Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: perch  (Read 5448 times)

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
Re: perch
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2010, 02:46 PM »
i don't really think the "weeds" draw em in, but they will hold the fish in the area a little longer...problem with the weeds is that they WILL draw in the bigger predators...ie: muskies, pike, bass...anything looking for a place to ambush what i'm trying to catch (perch, gills, crappies)....to answer some questions...i put em in a "V" with the holes i'm fishing in the middle separated by the weeds on my aqua-vu's camera cable....and the problem with the ones not comercially made is that they are not meant to be frozed and will start "shedding" almost immediately if left out in the cold (at least the ones i made with aquarium plants and/or christmas garland)...i got mine off e-bay for $15 + shipping a couple years ago and added a couple strands last year when ice fishing stuff started getting clearanced at scheels...i'd really LOVE to get 5-10 more strands this year so i can make a bigger weed bed...seems like the closer together you put em' the better they work...hope this helps

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
« Reply #31 on: Feb 19, 2010, 02:50 PM »
i don't really think the "weeds" draw em in, but they will hold the fish in the area a little longer...problem with the weeds is that they WILL draw in the bigger predators...ie: muskies, pike, bass...anything looking for a place to ambush what i'm trying to catch (perch, gills, crappies)....to answer some questions...i put em in a "V" with the holes i'm fishing in the middle separated by the weeds on my aqua-vu's camera cable....and the problem with the ones not comercially made is that they are not meant to be frozed and will start "shedding" almost immediately if left out in the cold (at least the ones i made with aquarium plants and/or christmas garland)...i got mine off e-bay for $15 + shipping a couple years ago and added a couple strands last year when ice fishing stuff started getting clearanced at scheels...i'd really LOVE to get 5-10 more strands this year so i can make a bigger weed bed...seems like the closer together you put em' the better they work...hope this helps

i thought about gettin me some of these but i wondered if when you hooked a fish if they would get tangled or wrapped around the reel weeds, you know how bluegills like to get tangled up in other lines that are down if holes are too close to one another, has this been an issue for you at all  ???

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2010, 02:14 AM »
never had a fish wrap up in the weeds...now the weed covered camera cable...that's a completely different story...i think my ice-out clearance investment of the year needs to be a mo-pod, so i can get the camera a little farther away from the holes i'm fishing and still be able to turn it...anyone got some infor on these???

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:21 PM »
never had a fish wrap up in the weeds...now the weed covered camera cable...that's a completely different story...i think my ice-out clearance investment of the year needs to be a mo-pod, so i can get the camera a little farther away from the holes i'm fishing and still be able to turn it...anyone got some infor on these???

your asking about a mo-pod, just so happens that i have on for sale, like new condition $65.00 let me know my phone number is 641-891-3706 if you would like to talk about it.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 17, 2010, 04:03 AM »
woww thats not bad at all. Last year i fished at silver lake in worth county and really got into perch...biggest one was around twelve inches with a 25inch northern being my biggest and only northern through the ice last year...this year mostly dinks there
Silver lake is always a pretty good bet, lots of small ones, but there are some nice ones in there.

Offline 2percent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2010, 09:09 PM »
 Quote from: bassrat on Feb 12, 2010, 10:47 AM
why don't you just go with me....i've regularly posted open invites to people in the area on here

Wow, let me know when your going. Id love to catch a dozen 13" perch. Thanks

Well, I guess next year then?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.