Author Topic: Southern NH Ice Report  (Read 13143 times)

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
Re: Southern NH Ice Report
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:15 AM »
Otternic and Robinson in Hudson both have skimmed over with any luck they'll be ready soon
Round pond and Mill pond in Nashua are also skimmed
Will be checking Melendy and Potanipo today
I have the itch BAD
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline NHIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:13 AM »
I checked the ice at Silver Lake in Hollis NH last night, still only 1" or less, edges are still too thin.  I'll check more tonight and report back, I do think with these temps the next 2 days we shall see fishable Ice by Sat/Sun at the latest, Crossing my fingers!

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Phillips looked like it was thicknin.

Offline Colli2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Any places in southern part of the state skimmed over yet?  There is a pond on the Nh /Mass border exit 35 of rte 3 that has 2 or 3 in of white ice on it but checked Cobbetts and my honey hole friday and there was nothing at all.  Any info would be great!!!!  Thanks and be safe...  shaun
I'd give it one more week guys. Better to be safe than sorry. The larger ponds near me just iced completely over earlier this week. With the cold temps scheduled for the coming week, next weekend should be pretty safe but I think this week is a bit chancy.

Offline JimB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone thinking
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Went by Freeman pond aka Newfield in Chelmsford was about 95% frozen.Some good bass,perch,pickerel.Also went by Long sought for pond in Westford was about 80% frozen,some nice rainbows in there also nice bass, perch,pics.These are a little better to fish than Flint pond.Just my opinion. 

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Checked out my honey hole out in pelham and it was 100% frozen about 1.5/ 2in of black ice.  Should be ready by sat or sun.  Hope to hit it soon....

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:55 PM »
island pond? Good place for bass and stuff
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:31 PM »
I'd give it one more week guys. Better to be safe than sorry. The larger ponds near me just iced completely over earlier this week. With the cold temps scheduled for the coming week, next weekend should be pretty safe but I think this week is a bit chancy.

I agree, To each his own...But...Fishing on 1-2" of ice is pretty sketchy...unless your fishing over shallow water? 1-2" doesn't leave much of margin for thickness variation...It will be cold the next couple nights and throughout next week but Keep in mind water temps are still on the warmers side with many larger lakes still open.. Two nights of cold most likely won't produce 2-3" of new ice....So unless you're heading north where there's thicker ice...Be Careful on the southern ponds....Dont want to hear of anyone taking a swim... ??? Just my $0.02 

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2009, 05:40 PM »
not sure if barrington is considered southern nh, but i figured i'd post anyway...might help get you guys on the ice!  north end of ayers had 1 to 2 inches of black ice and a little bit of white on top at noon today.  i'm thinking it should be good for saturday  ;D ;D

little long pond (north of ayers) had 3+ inches of black ice.  fished it for 2 hrs tonight for the first time ever.  2 flags - small larry and a yellow perchie - and jigged a decent slab.  had a few more sightings on the flasher but couldn't get them to bite.

was COLD out there!!!!

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:35 PM »

The pond still exists and i was going to check it friday to see if it was safe for fishing,  i drive by it everyday and it has had ice on it for at least a week.  I have only seen one group ever fish there, is it just pickerel in there?

matt (merrimack grad '01)

I have only caught pickerel in there.  It has been a long time, I suppose some bucket bios could have put anything in there by now. 

I grew up on Baboosic Lake at Four Seasons.

~Jeff

timberdoodle

« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:57 AM »
With the temps the way they are right now...ponds should be making about an inch per 24 hours, if the charts are right. As the thickness grows the formation slows though....but up to about 6 inches it should be an inch a day with an average temp of 15 degrees.

Offline ErikR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:05 AM »
The temperature here in Keene this morning was -5 degrees earlier this morning, right now (7:55 am)  I am reading -2 degrees
 I checked the Ice at a small local pond this morning it had about 5 inch's of ice several careful steps from shore

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:04 AM »
Checked out Robinson's Pond in Hudson this morning.  It had about 3" of ice close to shore and about 1.5" on the rest of the pond.  As long as we dont get whacked with any snow, it should be locked up pretty tight by the end of the weekend.
A mans Shanty is his Castle

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:08 PM »
lincoln pond in amherst had 2.5 this morning
baboosic lake had just under 3 about 40' out, one very small open spot towards the middle this morning
honey pot pond in amherst 4" about 40' out this afternoon
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2009, 03:36 PM »
phillips is sketchy on the edges.......at the launch site it was wide open on the edge.....couldn't walk out.....i am waiting another week.....i know there are places i can fish, but i have been patient these last few years......i guess i will wait.....
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2009, 03:59 PM »
went out today to halfmoon pond in washington to try out the flasher measured 6inches of ice, everythings pretty much locked up tight over my way

catch pike like its my job

Offline NHIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Great, HoneyPot is just down the road from here in Hollis and is nice and small, so 4" seems right.  Silver lake here in Hollis has 3", edges are thin and black with some open water, but I was out 40' frmo shore and it was 3" solid ice with the 3 test holes I did on the way out there.  slowly albeit....

I bet by tomorrow it will be 4" but Im not sure I'm going far from the shore. If we get Snow sat night, its gonna suck.  Hope it stays south as they are expecting...

Great thread everyone, keep those reports coming thru the weekend and we will all be fishing down here in Southern NH by the holiday

lincoln pond in amherst had 2.5 this morning
baboosic lake had just under 3 about 40' out, one very small open spot towards the middle this morning
honey pot pond in amherst 4" about 40' out this afternoon

Offline NH Fishin Fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:42 PM »
phillips is sketchy on the edges.......at the launch site it was wide open on the edge.....couldn't walk out.....i am waiting another week.....i know there are places i can fish, but i have been patient these last few years......i guess i will wait.....

I'm with you jibbs, better to be safe than sorry........and all wet  :o

Offline Colli2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Any places in southern part of the state skimmed over yet?  There is a pond on the Nh /Mass border exit 35 of rte 3 that has 2 or 3 in of white ice on it but checked Cobbetts and my honey hole friday and there was nothing at all.  Any info would be great!!!!  Thanks and be safe...  shaun
The hinsdale set-back is frozen over and a few folks were fishing it today.

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Any buddy checked Cobbetts or Canobie in the last day or 2?  Thanks

Offline ErikR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Wilson Pond Swanzey New Hampshire 12/19/09 12:10pm 4" to 6" of ice

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Went to Cobbetts this afternoon and fished the beach 4 some bows but didnt get a flag.  About 3-4in about 50-60yds out.  Nice clean ice!!! I was there thursday at noon and  it was open water and now the whole places is locked up.  Dont no the ice conditions farther out but should be good to go by next weekend at the latest.  Hope this helps!!!  Shaun

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Went to Cobbetts this afternoon and fished the beach 4 some bows but didnt get a flag.  About 3-4in about 50-60yds out.  Nice clean ice!!! I was there thursday at noon and  it was open water and now the whole places is locked up.  Dont no the ice conditions farther out but should be good to go by next weekend at the latest.  Hope this helps!!!  Shaun
Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to getting back on my favorite pond!

Offline NHIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 20, 2009, 07:54 AM »
Silver lake in Hollis NH is all locked up and 4-5" of solid Ice. I didn't fish but we did play hockey with the kids and get a nice fire going out there yesterday for warming the cold hands.   THe ice is here, now if the snow simply stays away until it's nice and thick....its barely snowing out there, I hope we get less than a dusting!

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 21, 2009, 02:33 PM »
Any reports on Cobbetts or Canobie?  Thanks   Shaun

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 21, 2009, 02:38 PM »
Any reports on Cobbetts or Canobie?  Thanks   Shaun
I am going to fish there on Wednesday morning.  I'll let you know.

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I am going to fish there on Wednesday morning.  I'll let you know.
U going to cobbetts wed morning? If so let me no i may take a halfday and head over there.  Thanks  shaun

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #57 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Gonna give cobbetts a wirl tomorrow.

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Gonna give cobbetts a wirl tomorrow.
Let us no the conditions and how u did.  Good luck!!!!

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:34 PM »
Gonna head out for the first trip of the year tommorow dont know where yet lol but am thinking about Tamworth area I think I want to try out some trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.