Author Topic: mosquito ice  (Read 8109 times)

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: mosquito ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Anyone fish around the bouy line today? Just wondering how much snow there is and how the paths held up. Not sure if I want to fish the tournament but would like to get out. Thanks

Offline WalleyeHunter66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Fished friday  No Bites about 6 guys out at Bouy line 5 crappie by 2 guys who where there since early morning Long Walk to get there snow makes it a bit diffacult to drag out in wind did not help at all .... Fished the 3rd Bouy only found 8 ft of water out there  Need Deeper Water

Offline Erie Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Memories
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Walleyehunter66

We have not found much deeper water by the bouy line either. Maybe 9 foot. I have Corp maps of the entire lake it it really is a flat with one or two rises  with the creek junctions and the old road bridges. If there were culverts along the road they may still be there.  We usually have to go south of the island and a little  east to pick up deeper water.

More snow right now. Might be aq short walk monday or tuesday for us.

Offline Infidel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Myself and a friend fished Saturday on the north end. We entered the lake from the west causeway parking lot, we carried our shelters and gear across the road over the gaurd rails and down the rocky bank.
 We were greeted by snow drifts and slush on the ice with some firm spots. We went about 400 yards out. We got there at 8 am and fished till 4pm.  We caught 2 - 21" walleye, 1- 15.5" walleye, 2 - 12" crappy, 1 -12" perch, and 8 average crappy.
   My friend got most of the fish, I brought home 5 including the 15.5" walleye.
 A 21" walleye is about twice as big as a 15" ! 
  I say we had a good day.

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 28, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Slow day for us...my brother and I fished 7-7 & ended up w 2eyes and 2 nice crappies. Long cold windy day on the north side with no shanty! Our cousin met us at noon from Columbus and only had 1 bite, hope for better luck tomorrow.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:20 AM »
hit the cemetary at the old road, 2 eyes 16'',an11" crappie & two 5# catfish. the second one straightened my hook at the hole but still able to ice him.returned them all, catfish still a good fight even under the ice!!!    good ice 10",no slush.

Offline WalleyeHunter66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Did anyone make it out today  How was it if ya did Im planning a trip tomorrow Tuesday 

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:53 PM »
going to try it again tomorrow too. haven`t heard anything on today though?

Offline Erie Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Memories
« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Did not hear anything here either. We are planning for Wednesday. I am wondering how much snow is on the ice and in the north lot.  Hope you do alright!!!! ;)

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:46 PM »
drove though the lot at causeway baits sunday,it was fine. the snow where i went out was 3"-7" and kinda sticky. probably be alittle better tomorrow? i`m hopin`!

Offline ditchdigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Buddy and I went out this morning from the baitshop.We walked close to the island.First half the way was easy walking but the second was tough.Lots of slush.Fished all day,very slow,4 crappie,1 perch,and 2 eyes.We didn't mark to many.Talked to others that were out at bouy line,same story,slow.Think I'm gonna hang it up for the year,unless we get some real cold nights to tighten things up.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:34 PM »
south end is alot less slushy.very little to no slush at all! north end was getting pretty sloppy last week,could only imagine now. some open water by bridge and south along causeway to just about the launch.

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Bouy line was pretty slow and sloppy, lots of slush. Fished 12-6 only 5 crappie, no slabs, morning fisherman we talked to didn't have much luck either. Parking lot was fine, but I don't think it's worth it even tho ice is solid under the slush. Might be hanging it up as well, heading to chataqua Saturday for some perch. Keep the posts coming, hopefully it picks up. 

Offline ditchdigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:57 AM »
Lost my spud bar and a rod & reel monday on the ice or in the parking lot.Let me know if anybody finds them ,Thanks. :(

Offline Erie Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Memories
« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Ditchdigger,

What parking lot,,, the bouy line or bait shop?  I am going tomorrow.

I do wish you the best on finding them but I will say I wonder about some people. We were walking out the last time after dark. I was carrying a latern so i could see the path and one buddy got ahead and someone passed me,,,I slow!  His sled tilted in a soft spot and the auger cover fell of  the sled. I know the guys that got in between us picked it up...

Offline ditchdigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 02, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Ditchdigger,

What parking lot,,, the bouy line or bait shop?  I am going tomorrow.

I do wish you the best on finding them but I will say I wonder about some people. We were walking out the last time after dark. I was carrying a latern so i could see the path and one buddy got ahead and someone passed me,,,I slow!  His sled tilted in a soft spot and the auger cover fell of  the sled. I know the guys that got in between us picked it up...

The bait shop parking lot, Thanks

Offline ditchdigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Anybody been out lately by the cemetary.Just wondering how the ice (slush) is? I've never fished there, how far do you have to walk out? I said I was going to hang it up this year after walking in alot of slush on the north end monday but if it is good yet out at the cemetary I may go thursday.Any info would be great!!

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:01 PM »
went out yesterday,ice was still in good shape. no slush at all that i saw. it`s not as far as a walk asit is from bait shop to island,depending on where you end up.i fished the old road that used to cross there.caught two crappie and two cats,the last one took all of 20 minutes to bring up.a very tight fit out a 6" hole!! do well north of cemetary too. fished 24' to about 16' caught most around 20'.hope that helps,probably try sat. if weather holds.

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2010, 10:47 PM »
Fished 100 yds east of third bouy today...skunked for first time this year! Not sure what's up but last few times out it's been real slow. Talked to a few others with little or no luck. Where are all the walleye I was catching two weeks ago? Walk out isn't too bad, going to try again tomorrow maybe for last time. Heading to chataqua Saturday, hope to get into some perch. Good luck to all the diehards!

Offline Erie Tom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Memories
« Reply #49 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:29 AM »
The bait shop parking lot, Thanks

There was only one truck in the bait lot yesterday morning. The  snow was down and the way that our augers were sinking into the snow. The bar would go down fast.

As far as fish we went out of the north lot and fished 3-4 bouy.   I had one eye to the hole and it hit the edge with the lure and got off. We did land six crappie four were 10 to 11 inches. No set lure and did not mark that many since they were really hugging the bottom.

There was only five cars in the north lot.  There was some spots that were sloppy and changing color. With the rain coming monday I think I am done.

Offline theseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:54 PM »
That's too bad to hear about u guys losing gear. It seems that anytime u lose somthing on that lake u may as well kiss it good bye. Last year some guy lost his vex. U know that made someones day! He was even offering a $50 reward. Nothing... There was also a fellow icer that fell thru this year near the causeway. He made it out ok but when he came back for his shanty and gear it was gone.. I guarentee you the person that stole it watched him fall in. It just seems that there are alot of shady people that fish this lake. It's a shame. I was nervous leaving my gear at the boatramp during the tournament meeting. I always double check my gear on the way out and back in.  At least every 50 yds. Tight lines....

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:50 PM »
One nice crappie landed plus I lost one at the hole...fished a bit south of 3rd bouy today. Very slow again, going to try again real early tomorrow just not sure where yet. I'm hoping for one more walleye!  Might be last time out unless ice holds next week, I'll be solo and in full camo if anyone wants to join...Dan

Offline thesmithism

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2010, 11:23 PM »
me cell phone is about third bouy out in 8 ft of water if anybody snags one let me know :) hope everyone had a good season
"The Fish Are Out There"

Offline theseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Budice, i recommend getting off that bouyline and  find deeper water. It's late ice and the crappie are hot. Look for 10-12'. Most of the fish ur gonna catch will be suspended. Last time I was out I fished 11' and was marking the majority of my fish at 4-6'. Very few came thru deeper than that. My buddy caught 19 crappie and a walleye Monday. Ur just fishing too shallow. The tip ups did very well last time I Was out. Just a Lil advice. Hopefully we have ice when I get back home next Monday. U :tipup:

Offline Infidel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 05, 2010, 08:33 AM »
  I plan on being out Saturday at sunrise.  Parking on the west end of the causeway and fishing somewhere between the island and the causeway, way over on the west side of the lake. You will see 6 tips and a big pile of fish. Mike will be with me to show me how he caught the 19 fish.

Offline WalleyeHunter66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 05, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Headed to the Lake Now Report in Later tonight

Offline WalleyeHunter66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Mar 05, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Made it out Ice was good 9 inches fished 16 ft of water and Nothing went out at Cemetery only fished 3 hrs and headed Home alot of guys on the ice today at the Causeway  Hope some post HOW THEY DID ... Niles Sports Show Tomorrow 

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 05, 2010, 09:51 PM »
Fished north side again...5 crappies early then nothing for like 5 hrs. At 130 I said I  would leave at 230 if no other bites, kind of dozed off on my bucket and woke up to my ultralight jig pole hitting the ice. Was lucky enough to haul in a very healthy 20 inch walleye at 220! Stuck it out till 430 but no other bites. Meeting buddies at 330am for a road trip to chataqua for the day. Hope to get back out Sunday. I have a feeling the fishing will be turning around this weekend. Good luck to all tomorrow...

Offline WalleyeHunter66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Mar 07, 2010, 01:22 PM »
hows the ice gonna be for monday anyone know

Offline ditchdigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:16 PM »
hows the ice gonna be for monday anyone know

Don't know about monday,but sat. the ice was in good shape (out from the bait shop towards island).The slush from earlier in the week firmed up with the cold nights.Not much snow left.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.