Author Topic: biggest perch  (Read 12844 times)

Offline flag..up!

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: biggest perch
« Reply #60 on: Feb 28, 2010, 07:06 PM »
my biggest perch was 15.5 inches. caught it in lake independence big bay

Offline Mudpout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:56 PM »
"i have to agree and disagree. genetics has a part to do with the growth of the fish but there are also other reasons why a fish grows that size. the body of water, how plentiful the bait is, what type of bait is in the water, and how plentiful are the predator fish. perch lay 10,000 to 40,000 eggs a year thats based on a average 8 inch perch so i would think a couple slobs would be coming out of that batch. its kind of like saying your basing our obesity problem in the states on genetics alone dosnt make any sense"

That's kind of a ridiculous rebuttal?  Obviously a fish with trophy potential wont grow into a monster in a sterile lake?  Put it this way, isolate a population, for simplicity we will use humans.   Take whatever, 100 000 people and let them evolve, but as soon as some one reaches 6ft tall, take them out.   How long until your population stops producing six footers? 

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:51 PM »
O.M.G  ! calm down...  offensive? LOL..  before you open your big mouth, do a bit of research....   and also all I'm saying is take the eaters. the big slobs have egg mass , not as much meat as one would think...so practice .. CPR   p.s. i don't have to take a course,  i teach one.
    "eaters" if its a perch and big enough to fillet they r all eaters,  8in through whatever i dont care if it a record, its going to be a record in my belly, yum

Offline ROCKEN ROB

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH LIKE EVERYDAY IS YOUR LAST
« Reply #63 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:25 PM »
wow nice fish never would belive it if i hadnt seen it

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #64 on: Mar 03, 2010, 10:47 PM »
O.M.G  ! calm down...  offensive? LOL..  before you open your big mouth, do a bit of research....   and also all I'm saying is take the eaters. the big slobs have egg mass , not as much meat as one would think...so practice .. CPR   p.s. i don't have to take a course,  i teach one.
Here we go again!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline jeffd7766

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:07 AM »
"i have to agree and disagree. genetics has a part to do with the growth of the fish but there are also other reasons why a fish grows that size. the body of water, how plentiful the bait is, what type of bait is in the water, and how plentiful are the predator fish. perch lay 10,000 to 40,000 eggs a year thats based on a average 8 inch perch so i would think a couple slobs would be coming out of that batch. its kind of like saying your basing our obesity problem in the states on genetics alone dosnt make any sense"

That's kind of a ridiculous rebuttal?  Obviously a fish with trophy potential wont grow into a monster in a sterile lake?  Put it this way, isolate a population, for simplicity we will use humans.   Take whatever, 100 000 people and let them evolve, but as soon as some one reaches 6ft tall, take them out.   How long until your population stops producing six footers? 

the only BIG problem with that theory is that fish continue to grow throughout most of their life.  if they have the genetics to be a trophy fish, then those genetics will shine through as soon as it can start reproducing. The reason i will agree with letting some big ones go is due to the sheer volume of eggs that they can produce. So yes genetics do have a part in trophy fish but trophy fish were small at one point. I guess if you look at it that way you might as well not keep any? Fish will not evolve to grow smaller due to the fact that people have been keeping the big ones. Do you think in the old days the big fish were let go? No they were used to feed families.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:02 AM »
here is my biggest, 12.5in caught and released!

Offline ToothyFishFanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GET THE GAFF!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: Mar 04, 2010, 02:28 PM »
gotta love teh footballs :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.