The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ocean Lake  (Read 7154 times)

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ocean Lake
« Reply #30 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:36 AM »
Do you need A license to catch cradads? might throw a trap in for tomarrow and have a different kinda shore lunch if there is any size to them.

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #31 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Do you need A license to catch cradads? might throw a trap in for tomarrow and have a different kinda shore lunch if there is any size to them.
this is a good question,but saying without the answer,we have trapped crawdads a few times out of Pathfinder and had  crawfish boils through the years.If anyone knows for sure please post.Thankyou
Randy

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #32 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:58 AM »
No, you do not need a license such as a minnow trapping license...provided you are not keeping minnows you inadvertantly trap while chasing the mudbugs Don                   LT/MFF/Iceshnaty Moderator

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Don't forget it is not legal to transport live crawfish.....

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm...that's gonna cause me some legal grief if I get stopped with them cause I cook em to eat and they absolutely must be boiled alive for sanitary health issues... ::)     Don

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Yeah seems like an odd rule.

You can use them for live bait at the location you catch them at.  Provided that you show / tell the warden how you caught them. (by hand, a trap, etc)

Wonder why you can't take them home alive?  If someone wanted to plant crayfish in a body of water they'll do it anyways and probably won't get caught.  Why let everyone else suffer.  
------

I know this much though, baby crayfish make excellent perch bait.  Smaller the better I'm talking half an inch and less.  Nothing beats frozen baby crawdads.  There is a small pond I used to sein them out of.  Plan on doing it this year.  Walleyes like them too.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Okay, on a serious note and not simply to contradict Dorado, maybe there's some common ground here. A couple of years ago, Salmotrutta began trapping crayfish and boiling them (under my guiding hand) so I gave him my traps, since he was toting a few pounds of boiled crawdaddies over to me every few days. I did that only after checking with the wardens and biologists here in Lander. What we were told was that crayfish are not considered minnows/bait nor fish and come neither under trapping or fish laws and that may be taken recreationally to eat or...legally used for bait. There is no law against catching them and transporting them to your domicile alive. There is however, a provision against stocking out-of-state crawfish in private ponds as a CO company did a few years ago, now we have bodies of WY water infested with a CO "rusty?" I think they called it...huge article about it in Wyoming Wildlife. Anyway, a few minutes ago, I was told the same thing by a Warden over at Lander G&F Office...trapping them, transporting alive for recreation/bait use is permitted (WY G&F regs Chapt 52, Section 6) Oh PLEASE...don't stand between me and m' crawdaddies!  ::)    Don
                                                          Don LT   MFF/Iceshanty Moderator

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Yeah seems like an odd rule.
I know this much though, baby crayfish make excellent perch bait.  Nothing beats frozen baby crawdads.  
True, true, absolutely!  ;D

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Maybe they changed that regulation, or it was never official, my appologies for giving you a scare :o

The idea was exactly as you stated LT, to stop the transport of crayfish to bodies of water that do not have them, or introduce new species.  Most of the crayfish in Wyoming are not native, and were brought in as bait.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:11 PM »
Ya, interesting article in Wyoming Wildlife last year Dorado, truth is they all look alike to me but I think it was somewhere over around Cheyenne a rancher had the CO company stock that rusty and it somehow got out and infested other waters.Guess he was un-aware they migrate over land to other waters to reproduce. Thing is those females go into the "berry" state and they carry hundreds of eggs on the underside of the tail. Next year the female young are able to reproduce...wait...you already know this crawdaddie reproducing thing! Thanks Dorado, made for an interesting (and "scary") morning.   Don  

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Ya, interesting article in Wyoming Wildlife last year Dorado, truth is they all look alike to me but I think it was somewhere over around Cheyenne a rancher had the CO company stock that rusty and it somehow got out and infested other waters.Guess he was un-aware they migrate over land to other waters to reproduce. Thing is those females go into the "berry" state and they carry hundreds of eggs on the underside of the tail. Next year the female young are able to reproduce...wait...you already know this crawdaddie reproducing thing! Thanks Dorado, made for an interesting (and "scary") morning.   Don  

I believe that was the ranch I worked on one summer during school. A company from Colorado was bringing in a special hybrid trout for this guy's ponds (the place was ridiculous). They ended up bringing in invasive crayfish as well and the G&F ended up killing off the streams below the ponds. Side note- Those trout were awesome. I'd toss large frogs into the ponds in front of cruising fish and they'd annihilate them like a largemouth bass. It was a phony environment though.

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Fished in the western middle about 20 ftof water. caught 7 perch, 3 crappie and 1 nice walleye, was much better than Saturday. Left early, might have gotten really good. Thanks for the crawdad advice..

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2010, 09:23 PM »
I believe that was the ranch I worked on one summer during school. A company from Colorado was bringing in a special hybrid trout for this guy's ponds (the place was ridiculous).
Nice job Z...frog-feeding the fish  :roflmao: yeah, that seems to be the scenario as I recall, way small world  ::) Funny side note, Little's brother, Biggie, is also a bait dealer. I was over there buying some of those large suckers from him for laker fishing when we first moved to Lander. His son Tom was netting my suckers and loading them into a bucket and I suppose just to make conversation, he pointed to the large ponds on the property and said, "See those ponds, they're infested with big ole crayfish."
I pondered that tad of intel for a moment and then said, "Tom, that's not really all that bad of a thing..." He's been eating them ever since...lots of 'em.     ;)

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Does anyone know how much ice is on Ocean or Boysen. Were thinkin about headin up in the next day or so.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:56 AM »
icefishur.... drilled a couple of holes yesterday on the west side of boysen and it's about 24'' still. however, it's getting that "honneycomb" look to it and the auger went thru it like a hot knife thru soft butter. be carefull out there and i'd advise against driving your truck out there. ocean is about the same. drilled some holes at dickinson park and long point. same type of ice...same senario. good luck out there!!
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Thank you very much wyoming farmer. Were supposed to be heading out today. Good luck

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Just got back from Ocean from 2 days. Ended up with 7 walleyes, 22 perch and 2 ling between 2 of us. might get a pic in a little bit before the knife gets em. The ice is coming up in chunks when you drill so be careful  it wont last much longer.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:26 PM »
How is fishing @ Ocean as spring progresses onward?  Looks like a fun place to fish.  I hope to get up there and hit in the tube sometime this summer. 

Does the ling action slow down in the summer??
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Here is a picture of our catch.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Man I'd kill for a lake near Laramie with little eyes, perch and ling.  (Nothing wrong with eyes that size)
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Hey MJA we went over to the other side and did good on perch and one walleye over there. the word must of got out cause there was lots of other people there too.

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 18, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Nice bunch of fish...... Thanks for all the tips... I'm heading there in about 10 minutes let you know.

Thanks Mike

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #52 on: Mar 18, 2010, 08:14 AM »
WTG,minnowguy.looks like a great  fishing trip to me.
Randy

Offline BSTIME

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I was going to try Long Point on Sunday and Monday. Stop by and say hi. White F350 with pop up camper. Would the other side be better do you think? Are you talking about the East side? Also, is the ice still safe for an ATV? Thanks

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 18, 2010, 12:47 PM »
I was going to try Long Point on Sunday and Monday. Stop by and say hi. White F350 with pop up camper. Would the other side be better do you think? Are you talking about the East side? Also, is the ice still safe for an ATV? Thanks
When I left long point Wed. there was people on both sides. fishing is ok, as for the ice you will have to make your own call, there is a 6 inch wide crack on the north side where we went and the ice is coming out in chucks when drilling.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 18, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Nice catch Marv, sorry I couldn't catch up to ya over there, maybe when Bull ices off. Don  :tipup:

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 19, 2010, 01:09 AM »
Nice catch Marv, sorry I couldn't catch up to ya over there, maybe when Bull ices off. Don  :tipup:
Maybe open water on Ocean instead. I didnt buy a res tag this year Don. You would have got good use out of your camera  I used mine a fair amount, watched an eye attack my jig and got it.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Mar 19, 2010, 01:10 AM »
Hey MJA how did you do on Ocean?

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 19, 2010, 08:21 AM »
For a nasty day did well. 3 nice walleyes 1 over 7# 3 perch 1 big crappie. I,ll post a picture later.

Offline BSTIME

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 19, 2010, 11:06 AM »
For a nasty day did well. 3 nice walleyes 1 over 7# 3 perch 1 big crappie. I,ll post a picture later.
Nice job. How was the ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.