the corners. Got some 4 inch lag screws (with washers), take a hammer and whack the lag screw a couple times to start it. Then I use a Speed Handle with a socket on it....buzzes the screws in in no time flat! Slicker than owl snot.......still use 2 ice anchors for tiedowns on the 2 sides that face the wind (I point a corner into the wind also).

Here's a pic of the speed handle I use.....lag screws/washers go into a Crown Royal bag (hmmm...wonder how I came up with an empty bag?), and everything fits into the BaseCamp bag.

(Image removed from quote.)
yes thats what i was thinking of doing but i haven't had time to try it this year. it's been a fuuny year. but thanks thats what i'm going to do for the next season.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:50 PM »
I use some 1/4" x 5" timber screws with a fender washer.... picked it all up for around $5. They run in real quick with the cordless and hold NICE

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #56 on: Feb 26, 2010, 04:06 AM »
i use a piece of 1/1/2 pvc pipe bout 9 in long with 2 ho;es drilled in middle put a rope through it tye it off insert in ho;e and clip your shanty to it
use scouper to take it out at end of day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.