The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: healy walleye?  (Read 7950 times)

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: healy walleye?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:52 PM »
The best thing to do then would be to ask for a slot limit or just a small limit but that would be asking a lot  also. If at least a few people release the eyes that would be better than none.

Offline Wyohomeboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:08 PM »
From my conversation with the G&F biologist, I don't think they put very many walleyes in Healy - he indicated that putting fry in would be useless due to the number of stunted perch - we did discuss perch size, and his opinion was that they had overpopulated the lake and were stunted, they were not small due to fisherman keeping all the big ones!!! 

With there being so many stunted perch for food, and only a minimum number of walleyes in the lake, I don't think the chances of anyone catching one are very good - I would recommend releasing one if someone did catch one, but I just don't think we are going to have much of a walleye population in there for a while.

I also discussed the likelihood of a successful walleye spawn in Healy with the biologist, and he indicated that the chances weren't very good, as most of the lake has a pretty silty bottom, and they need clean gravel to spawn successfully on, plus some good wave action to add oxygen.  Desmet has good walleye spawning area's, but Healy really doesn't, plus you have all the stunted perch that would decimate the walleye fry population.  Only time will tell, but I don't think fishermen are going to have that big of an impact on the walleye population in Healy - I don't think the G&F netting of walleye in Desmet impacted their population much either - mother nature will decide ;)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:24 PM »
From my conversation with the G&F biologist, I don't think they put very many walleyes in Healy - he indicated that putting fry in would be useless due to the number of stunted perch - we did discuss perch size, and his opinion was that they had overpopulated the lake and were stunted, they were not small due to fisherman keeping all the big ones!!! 

With there being so many stunted perch for food, and only a minimum number of walleyes in the lake, I don't think the chances of anyone catching one are very good - I would recommend releasing one if someone did catch one, but I just don't think we are going to have much of a walleye population in there for a while.

I also discussed the likelihood of a successful walleye spawn in Healy with the biologist, and he indicated that the chances weren't very good, as most of the lake has a pretty silty bottom, and they need clean gravel to spawn successfully on, plus some good wave action to add oxygen.  Desmet has good walleye spawning area's, but Healy really doesn't, plus you have all the stunted perch that would decimate the walleye fry population.  Only time will tell, but I don't think fishermen are going to have that big of an impact on the walleye population in Healy - I don't think the G&F netting of walleye in Desmet impacted their population much either - mother nature will decide ;)
How about a few IS "Get Together" trips to Healy where we compete to see who gets there 50 perch first! LOL

Seriously, if a number of us meet there and bring families/kids we could all have a great day helping kids pull perch out of an icehole and put a small dent into the population. Drinks, lunch etc. Could be a great day for all.  :tipup:

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:22 PM »
How bout the G&F quit netting the walleye in Desmet...Hey ,theres a novel thought!!! :clap:

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:35 PM »
How bout the G&F quit netting the walleye in Desmet...Hey ,theres a novel thought!!! :clap:

Thats what I was thinking!! Since the walleye are in there to stay, with no hope of ever getting them out, then why are we wasting money netting them?   :cookoo:

Keep calm and return fire...

Offline bull perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2009, 11:28 PM »
 i heard the g@f was also eating the walleye they neted as opose to relocating them to healy

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2009, 11:59 PM »
How about a few IS "Get Together" trips to Healy where we compete to see who gets there 50 perch first! LOL

Seriously, if a number of us meet there and bring families/kids we could all have a great day helping kids pull perch out of an icehole and put a small dent into the population. Drinks, lunch etc. Could be a great day for all.  :tipup:
That sounds like a great idea, and through in a couple deep fryers and eat as you go. Of course you still could only catch 50 at a time. I think I will load the grandkids up and bring them over sometime soon.

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:24 PM »
The G & F is not doing gill netting in Desmet to eliminate or limit the number of walleyes in there.  They gil netting is for fish research, surveying, to check/monitor populations, etc.  All that data is put in a data base and is used to dictate stocking procedures, limits, etc.  Lakes cannot be surveyed efficiently anyother way.  Rivers and streams are usulally shocked so there is no fish death but that is not possible in lakes.  Regardless the number of fish they are killing is insignificant to total populations.  They don't kill fish that are still alive in the nets, they are either released or transplanted as in the case of Healy.  They try not to waste the fish that die in the nets, perk of the job maybe, but those guys deserve it, they don't get paid much. 
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Welcome to the shanty bull perch, how big do the perch average in healy now.

Healy Perch now average about the size of a Rapala maybe 5-6inches if you're lucky the last time I went.
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:40 PM »
 WYGF isn't putting walleye into healey.Anything you put into healey has the potential to get into desmet and vice versa.Not to mention wygf has been grooming healey as a trophy trout fishery for the last dozen years or so.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:59 PM »
I've yet to catch a trout there. And with DeSmet just up the road, why make Healy a "Trophy Trout" water?

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:18 PM »
I think that they gave up on Healy once the Perch got established in there. There was a day that you would catch 5-8lb Bows out of there every day you went. You would get the Vex all lit up with perch and here would come one big Blip on the Radar and scare all of the Perch off. The last Bow that I caught out of Healy was 20" long and very Skinny.
Muddy Guard 1 is your best bet for Trophy Trout. Or the Multiple Private Bonds around Buffalo. :whistle:

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:43 AM »
Not sure how Healy & DeSmet would "share" fish unless they are transported by humans -- perhaps I'm missing something.  ???

Using this line of reasoning, it wouldn't be safe to stock any species in any lake within several hundred miles of either Healy or DeSmet.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:46 AM »
I think that they gave up on Healy once the Perch got established in there. There was a day that you would catch 5-8lb Bows out of there every day you went. You would get the Vex all lit up with perch and here would come one big Blip on the Radar and scare all of the Perch off. The last Bow that I caught out of Healy was 20" long and very Skinny.
Muddy Guard 1 is your best bet for Trophy Trout. Or the Multiple Private Bonds around Buffalo. :whistle:

Exactly couldn't agree more. I haven't got a trout outta there for at least 3 or 4 years. It seems that as soon as your hook hits the water you got one of those bait-sized perch on your hook.

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Not sure how Healy & DeSmet would "share" fish unless they are transported by humans -- perhaps I'm missing something.  ???

Using this line of reasoning, it wouldn't be safe to stock any species in any lake within several hundred miles of either Healy or DeSmet.

That confused me too. I believe that Healy is fed by Clear Creek and Lake DeSmet's nearest running water is Piney Creek.

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:25 PM »
That confused me too. I believe that Healy is fed by Clear Creek and Lake DeSmet's nearest running water is Piney Creek.
[/q
uote] there are still olot of nice trout in there guys Bull perch and i have cought some browns, rainbows,cuts and even some splake. Try fishin in 8to13 fow with a bigger swedish pimple my 2yr old waxed a 3.5 pounder yesterday on the north end , also try the neck by the pupm house wich brings me to my next point that pump house feeds water to desmet thats how the fish get from one to the other.
If you are going to cry be quick about it. Then get back to fishing.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:17 PM »
There is a pipe that runs between both lakes built back in the late 80's to store water and pull it back to desmet. They were going to use the water for coal gasification but it went broke early. It was put in about the same time the water leave was raise on desmet and the perch fishing went down hill.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:07 AM »
There is a pipe that runs between both lakes built back in the late 80's to store water and pull it back to desmet. They were going to use the water for coal gasification but it went broke early. It was put in about the same time the water leave was raise on desmet and the perch fishing went down hill.

SHHHH,I was getting all learned up here on the make up of healy and DeSmet,by all the transplants who haven't the slightest clue about the area.

Like it or not Healy is a trout fishery and it's going to continue to be managed as such.WYGF is not going to release walleye in healy. While they try to eradicate walleye in a connected body of water 5 miles away.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Thanks appleye & jiga_guppy!  There's even more I'd love to know about the transfer of water from Healy to DeSmet.  Like, if the pipeline was originally developed to service the methane industry, but it didn't work out, is the system still active, and to what purpose?  It sounds like quite a project. 

(This from a @&!!XX-ing transplant who hasn't lived here long enough to know everything about everything. . .gosh how I envy those who do. . .)  ::)
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Thanks appleye & jiga_guppy!  There's even more I'd love to know about the transfer of water from Healy to DeSmet.  Like, if the pipeline was originally developed to service the methane industry, but it didn't work out, is the system still active, and to what purpose?  It sounds like quite a project. 

(This from a @&!!XX-ing transplant who hasn't lived here long enough to know everything about everything. . .gosh how I envy those who do. . .)  ::)

Same here cept I've lived here all my life. There's alot of hooey that goes on around here with various things. Personally I think Lake DeSmet should be a trophy walleye fishery!!

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:52 PM »
I agree that DeSmet should be recognized as a walleye fishery seeing how the Game and Fish will never get them out of there. I have lived here my whole life as well, and there is a lot of hooey that goes on here, but I have talked with 5 different G&F that have all said that walleye have been placed in Healy.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:05 PM »
yeah..what sledder said..there aren't any walleye in Healy..So Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... ;D

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline bull perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:05 PM »
if your so into pike drive east to keyhole

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:46 AM »
 I've talked to two seperate WYGF fisheries biologists here in sheridan about releasing walleye in Healy.Both responded the same,"Healy has never had walleye legally released into its water.Any presence of walleye in healy was done so outside of the department and illegaly,as is the case with walleye illegaly introduced into desmet"."We're trying to eradicate the few walleye that have spread in desmet.With Healy having a direct water link with desmet,wygf has no interest in placing walleye in healey where they could cross populate another body of water,especially since both bodies of water are managed as trout fisheries".

So please continue with the wet dreams of walleye in Healey.Next there'll be shark attacks on healey.

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:26 AM »
People are going to belive what they want no matter what is said so fighting and dissagreements will take place here with sledders catchy little comments to try to discourage peole from fishing for walleyes in healy is pointless. Sledder says there are no eyes there there must not be. The fish that I seen on the aqua view must have been a deformed perch with big teeth

Offline Wyohomeboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2010, 01:30 PM »
There aren't going to enough walleye in Healy to worry about for quite some time, so they aren't worth worrying about.  I do wish they would find some muskies to plant in there though! ;)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2010, 01:31 PM »
... so fighting and dissagreements will take place here...
Aaaah no...maybe on some other Moderator's site, but not mine, long as it's just differences of opinion, no problem, if this escalates and turns abusive, I'll lock the thread.   Tight lines       Don
                                                             LT/MFF/Iceshanty Moderator  ;) :tipup:

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2010, 08:02 PM »
 sorry LT I should have worded that differntly. Didnt mean fighting just disagreements. I will try to word my posts better

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Not a problem, we have all learned a lot here from vigorous debates, heck, I even know the cutoff date for the Iceshanty Tourney now  :roflmao: :icefish:    Don LT/MFF/Iceshanty Moderator

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Couple of other forums I frequent use temporary bans for certain infractions, most are incurred at a 10% and 3 day ban. Hit it again and it's a week. Third time a month and if you breach 100% in a rolling 12 month block, PERMA BAN!!!!!  :tipup:

Locking threads only keep others from being civil within them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.