Author Topic: Panhandle  (Read 6724 times)

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
Re: Panhandle
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Are you talking feet or inches ?  On the FOW?   cuz if you walk 3/4 mile out to fish 37 inches of water I am staying home or fishing somewhere else.
Was wondering the same thing!!!

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Hi everybody, I'm new to this sight. Just looking for "Jumbo Perch" lately. I Just limited out on "Blue Backs" on Spirit Lake on Thursday. All in the 8" range. Sure taste good smoked and canned. If anybody has a suggestion on a good local lake that's hot for keeper Perch right now. I would be open to ideas.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Depends on what you consider keepers?  Keepers to eat or for bait? 
Cocolalla has some pretty good perch in it.  I caught a few last year pushing and a few over 12".  If you are catching dinks move.  keep moving and find the big ones.  And don't be afraid to fish different depths.  They are not always on the bottom. I have found the big girls up off the bottom.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:52 AM »
My report on Sunnyside above should read:

29" (inches) or 2 feet 5 inches

37" (inches) or 3 feet 1 inch

There has been a reference to the "Dead Sea" since several years of so called "Weed Abatement" that has turned Sunnyside into a vast structureless sand/mud flat. Close groups, seem to keep the schools around for a while, if and when they show up. The keepers often go for something that looks like a small perch. Lift it above the school a bit.
   Good luck. Forenoon is best.

;)

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:05 PM »
big 7
are you willing to give up a few secreets on the spirit lake kokane? went out today and only caught 1.  we went to the west end at 9am.... didnt see anyone catching fish... if you can get permission try fishing rimrock lake... they get some 10+ inch pearch...

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Fished Round lake today.  Pretty slow.  Did end up with 3 trout and 3 perch. 

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:23 PM »
For spirit lake do you just park at the public launch or is there another access point? i heard there's a place where you can pay to park but i haven't tried it. probably going to head up there this week and give it a shot.

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:47 PM »
Hey, I just use a 1/4 inch chain weight with a 6 inch leader. At the end I tie a black or green ice jig with wax worms. I find them in deep water over 50 feet deep. I fish 15-30 feet deep. Trolling upwards slowly will help determine the depth they are biting at. This helped me limit out on Spirit Lake in just 2-3 hours.

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:30 AM »
I cant find anyone who has wax worms right now.  black sheep and rathdrum drug are out... does millers carry them?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:12 AM »
I cant find anyone who has wax worms right now.  black sheep and rathdrum drug are out... does millers carry them?

The quick stop in Twin Lakes has them some times.  So does the Chevron Station at Cocolalla.

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:31 AM »
I have been thinking about making my own ice rods.  I was wondering if anyone has done this?  If so how did or do they work and was it cost effective?  I looked on ebay and found ice rod blanks 30 for $25 including shipping.  The eyelets i can buy in bulk so i figures out that that would cost about another $1.25 per rod... i just dont know about the handles. and how they all go together and other supplys needed.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Who is making it out this weekend? Where ? and targeting what? 

If you want also what area of the lake?

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:05 AM »
thinking about going out on sunday.   not sure where yet... i'm a litle worried about the ice... alot of rain and warm weather... i know u twin had 14 inches last weekend.. if anyone knows how the ice on in twin, spirit, cocolala, and hayden let us know

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:52 AM »
I saw some people fishing on Cocolalla and the Condos yesterday when I drove by.  I think the ice is fine if you like standing in the water on top of it. 

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:34 AM »
I fished Spirit for Kokanee Friday for 4-5 hours, only caught 2 perch. The ice is still a good 4-8" thick. I fished 2 differant locations. Nobody was catching any numbers. :(

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:56 PM »
4-8 of clear plus the crap? or 4-8 total? 
I am sure most of the lakes are still good but a week of this and I'm not sure about next.
Anyone take a Quad out today?

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:09 PM »
I would say about 5" average of the solid stuff.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2010, 05:22 PM »
4-8 of clear plus the crap? or 4-8 total? 
I am sure most of the lakes are still good but a week of this and I'm not sure about next.
Anyone take a Quad out today?
     I have been thinking about using my atv or snowmobile on upper twin, but with this warm up and rain I may rethink that.  No cold snap in sight.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:44 PM »
me and two of my buddies were on upper twin on a quad last weekend. I am sure this weekend is fine if you watch where your going.  Next weekend you may not be able to walk on it if this keeps up..  There is still snow on the ground so its not melting very fast. 

Offline Griep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Went out last Friday at the mouth of Fry Creek and had no luck, saw some large perch but none of them feeding. Still think that Perch Bay out in Sunnyside is the ticket

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Is there even water there?

Offline Griep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18, 2010, 03:48 PM »
Hey Dude, we fished in 4-5 feet of water lots of small perch and I saw an occasional large perch on the camera

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:47 AM »
i ended up sleeping in on sunday(the only day i had to fish) and watching the football games.  i made it out to upper twin on monday to check the ice just to see what was left.  just off the dock there was atleast 8 inches of good ice and 2-3 inches of bad ice on top with another 1/2 of water on top of that.  went to lower twin on my way out and there was 6-10 people fishing.. i went out and talked to one group that was 100yds off the bank and they had atleast 6 inches of good ice.  they were catching some nice trout.  they had 6 sitting on the ice from 12-18 inches long.  I wish i hadent been to lazy to get out.

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:22 PM »
go to copper bay on spirit lake for blue back. any blue and silver shiner with a green glow hook and magot 4" down. fish 20' down with a soft pole. I have put a couple hundred away so far this winter. I have been trying to find them on lower twin this week but havent had any luck so far. I know they are there i have caught them in the spring just after the ice comes off and a couple of guys out there last week took one home with their trout that was 14+"

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:32 AM »
i am not sure where cooper bay is.  what is a blue/ silver shiner?  the old timers i ran in to out there were using a bead chain with an egg hook that they put green/blue/ or purple finger nail polish in a glob by the eye(home made glow hook just smaller).
     Twin is tough for the kokes... most people fish acrost the way from par 3 for them... the hot spot use to be north of there just before you get to the bridge near the cliffs.   too long of a walk for most now because you cant park near he bridge now.   

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:45 PM »
So who made it out today?  and what is the ice like?  Anyone out with a quad still?

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:32 PM »
went to upper twin today... 30 pearch and 3 channel cats...  didnt know twin had channel cats... 2 atv's out on the ice and multiple snow cats out... ice was 10" thick

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Channels huh??  Must have been some bucket biology then. The state isnt reporting they put them there.

I have caught a ton of Bull heads out of there but never a Channel.  Where abouts did you find them and were there any size to them?

Offline thegrubblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:46 AM »
i was on upper twin and 400 yds in the direction of the channel.  caught 3 off glow hooks using 3-6 maggots on each hook.   all 3 from the same hole, all sitting maby an inch from the bottom.   2 of them were at least 19 inches long and maby weiged 3-4 lbs a peace.  had 2 friends with me and we all agreed that they were bull heads..   i have caught alot of bull heads.  and i know what i caught was not a bull head, I have not caught any other cat fish other then bull heads so i guess it could be another species.  All I know is they were good eating and fun to catch... They most likely got in there the same way pike ended up in the lake.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:12 AM »
Big bullheads.  State record is 20 inches.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.