Author Topic: what kinda boots do you wear for ice fishing...  (Read 21164 times)

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what kinda boots do you wear for ice fishing...
« Reply #90 on: Nov 20, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I've had the Sorel Dominators for almost twenty years and they've gotten quite a bit of abuse. The worst thing about them is I don't have a second pair to keep in my work truck and they are no longer available. I'm trying out the Irish Setter Snow Claws but I'm not really happy that Redwing is farming their boots out to over in China. I like my Dominators since I can slip them on without lacing them up so I think I will try a pair of those Baffins especially the ones that have a little higher profile pictured above.
Another thing to remember is the socks. I usually wear a polypropelene liners with a single pair of Smartwool wool blend socks. I like the Smartwool as you get a good fit, feel and they really hold their shape well but they aren't giving these socks away. It's huge to make sure your boots fit with the proper layering of your socks as well.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jun 24, 2011, 09:43 AM »
I have a pair of golden retriever boots that I picked up for around $60 from Dunhams sports. They are 800 gram boots and keep my feet plent warm, and I am a cold person in general. I had a pair of columbias which were nice boots but could not keep my feet warm like these do.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Jun 24, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Picked up a pair of the black Mickey Mouse boots on ebay last season for about 40 bucks. They were the warmest, best boots I had worn out on the ice. Always just wore 1 pair of socks and my feet were NEVER cold (prob made 25 trips out onto the ice last season) They were great!  Cheers.

Offline SteelFitter87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Sep 14, 2011, 01:31 AM »
Rocky Bear Claw 1400

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #94 on: Sep 14, 2011, 04:29 AM »
a pair of burlys with an extra felt sole

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #95 on: Sep 14, 2011, 05:51 AM »
Irish Setter 1600 gram

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #96 on: Sep 14, 2011, 07:18 AM »
LOVE my Muck Boots. Very warm, water proof and come in different types and colors. Had them for years now.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #97 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Rocky for me (there heavy but warm), I have a pair of sorel's that go on the multi-day trips as a backup and thumbs up to them.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #98 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Cabelas Trans Alaskans are the best boot I have ever worn
Ditto on the Trans Alaskas!  Also put some screws in them, dedicate them to the ice and be warm, secure and happy while fishing.  @)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:47 PM »
Cabelas Trans Alaskans are the best boot I have ever worn

warm boots 2x's

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #100 on: Sep 18, 2011, 08:10 AM »
i bought a black pair of mickeys last year.they are not the most comfortable boot but are very warm and waterproof.i like if the boot does get wet dump the water out of it maybe wring your sock out and put boot back on and start fishing again.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #101 on: Sep 19, 2011, 07:04 AM »
i bought a black pair of mickeys last year.they are not the most comfortable boot but are very warm and waterproof.i like if the boot does get wet dump the water out of it maybe wring your sock out and put boot back on and start fishing again.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Sep 19, 2011, 08:28 AM »
LaCrosse Ice Kings here and they've held up real well also.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Sep 19, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Muck Boots from Cabelas.  Rated down to -20 F.  Completely warm and dry too!  Only about $80 but well worth it..

icefishingluva  :tipup:
Let's fish it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #104 on: Sep 19, 2011, 03:04 PM »
For the really cold weather I have a pair of Arctic Cat snowmobile boots I've had for twenty five years. They are rated to 100 below. For warmer weather I have a pair of waterproof boots with 1,000 gram Thinsulate.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #105 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:58 PM »
do they still have boots which come with screws already mounted in them? also what's the best socks to wear with your boots as far as being both warm and dry? I have to walk pretty far to get to the lakes I icefish and whether I'm wearing my mickeys or my other cheap ice boots my feet are soaked by the time I get to the water!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:19 PM »
I love my Sorels, very warm.

For socks I wear Wigwam 40 belows.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:28 PM »
what's the best socks to wear with your boots as far as being both warm and dry?

get yourself some smartwool.  lots of different types, pricy but the best for trekkin' and then sittin'.

x2 on the muckboots.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #108 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:40 PM »
For normal winter temps, I wear the Arctic Mucks. But for stupid cold weather, i wear my  Cabelas Trans-Alaska's. Rated to -130 or something stupid like that. As far as screws, I just go to the local hardware or lumber store and buy a box of the smallest sheetmetal screws. Works very well and you can take them out if you're not going to be on the ice for a wile.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Nov 27, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Neos Navigator 5's over my merrill winter mocks. This year i am going to put some sheet metal screws into them so I won't be tempted to buy a set of NEOS Navigator 5 stabil icers. What I wear most of the winter is the merrill Mocs..when I get to the lake slide on the Nav5s and no problems and I have been out at 20 below. Built in gaitors too.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Nov 27, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Baffins.

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #111 on: Nov 27, 2011, 10:11 PM »
cabela predator extreme
 ;D

Offline fishdontbish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:52 PM »
great thread thanks for all the input

Offline Plaidstork44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:56 PM »
muck boots

Offline gillicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Nov 29, 2011, 06:20 AM »
muck boots, Arctic pros. keeps your feet dry and warm .when your fishing in all the slop on top of the ice you get here in western pa

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:24 PM »
I think I answered this question before but here goes.....I went radical. Smartwool socks then merrill winter mocs (comfy,light, and what I wear most of the winter) then when I ice fish on go the NEOS NAVIGATOR 5 OVERSHOES with build in gaitor. This year I added sheet metal screws with shoe glue so I wouldnt be temped to buy the new NEOS NAV 5 with built in Stabilicers. Had them three seasons 100%
I could understand they are not for everyone but they work for me. Maybe 99% since they dont fit in my snowshoe bindings that would have been so nice...
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #116 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:13 PM »
I think I answered this question before but here goes.....I went radical. Smartwool socks then merrill winter mocs (comfy,light, and what I wear most of the winter) then when I ice fish on go the NEOS NAVIGATOR 5 OVERSHOES with build in gaitor. This year I added sheet metal screws with shoe glue so I wouldnt be temped to buy the new NEOS NAV 5 with built in Stabilicers. Had them three seasons 100%
I could understand they are not for everyone but they work for me. Maybe 99% since they dont fit in my snowshoe bindings that would have been so nice...

Are these water proof.  Do they fit snugly over your shoes?
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #117 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Are these water proof.  Do they fit snugly over your shoes?
I use the same thing (Neos overshoes with stabilizers) on the warmer days - work great and yes, they are waterproof and they fit snuggly over by hiking boots.  Colder days see the Cabelas Transalaska III with screws in the soles.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #118 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:48 PM »
I just have a hard time believing they are going to be as good as a real boot.  @ that much money why take the chance.  I already have a pair of pronghorns that are more than enough here in N illinois on cold days and short trips so why not just get a decent pair of boots for longer days and colder.  Also where my waders when it's super sloppy...........
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #119 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:04 PM »
You have to please yourself - no one else.  I wear what works for me and is the most comfortable for the conditions.  I, personally, can not wear a rubber pack boot.  My feet will sweat and get cold!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.