Author Topic: Who is still fishing?  (Read 5853 times)

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Who is still fishing?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2010, 11:07 PM »
i havent been on the ice in three weeks and last time the ice was looking a little scary even on tweny inches.  i went out and fished open water.  caught only one small rainbow. 

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 21, 2010, 01:38 PM »
24" to 30" of ice still where I've been going. Was -14f at the reservoir yesterday morning.Still have at least three weeks of hardwater.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 21, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Might be able to squeeze in one more trip.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 21, 2010, 02:25 PM »
 ice is still growing up here, getting down to -15c at night still.  shame our season closes at the end of the month.  30 days of hardcore withdrawal coming up before i can hit the river for some sturgeon and walleye action.

Offline hardwater603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 21, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Im headed up to northern maine tomorow morning for "spring break" from school while everyone else is headed to the beaches im goin ice fishing, and i couldnt be happier
FISH ON!!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 21, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Im headed up to northern maine tomorow morning for "spring break" from school while everyone else is headed to the beaches im goin ice fishing, and i couldnt be happier
Now THIS dude belongs here on IS. That's pretty cool  8).
I may squeeze one more trip in after thinking I was done. My better judgement tells me I'm pushing it though. :-\
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 21, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Took my snobear out for the last time yesterday here in ND.  Will prob try walking on next weekend if the weather holds!

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #37 on: Mar 21, 2010, 09:41 PM »
went fishing this morning and the ice is still in decent shape and I saw at least one quad on the ice. Hoping to make one more trip later this week.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 21, 2010, 09:47 PM »
i'm still fishin' just not on the ice, time for the rivers

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #39 on: Mar 22, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Well I'm about to give it up, it is getting much easier to find open water at a boat ramp than it is to find safe ice. I'm officially done. I took the tarps off the boat yesterday and got the boat ready.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Mar 22, 2010, 10:27 AM »
No problem here, but I didn't make it out this weekend as I had stuff to do to prepare for next weeks icefishing vacation extravaganza!!!    ;D
Plus it was -40 with the wind chill!!!!! 
    :woot:

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 22, 2010, 11:36 AM »
we still got 40" of ice.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #42 on: Mar 22, 2010, 09:50 PM »
was out on foot yesterday,now that the snow is all melted now i can start my ice fishing season (:   still 20'' of decent ice yet on big lakes. think my season will be the shortest ever.....
born to fish---forced to work

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 24, 2010, 08:34 AM »

I'd do it, but I'm 64.  If I was college age...,Hmmm, Chicks in bikini's, ice fishing?????

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 25, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Ice stuff is put away and the boat is out.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #45 on: Mar 25, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Taking the quad out this weekend and on monday, still lots of ice but its getting soft so the truck can stay on shore. Kinda sad ice fishing season is over but at least ive got soft water to pass the time.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 25, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Taking the quad out this weekend and on monday, still lots of ice but its getting soft so the truck can stay on shore. Kinda sad ice fishing season is over but at least ive got soft water to pass the time.

I like soft or hard water fishing, but there is something different about ice fishing.  I don't know if it is the intensity, or what?

How would you guys explian it?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #47 on: Mar 25, 2010, 04:24 PM »
I have figured out a way to prolong it. I have a old pontoon boat I am going to mount a permanent ice shack on the deck and cut holes through the floor. Why not? If anchored good it would be just like ice fishing only you net the fish through the hole. With a wood stove, fish in the cold, wind, rain, after dark, keep the mosquitoes out, who cares. Seriously I think I have talked myself into a new project for early and late season open water fishing.

Offline Surefishalot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 25, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Fishing from the beach now, catching a sh*t load of striped bass. ;D ;D ;D
saltwater-freshwater what ever floats your boat!

Offline JDiPerrio

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 25, 2010, 07:30 PM »
 :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woot:

Great to here! Only alittle while longer and they will be in RI and MA

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 25, 2010, 09:52 PM »
I have figured out a way to prolong it. I have a old pontoon boat I am going to mount a permanent ice shack on the deck and cut holes through the floor. Why not? If anchored good it would be just like ice fishing only you net the fish through the hole. With a wood stove, fish in the cold, wind, rain, after dark, keep the mosquitoes out, who cares. Seriously I think I have talked myself into a new project for early and late season open water fishing.

I got news...,they got shacks down on the Wolf river toward Freemont, and had them for years.  They are like ice shacks, but no holes.  They float them along the banks for the walleye run.  They rig the rods up with lights, like the ones on tip ups.  Heaters inside, beer stays outside until needed.

Years ago they used 55 gal. drums to float them.  It's been a while since I lived down there so I don't know what they use today?

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #51 on: Mar 25, 2010, 10:50 PM »
  Having our annual last weekend hurrahh here in Saskatchewan. Lots of ice for quad's and some people are still driving out with vehicles. Our lake of choice this year (Barrier) still has 24" of good and 6" of frozen slush. Will post pic's    should be good for a chuckle    Tight Lines

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 26, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Looking forward to seeing them.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #53 on: Mar 26, 2010, 08:32 AM »
I got news...,they got shacks down on the Wolf river toward Freemont, and had them for years.  They are like ice shacks, but no holes.  They float them along the banks for the walleye run.  They rig the rods up with lights, like the ones on tip ups.  Heaters inside, beer stays outside until needed.

Years ago they used 55 gal. drums to float them.  It's been a while since I lived down there so I don't know what they use today?

Yea but I'm talking about fishing down through holes in the floor just like ice fishing with the LX-5 and all. Maybe even make removable wooden tunnel's that goes down through the hole all the way to the water, like 2'x2' square holes. And I never said that I was the the first one to ever think of it, just that I am going to do it!

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Mar 26, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Heading to Canada for one last try this weekend! ;D

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #55 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Should have at least 2 weeks yet, hopefully more.  Most years I'd be saying a month yet.  Last year my last day out was May 3rd, but I can't see that happening this year.  8)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #56 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:58 PM »
  Having our annual last weekend hurrahh here in Saskatchewan. Lots of ice for quad's and some people are still driving out with vehicles. Our lake of choice this year (Barrier) still has 24" of good and 6" of frozen slush. Will post pic's    should be good for a chuckle    Tight Lines

Do you have decent luck there in the winter? Ive never ice fished it but ive been there several times in the summer and usually I cant seem to catch anything put pike. Do you guys get any walleyes or perch out of there?
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 26, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Yea but I'm talking about fishing down through holes in the floor just like ice fishing with the LX-5 and all. Maybe even make removable wooden tunnel's that goes down through the hole all the way to the water, like 2'x2' square holes. And I never said that I was the the first one to ever think of it, just that I am going to do it!

Never meant it to be derogatory, just informative.  Sorry if you got it the wrong way.  The holes will kind of put a kink in any horizontal presentation, don't you think?

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #58 on: Mar 27, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Buddy of mine went out yesterday on a lake up north (I had to work  :'( :'(). Caught some nice gills and perch.  When he went out at noon he said he had to walk out about 5-6 feet in water to get to the ice (ankle deep).  Ice was about 6-7".  He came off around supper time and the ice on the lake must have shifted.  He said the ice was 25-30 yards from shore!!!!  He said he was lucky and it was shallow there, he had on his knee boots and the water there was just to the top of the boots.  He said he's done and that's his last time out for the season.  Fin

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #59 on: Mar 27, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Silvercliff 46, The conversation was on ice fishing withdrawal and this was my cure. I will be vertical jigging with my ice fishing gear mainly for Crappie and Bluegill. I will have all the warm weather months to fish out of my Ranger for Bass, Walleye, etc. I never could get into that over hyped Wolf River run. I can usually catch all the Walleye and pan fish I want right where I'm at.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.