The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Lets Clear the Air... New Jiffys  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lets Clear the Air... New Jiffys
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:20 AM »
I've seen the mention of the Charlotte number but I believe this is the number that I called and was simply an automated dealer locator.  Not to run off topic I started another thread on this subject.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:12 PM »
I take that as:  Starts good runs good, just noisy gearcase?

Mine makes a cyclical choo--choo--choo whine noise as the cutter spins, but again it's not concerning me.   Starts, runs, cuts like a bastage... 
First it sounded like gear teeth POPPING, like gear teeth actually breakiing or cracking metal against metal, after a couple minutes that quit but the auger had about a 30 degree arc when turning that it sounded like the larger gear was rubbing the housing inside. Rubbing like eating plastic with a metal gear.  Either way, for my money and a new unit, and jiffy knowing in advance I was going to write an honest review, see review, I am not happy at all. Getting my money back from UPS is now more important than having a jiffy 3500 series STX PRO II. Maybe I will change brands, or just use my old model 30 until it dies.
We get no quality or customer service today like we did years ago.
Thread killer

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Sounds pretty bad. 

I agree on the customer service wholeheartedly.  I'm a merchant myself and do primarily online sales.  Most of my day is spent on the computer answering emails.  People are dumfounded when they receive replies within minutes.  Occasionally I take a day or so (usually over weekend, but I often even reply on wekends) and some slip through the cracks, but VERY few.

My Brother is in the market for a power drill.  I offered to let him use mine, but he's afraid he'll wreck it.  He uses it when we fish together though.  I've held him off on making a purchase until I learn more about the new Jiffy engines and also if Husqvarna is all it's cracked up to be.  Last years Pro is on the list if we can find one.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Picked up the 3500 this weekend to replace my model 30 (old school suicide handle).

Starts on the first pull out of the box and cuts ice like butter. 

My only concern is the amount of plastic (where the power switch is mounted seems pretty flimsy).

Offline Mudpout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2010, 11:31 AM »
My only complaint after well over 400 holes this winter is that stupid quick connect system.   It broke the second time i put it together.    I dont understand what they were thinking using such brittle material in something that is only used in freezing temps?  Looked good on paper i guess LOL

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Dear List;

I wanted to reply with a final "ice out" update on my jiffy Pro II STX.  For my very long ordeal, Jiffy did made it right with me.  

I still think they could have spent a nickel more and made a better designed machine. A pull rope upgrade and a real switch plate of metal, and an engine shroud upgrade of metal for, say $30 would suit me fine.

The auger end is great but the power head leaves something to be desired.  After I received my replacement power head back, I have drilled about 500 holes, yes I do fish a lot.  42 times out this winter.

The engine needs primed 8 times and then 8 more pulls to get it to start.  It does run and bore holes like crazy AFTER it is warmed up good.

Still, a lot of plastic for the money.  

Again, Jiffy did make it right with me but it took some phone calls.

To reply to the quick connect issue:  I put a grade 8 bolt with a lock nut on mine and it works extremely well. You're correct the plastic cuff is trash...bad idea.

Be sure to run some stabill through your tank, and run all the fuel out to eliminate problems with the carb next winter.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.