Author Topic: Another UHMW runner question.  (Read 15550 times)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Another UHMW runner question.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:51 PM »
1/4 inch is definately enough to countersink screws.  It was the standard runner material for dogsleds for years. Between training and racing those sleds get more miles and abuse than our ice fishing sleds.  Now mushers use uhmw that has a sliding dovetail so there are no screws.  As for having it cut for shipping if it's ripped to narrow strips it can be rolled up and shipped in a small box.  It does not need to be cut into short lengths.  When I was racing sled dogs I had 8 foot lengths shipped many times in a 12"x12"x2" box.

Offline BigDdoney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is best!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2009, 01:14 AM »
(4) pieces of 1/2" thick UHMW 1" wide x 60" long would be $23 plus shipping.
   how do we buy?

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2009, 01:14 PM »
What do you guys think about using plexiglass?  I have a scout and have some free plexi that I can use. It's 3 1/2 wide by 1/2 thick. It may be tough to bend but with some heat it sould be fine.

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2009, 02:38 PM »
I would save yourself the time and the headache and use UHMW, plexiglas is just way to brittle.

You could drag your shanty down a gravel road all season long using UHMW, whereas the plexiglas would chip and shatter after only a few times out. Don't get me wrong free material that saves the bottom of your shanty is great regardless of what it was but you would be replacing it rather quickly.

Offline BigDdoney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is best!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 16, 2009, 02:56 PM »
pm sent micgh mafia

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 16, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the plexi. I only wanna have to install something on the sled once so I think I'll just stick with what works best!

Offline deweyr25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:18 AM »
michigan mafia,

i am unable to send PM's, but am interested in buying this UHMW from you.  I would need 8 pieces of the 1/2" thick shipped to bellaire, MI 49615.  Can you give me a total for that?  Thanks a lot.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 21, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Anyone in the Grand Rapids MI area wants to go in to cut shipping let me know.....I found some scrap ~1/2" x ~1/2"x48" for about $1.50 a stick + Shipping. After I get what I needed I will post my source.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Not trying to butt in on michigan mafia's business but if anyone in canada or us is in need of plastic/custom fab I run a plastic fabrication shop/cnc router and plasma here in regina sk. We sell every kind of plastic including uhmw and repro. And we've always got offcuts to sell for cheaper. I'm not expecting to get a bunch of business add but if I do I will consider becomming a sponsor. Also ill post pictures of my shack build soon, lots of neat plastic stuff.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:04 PM »
I need some for my frabill recon dlx, i know frabill makes kits for the recon but i dont want to pay the $50 bucks when some people are making there own for far less $$.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:05 AM »
here is a link to the company i used......Havent seen the actual product yet, but they have a stack every 3 days or so on auction......dont outbid each other wait for a unbid auction.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/21488-Polypro-natural-approx-1-2-square-x-48-x-16-pcs_W0QQitemZ360211828884QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53de4c5094

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Did you guys use screws or bolts with lock washers or locking nuts?  3/4"?

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:55 AM »
Stainless screws with nylon nuts and washers.  Also I put a dab of silicone calk over the nuts as an extra measure to keep them from backing out.

Offline shnelson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 01, 2009, 10:34 PM »
I just talked to one of our salesman and he said that UHMW is the best product for that application because it is water resistant. Here are the prices that he gave me for UHMW Black Repro.

(4) pieces of 1/4" thick UHMW Black Repro 1" wide by 60" long would be $18 plus shipping.

(4) pieces of 1/2" thick UHMW Black Repro 1" wide by 60" long would be $23 plus shipping.

The Repro is basically just reprocessed UHMW, in other words, it has not been made from scratch, but rather recycled from scrap UHMW thus making it more cost effective. This material retains the same properties as "virgin" or "natural" UHMW, but because of the reprocessing has a dark, speckled color. Hope this helps.

How much to ship 1/4" to 55073? Seeing your post made my sign up on this site, this is a pretty sweet deal! I would have sent a PM but I don't meet the 4 post minimum yet..

Offline hulv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 01, 2009, 10:40 PM »
hey shnelson
i bought mine from the same guy on ebay as hollywood is pointing out   worked good for me

Offline shnelson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 01, 2009, 10:52 PM »
hey shnelson
i bought mine from the same guy on ebay as hollywood is pointing out   worked good for me

thanks hulv, I just threw a bid on that one. Here's another 0 bid auction from him for anyone else looking:
http://cgi.ebay.com/21490-Polypro-natural-approx-1-2-square-x-48-x-16-pcs_W0QQitemZ360213373308QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53de63e17c

Offline hulv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:00 PM »
no prob   you can see what i did a page back    need any ideas let me know      i love tinkering with this stuff    expecially since there is no ice!!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:25 AM »
Yep, got mine yestarday..........loo ks like it has been cut but other than that for the price you cant go wrong....I'll get 3 sleds done out of 16 pieces so 8.33 a sled plus hardware.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:04 AM »
Nope, I only need 4' for most applications...I wasnt trying to deter people from purchasing elsewhere, just pointing out a good deal......I would have prefered 3/4 or 1" by 1/2" but i can butt 2 pieces side by side...Just couldnt go wrong for the price.....3 sleds for $25 + hardware...

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:00 PM »
I found 1/2" hard to bend.........not sure what everyone is using to bend it.....I only had a propane torch.....and it seemed to burn it more than melt it..........what has everyone used?

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I found 1/2" hard to bend.........not sure what everyone is using to bend it.....I only had a propane torch.....and it seemed to burn it more than melt it..........what has everyone used?

Just a hair dryer here.  I anchored the tip where I wanted in on the sled and heated and bent it until I could put in the next screw. 

Offline hulv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:21 PM »
I just bolted as i bent it no big deal   but it was probably 70 out when i did it   

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:26 PM »

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #53 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:50 AM »
hey all this website has all kinds.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23217&clickid=redirect

But they want an arm and a leg for shipping!!!!!!!   >:( ??? >:(

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:25 AM »
really?  even if you have it sent in 5 foot lengths?
hmmm thats a bummer

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:06 AM »

You have to ask to cut the pieces down for shipping unless you need them long for something.  I got 60' cut in 5' sections shipped for just a few dollars last season.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:13 AM »
You have to ask to cut the pieces down for shipping unless you need them long for something.  I got 60' cut in 5' sections shipped for just a few dollars last season.
yeah thats what I thought..  if you have it sent in the 20 foot lengths it has be dropped shipped, and that is pricey.
 you have to call them and order it, and tell them 5' lengths...

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #57 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:11 PM »
yeah thats what I thought..  if you have it sent in the 20 foot lengths it has be dropped shipped, and that is pricey.
 you have to call them and order it, and tell them 5' lengths...

OK!  I had first put in 20' and got the drop ship rate, then I tried 4' and it too gave me the drop ship rate.  So CALLING is the key ~ Thanks  :tipup:

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 09, 2009, 04:01 PM »
OK!  I had first put in 20' and got the drop ship rate, then I tried 4' and it too gave me the drop ship rate.  So CALLING is the key ~ Thanks  :tipup:
post some pics when you get it rigged up!!

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:04 PM »
A couple of things to make it easier.
Always use flat head counter sunk bolts w/lock nuts and a little waterproof sealant to keep the water out.
You do not need a lot of bolts 1 at each end, 1 or 2 in the middle depending on the length of the runners
1/4 or 3/8 or 1/2 will work, have used and sold all thickness
If you splice them together bevel cut the ends to a 45 and make sure they are tight.
ALWAYS bend them up on the front with a hair dryer or a torch do not get in a hurry or get them to hot or they will burn.
I have the 1/2 inch runners on my Grand Caravan for 4 years and there is no wear
I have 1/4 inch runners on my fish trap pro this will be the first season for it.
Hope this helps anyone who is going to do this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.