The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Which flasher should I purchase?  (Read 7194 times)

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Which flasher should I purchase?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:25 PM »
I purchased a Lowrance X67C Ice Machine from Bass Pro back earlier this month on clearance for CHEAP!!!!  I used it for the first time last Saturday.....man is it cool!  I love the flasher mode with bottom zoom.   worked perfectly and really helped me watch out for those slight biters that I definitely would not have even noticed without it!

Offline smitty185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Looking to get a flasher this season.  After doing some research and talking to other anglers I am aiming towards the vexilar FL-18 (pro-pack II?).  I know there is some variations of this model (Genz pack, etc.)  I mainly fish for Walleye/perch and want to have a well rounded model so that I can fish both deep water (Muskegon Lake, Higgins, Sag.Bay) but something I can use in shallower lakes as well.  Any feedback would be appreciated!

A flasher is an excellent tool to help you catch fish through the ice.  I started out a few years ago with a Clearwater Classic (black and white LCD) - still use it and it still helps me catch fish!  Last year, I picked up a Marcum LX-5 and that baby is SWEEET!  Do I catch more fish with the Marcum vs the old crust Clearwater?  Not really - just have a bit more fun. For what you're looking to fish for, you'd be fine with either a Vex or a Marcum.  One thing to note, though, is that the Marcum's 'zoom' window is adjustable anywhere along the water column.  If you're fishing deep water and looking to zoom into suspended fish, you're better off with the Marcum (IMO).

Offline thedude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • where's the sun?
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:52 PM »
a Lowrance x67c.

half the price, twice as versatile, 100% as effective as ANY flasher.

Offline FISHNFIREMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Any flasher is better than no flasher. I've only used Vexilar, never seen a Marcum in action. Just recently purchased FL-20 Ultra Pack and love it. Just my humble opinion.

Offline gillhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2009, 03:43 PM »
I bought my Vex fl-8 the 2nd year they were made and it still works fine.

Me 2.........lookin at getting the 18 for the wife..

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 27, 2009, 04:20 PM »
I have an 8se Genz and 20 Ultra Vex.  Both work well.  I hear very good things about the Marcums also.  If I were in the market for another flasher, I would have to take a serious look at the LX5.

-Jeff

Offline PACKMAN241982

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THE BEERS SLUSHY GET A STRAW! FLATLANDER
« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2009, 04:28 PM »
this will be my third season with my fl-20 and i abosolutelt love it, in fact i may try to marry it seeings as it earned me a divorce. but what the hell i got a good hippy woman now that loves to ice fish. i have seen a few flashers but im partial to the vexilars because thats what i have. i may not have helped you on your decision
tight lines and high flags
packman
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!

Offline runswithdeer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2009, 04:51 PM »
My Vexilar died late last year when it bounced out the back of the 4 wheeler.  Bought a new Marcum LX5, only used it once, but it seemed to be pretty sweet. 
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..."

Offline gillhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I have an fl18, but I have used an X67c, lx3 and lx5. Of them all the lx5 is my favorite. But the X67c had the longest battery life. No matter what you get you will wonder how you lived without it.

I've heard the Vex cluters the screen on Lorances when operating in close proximity. 

Offline thedude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • where's the sun?
« Reply #39 on: Dec 27, 2009, 06:36 PM »
i've not had that problem with my x67 - fishing within feet of a vex and marcum at the same time.

Offline 2_BIG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:05 PM »
I have a Humminbird ICE-55 and love it. It has all the features of the top level Vex and Marcum but I like the big display and digital LCD depth readout. Really I think you can't go wrong it just breaks down to personal preference.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #41 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Only if you don't have a clue how to operate the Lowrance.

I've heard the Vex cluters the screen on Lorances when operating in close proximity. 
Bruster

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #42 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:11 PM »
i have a fl-18 whith the soft pack and the flash light it really comes in handy when night fishing and m buddy has the fl-20 and his is all beat up from riding in has sled the screen is all scrached up but you can get the mag shield for the 18 and when it gets scrached up toss it and by another i have had mine for 3 year and it still look and works like the day i got it
FISH ON

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 27, 2009, 09:38 PM »
I have a FL-8 that is 14 years old now it still works. That thing has been trough hell. It is now my backup. Last year I went with Marcum a LX-5. I think you really can't go wrong with a Marcum or a Vexilar. The are both great products. I think a major thing would be turn around time if mid season repairs needed. Not sure whose is better.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #44 on: Dec 27, 2009, 09:51 PM »
bla bla bla...ignore everyone else...get a vex and youll never regret it. Trust me there worth every penny...
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #45 on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:15 PM »
You are gonna always have people saying marcum, x-67. Go with the one thats been around the longest. Vexilar. I fell thru the ice last year and my vex was in the water for 25 hours. went back and got it out dryed it for 24 hours in rice and it works like a charm. I have the fl-18 and love it. Stick with the best vexilar. My buddy just sold his marcum and bought the fl-20 and its awesome. jmo

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:40 AM »
bla bla bla...ignore everyone else...get a vex and youll never regret it. Trust me there worth every penny...
Agreed!!!

Offline thedude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • where's the sun?
« Reply #47 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:40 AM »

500$ for a fl20 vs. 220$ for an x67. if you sink it (it is waterproof) and it goes bad, just buy another and you're still money ahead. sometimes i think people just say a vex is better because they already dropped a small fortune on one and don't want to feel like they got ripped off. They are pretty good for icefishing, but they don't give you 1/4 of the information that the x67 or any of the other lcd finders do and they are useless on a boat or  canoe the 8 or 9 months out of the year when there's no ice... just food for thought.

Offline TeamDonut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Liven the Dream
« Reply #48 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:49 AM »
I've never used any other than my fl-18.  Love it also use it perch fishing on Lk. Michigan.

Offline diddlepole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:57 AM »

500$ for a fl20 vs. 220$ for an x67. if you sink it (it is waterproof) and it goes bad, just buy another and you're still money ahead. sometimes i think people just say a vex is better because they already dropped a small fortune on one and don't want to feel like they got ripped off. They are pretty good for icefishing, but they don't give you 1/4 of the information that the x67 or any of the other lcd finders do and they are useless on a boat or  canoe the 8 or 9 months out of the year when there's no ice... just food for thought.

No, I dont feel that way at all about my Vex.  They are the best unit.  Period.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:00 AM »
You see the Vex and Marcum's advertised everywhere. You never see the Lowrance advertised and they were sold out for the season mid December. I guess this says something.
Another thing I don't understand with a flasher is why you would ever want to translate the flashing lights to useful information, when with a graph you can look at the water column just as it is, top to bottom, just like a picture.

500$ for a fl20 vs. 220$ for an x67. if you sink it (it is waterproof) and it goes bad, just buy another and you're still money ahead. sometimes i think people just say a vex is better because they already dropped a small fortune on one and don't want to feel like they got ripped off. They are pretty good for icefishing, but they don't give you 1/4 of the information that the x67 or any of the other lcd finders do and they are useless on a boat or  canoe the 8 or 9 months out of the year when there's no ice... just food for thought.
Bruster

Offline Fabner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:44 AM »
I like my Vex FL 8 se that I got new three years ago on clearance for $170, but I don't know any better because I never used anything else.  Neat seeing that wide red band both your jig and the fish down there.  I hope to see someone with a Marcum sometime on the ice so I can get a feeling for any differences. ???
Gopher Everett?

We thought you was a toad.

A man ain't no kind of man unless he's got land.

We've got to R-U-N-N-O-F-T

Loved Up,  Almost

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #52 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:58 AM »
the x67c would be ok if your going to be in a shanty most of the time but i don't see them in the snow or rain it just seems like a poor setup and sometimes having a hole lot of different settings and buttons is not a good thing more to go wrong and it has not been out long enuff to work out all the flaws never buy something when it first comes out
FISH ON

Offline thedude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • where's the sun?
« Reply #53 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:28 AM »
the only bad thing about the setup on the lowrance is the the transducer holder. spend a 1.50$ on 8" of pipe insulation and that is fixed. As for snow/rain as long as you don't face it directly into the wind, it won't even get wet and if it does get wet, just wipe it off.  There's not much in the way of settings to tweak or buttons to push. Set the ping speed on high, turn off fish ID and auto-depth. That's a 1 time thing. After that you turn it on and adjust the sensitivity and depth - just like a vex. Battery life is outstanding.. i might fish a total of 12-15 hrs a week during the peak of the season... i might charge the thing every other week... and even then the battery isn't dead. I bet its still got enough juice from last year in it.

as for the graph itself - its so much easier to see whats going on... plus you get 5-10 seconds of history which is nice if a fish skirts the edge of the sonar cone and you're looking for another beer or the bait or something.  I can also look at it and judge pretty accurately how big a school of fish is, how tightly they are packed together. Its super easy to see a fish move up through the school from bottom to top to check out your bait - and similar its easy to see fish move down through the school because they don't like the presentation or they got spooked off. It also does a pretty good job of finding fish that are sitting directly on the bottom. When i look at a flasher all i see is blinky lights. They were tops when an lcd couldn't do real-time graphing, but the technology has been there for some time now. It just doesn't make any sense to spend that kind of coin on obsolete technology. If they were 100$ it'd be a different story.  If you're dead set on blowing 400-500 bucks get a big lcd with gps builtin too!

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #54 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:39 AM »

Like I said in my last post. There is always a few. There is a reason why they are 1/2 the price of a vex. THEY SUCK. Ive used them before and was not impressed. Now on my charter boat I have a lowrance and love it. But that is summer this is winter. Bottom line any flasher will help alot. All this is about is dependability. My vex has never let me down. Period.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Apparently you have no clue as to how large Lowrance Electronics is and how long they have been making fish finders and a host of other aviation/marine/gps/fishing electronice.

This should give you a "heads up" about Lowrance: http://www.lowrance.com/en/About/History/

the x67c would be ok if your going to be in a shanty most of the time but i don't see them in the snow or rain it just seems like a poor setup and sometimes having a hole lot of different settings and buttons is not a good thing more to go wrong and it has not been out long enuff to work out all the flaws never buy something when it first comes out
Bruster

Offline thedude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • where's the sun?
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:58 AM »
they are half the price of a vex because a vex is about 300$ overpriced. Price of the x67c is inline with any other lcd sonar for hard or softwater- like the same ones you have on your charter boat.  I've used a vex a bunch of times - and they don't suck, they are high quality and show you the fish. I just don't understand why everyone is so much in love with them - they are darn near impossible to comprehend as a first time user, they don't show you a quarter of the information that an lcd does and god forbid you turn on the split view if you are prone to epileptic seizures.....  but at least you don't need to hum to yourself to keep your mind occupied, the vex will do that for you.  :)

Offline FishMich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:34 AM »

and they are useless on a boat or  canoe the 8 or 9 months out of the year when there's no ice... just food for thought.

I have a high speed transducer for my vex, and it is always on my boat during open water. The flasher is real time and makes it easier to find
dropoffs and stucture precisly, right when your over it. While the graph has a delay and shows what you went over after you have passed it.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:47 AM »

Where do you come up with this nonsence? They are both real time.

I have a high speed transducer for my vex, and it is always on my boat during open water. The flasher is real time and makes it easier to find
dropoffs and stucture precisly, right when your over it. While the graph has a delay and shows what you went over after you have passed it.

Bruster

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #59 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Apparently you have no clue as to how large Lowrance Electronics is and how long they have been making fish finders and a host of other aviation/marine/gps/fishing electronice.

This should give you a "heads up" about Lowrance: http://www.lowrance.com/en/About/History/

They havnt been making ice fishing flasher for that long Thats all we are sayin. Wow there is always 1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.