Author Topic: Cascade Ice Report  (Read 16571 times)

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
Re: Cascade Ice Report
« Reply #30 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Be careful at Cascade this next week or so guys, there's like almost 10" of really wet slush under the snow!!! I was there today and was so happy my boots were water proof, I think. It may have been that the water just froze on them before it could soak in, Hahaha...Hogger

Offline DoveMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:34 PM »
Fished off Boulder the last 3 afternoons.

Friday: 30 or so perch, 3 over 8". 1 10" coho. Snow was terribly deep. Fished 2 holes.

Saturday: Lots of perch, very active and willing to bite. 10 over 8". Easier to walk on the snowmobile tracks. Fished 1 hole.

Sunday: 15 or so perch, had to work hard even for the little ones. 3 over 8". Warmed up just above 10 degrees and the slush was everywhere I went. Fished 10 holes.   

Took a drive up Warren Wagon on Payette, south end skimmed over, north end still open. Saw one guy fishin 20 yards out from his dock in a cove. Looks like it's going to be a wait for that lake.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:49 PM »
That was me ;D
About 4" of ice in that cove. it was open water on thursday. caught 2 rainbows and missed a 3rd in about 2 hours. tried 40, 30, 20, 10 feet of water...caught the fish in 6'

Offline DoveMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I had a faint feeling that it was you, and definetly someone from Ice Shanty! Nice work.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Yeah I spudded on my way out... The second wack put a crack right across the bay! Slightly unnerving

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:27 AM »
RE; Rickm.  Alot of crappie were caught out of C.J.Strike and Brownlee this year.  I caught a few out of Blacks Creek Resevoir in Boise.  I called Fish and Game and was told the crappie are put there by independent local fisherman who transport the fish from other fisheries in their livewells.  I am certain someone has put them in Cascade also. We will be on the ice in Cascade in the next few weeks.  I am new to this site, and I am so glad to finnally be able to contact others who keep up on the Ice reports.  Thanks.
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline DoveMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Off Poison for a few hours this afternoon, along with the 50 others or so out there. Really slow, the bright sun didn't help. 1 small rainbow on a tipup, and around 10 perch or so, with only a few being respectable. Lots of lookers on the vex, but you really had to work for them to get a hit. Fished a bunch of holes too. Snow gets worse the farther you go out it seems, and off the tracks.

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:41 AM »
My wife and I were on Poison Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th. Saturday was a good day for the 20 or so folks on the ice. We met a fellow Iceshanty member "Me Too".  There were a few large trout 4 to 5 lbs caught and a few more perch.  The ice was 12 to 13 inches, but the snow on top, 8 to 10 inches, turned to slush. The weather did not fair well as it was warm. On Sunday it rained and rained. The slush turned into water on the ice which made for miserable conditions. We were the only ones on the ice the whole day. We would have been dryer if we had dove into our ice holes and fished for seagulls. We did good on Perch a few over 11". And I have to admit, My wife did a great job, she never complained once. I have fished in worse conditions, but not with my wife. On our way home we agreed this weekend was uncomfortable but still beat going to work!
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline iwantabuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:49 AM »
Thanks for posting your Sunday report, Cousin.  It was good meeting you.  Hope to run into you again at some point.  If you'd like to plan a trip together, PM me.
Keep your gun powder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:25 AM »
I went up on monday. Less slush then saturday. I dont know if the rain knocked down the snow causing less weight to be on the ice or what?
Fishing was slow for me. caught a couple nice ones...threw one into my sled...missed the sled and went down a hole! my rotten luck i guess.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:05 AM »
That sucks!!! Next time park the sled away from the holes....just a thought, lol

Offline BlacknTanMan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Went out on Saturday the 22nd of January for the first time in about ten years. Fished Cascade Lake at Blue Heron from about 9:30 am till 4:30 pm in 15.3 ft of water. Set out about 6 tipups and 8 rods. There was 3 adults fishing and one kid. We managed to catch 6 rainbows the largest being 20 inches and 11 kokannee.

Offline DoveMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Nice work, especially with the kokes.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Nice, didnt know cascade had kokes, I might head up tues, what do people use to catch trout on the ice?
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline BlacknTanMan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:14 PM »
  All we were using was worms and orange power bait together. We used just worms when the kokes came in and they were nailing them as fast as you could rebait. My  :tipup: arent sensitive enough for the kokes though and only 1 actually set the flag. So they robbed the baits off of most of them and 2 actually were on the line when we pulled them up to check the baits. Also tried corn,marshmallows and swedish pimples. the corn caught 1 koke. I think we would have done better but we had our baits to deep to start with. had them at about 10 ft to start with but then moved them up to about 5ft below the ice and started doing alot better. Im hoping to beable to go up again next Saturday, took the auger into the shop today to get it tuned up so hopefully its done by the end of the week.
  I didnt realize that cascade had kokes either till we started pulling them out.At first I thought they were small coho until further examination :-\

Brentster7189

« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:01 PM »
  All we were using was worms and orange power bait together. We used just worms when the kokes came in and they were nailing them as fast as you could rebait. My  :tipup: arent sensitive enough for the kokes though and only 1 actually set the flag. So they robbed the baits off of most of them and 2 actually were on the line when we pulled them up to check the baits. Also tried corn,marshmallows and swedish pimples. the corn caught 1 koke. I think we would have done better but we had our baits to deep to start with. had them at about 10 ft to start with but then moved them up to about 5ft below the ice and started doing alot better. Im hoping to beable to go up again next Saturday, took the auger into the shop today to get it tuned up so hopefully its done by the end of the week.
  I didnt realize that cascade had kokes either till we started pulling them out.At first I thought they were small coho until further examination :-\

I think I reused your holes today as their was lots of orange power bait laying around.  I pulled in one 13" perch and what I thought was a Coho but if your saying their were Kokanee there maybe that's what it was, it wasn't very bit.  That's all I got today, lots of light strikes, and some bait stripped off my tip ups.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:23 PM »
how was the ice? Did it set up?

Brentster7189

« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Had to keep the holes cleaned out, but I'd rather that then fishing in the slush.  Ice was great, a few inches of snow on some solid ice.

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:01 PM »
The surface is "killer" at cascade right now. Does solid mean anything to you guys. Just like we figured, the rain help the top set up and freeze perfectly!!! I took the little snowmobile out sun and although it was a little bumpy where the uneven slush and snow froze up, I was motoring around very easily....did I mention the surface was "killer" (in a good way, of course)!!!!

Brentster7189

« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Not the biggest guy to come out of here this year, but the biggest I've caught there in a long time.  I'm excited about these guys roaming the lake again.  Great stuff!

Offline jezzhuntin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:03 AM »
I will add to that, this one was right at 2 lbs.  Nice fish Brenster

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:55 PM »
Keep nailing them guys.... I decided too go up steelheading tomorrow thru Thurs, so I am skipping the ice fishing this weekend but I will most likely be out the next week if anyone wants too go with a power auger, man my arms hurt after drilling many holes by hand with my 8" hand auger.....
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Brentster7189

« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:26 PM »
I had an 8-IN hand auger, then downgraded to a 6-IN.  That's a lot of ice to move.  I'm not catching anything that won't come up through a 6-IN hole.  I did see some big holes when I was out there on the ice though.  Looked to be 10-IN, must have been a power auger.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 25, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Man u guys are lucky. Been in the mid to high 40s and raining in my neck of the woods

Offline BlacknTanMan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Brentster I was using a 10" auger on Saturday. If they were scattered all over the place kind of in a circle. Then they probably were. Plan on going again this coming Saturday so hopefully the weather cooperates. Man I would liketo learn how to catch some of those big perch. I caught a wopper this fall at SmithsFerry while I was trout fishing I figure he was close to 16" and about 3lbs. Thought it was a smallmouth at first the way it was fighting.

Offline Zolar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Thought I was catching Cokes. on Cascade until the Game warden told me they were Coho

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:18 PM »
16" &3#? that's a state record!

Brentster7189

« Reply #57 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:01 AM »
I think I saw the state record was 15.5"?  You caught a perch at Smiths Ferry?  I don't think I've seen anyone fishing there before.

I'm pretty sure I was using your holes then.  I wish I would have had as good of luck as you did.  That perch hit my tip up and was ripping line like no tomorrow, I was pretty suprised when I pulled it up. 

Offline jezzhuntin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:39 AM »
State record is 2 lbs 9 oz....which was caught I believe in January (when they are full of eggs) in the early 70s.  Damn nice perch tho BTM.  There are a lot of perch in Payette, people do really well just below the dam at Cascade.

Offline iwantabuggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Thought I was catching Cokes. on Cascade until the Game warden told me they were Coho

There are both in there.  2 weekends ago (15th) I caught 3 Kokes, a trout, a coho, and 4 perch all in the same day at Cascade.  I thought the Kokes were Coho at first, then I caught a trout and decided it was Coho and that the ones I thought were Coho were Kokes.  Later I caught a Coho and thought it was a trout.  Finally after arriving home, doing some research on the interenet, etc.  I got it all figured out.

Kokes have a > in the tail.  Coho look a lot like a trout, but have a black mouth on the inside with white where the teeth go into the jaw, and only have spots on the top 1/2 of the tail (none on the bottom).  Coho also do not have the > in the tail.  It can definitely be confusing.

I'll be at Cascade on Saturday also.  Probably will be at Poison creek as well, but haven't completely made up my mind yet.  Maybe I'll see you there?
Keep your gun powder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.