Author Topic: What's your ice fishing gear timeline?  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's your ice fishing gear timeline?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 14, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I have only been ice fishing for 3 years now. My family wasnt really into fishing, and ice fishing was "dangerous" until I went to college.

Year one: Bummed off my buddies stuff
Year two: Vexilar, Frabill Guardian, Rods, a "new" 1997 Arctic Cat Z440
Year three: Tackle and lots of it!, More/Better Rods and Reels, Clam Trapper, Ice Armor Grey Suit, Ice armor gloves, Strikemaster Lazer Mag? (the 2.5hp model) 10"

This is year four, and I bought all the big stuff already. The only plans I have for this year is a new heater and some tackle. This year so far I bought two new rods right at the end of last season, one for panfish and the other for whitefish/walleye/perch. And I bought a bucket and plano tackle lid to help organize my trapper more. I also need a new pair of ice armor gloves, but not for ice fishing. I love them so much I want to wear them all the time, but they smell like pike.  ;D
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

surflizard

« Reply #31 on: Jun 14, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Hmmm, where to start ? I guess I started at 5 or 6 years old with my Granddad, my father and my uncle, 68 or 69 I think ? I'll never forget when my uncle got his Eskimo, it was the first gas powered auger in the area, My uncle was a real popular guy right about then !! ;D I rode a bucket and ran hand carved jig sticks and hand me down tip ups for 30 + years. I was working in the midwest and saw the Clam for the first time back in the 80s, I knew then that the ways I had ice fished were changing and changing for the better ! I've followed the Technology closely and started collecting More, Better, Faster gear ever since ! ;D The one problem is the electronics, they have advanced by leaps and bounds, the more sophisticated they get, the more expensive they get also ! I will give credit where credit is due, the advancement in the equipment gear, clothing and tackle have made icefishing easier and alot more Exciting for me !!

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jun 14, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Started about 1974 with Grandpa, using an old spoon auger, and stiff as firewood jig poles. Pretty much stuck with that until the late 80's, and bought a few beaver Dams, and a 7" Mora auger. In the past 12 years, it's been a dozen jig rods, a dozen tip ups, mostly Beaver Dams, 2 gas augers, 2 vex fl-8's and countless jigs. I wish Grandpa was still around to give me hell about all the unnecessary equipment!

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #33 on: Jun 14, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Growing up from 1993 to 2009, I've been influenced by movies, TV shows, and ads about ice fishing and have never gone. (My family rarely took me out fishing in general) I didn't know whether it was from the first time I've heard about ice fishing which was from the movie, Grumpy Old Men or just the Minnesotan blood from my dad's side. Either way, I've been dying to go for years and no one wouldn't or just didn't have "The Time" to do it, but last year, in 2010, I convinced my dad to take me out ice fishing IF I could buy the gear... luckily for me I've been saving for a while and bought my first auger (6"), two jigging rods w/ reels, two ice lines (2&4 pound test line), warm clothes, boots, a ice scoop, jigs, wooden tip-up, and an ice bucket. After going out a couple times together to a nearby lake, my dad called it quits for ice fishing, so I had to wait for my license. After I got my license, I also got a new rod and reel, a tip-up, warm gloves and hat, and a one man flip-up shanty (Half off) for the 2011 season. Now that I'm preparing for the 2012 season, I've recently saved up for a Showdown Fish Finder and am going to soon buy an ice fishing sled, fishing rod tip-up, the Showdown Ice Troller, rod holders, and 8" auger blades. I may be young and don't have as much gear as much of these fanatics on the site, however my love for this sport will never die and some day, I'll probably be filling up my future garage with nothing but open and frozen water gear... with a home-made shanty on the side ::).
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

surflizard

« Reply #34 on: Jun 14, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty Muskiewrangler, glad to have ya aboard ! Also welcome to the worst addiction you'll ever know ! Your Doomed just like the rest of us !  :woot: :roflmao: :icefish:

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #35 on: Jun 14, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I've never been this excited to be doomed!  ;)
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #36 on: Jun 14, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I've never been this excited to be doomed!  ;)

Isn't that what Custer said?  :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jun 15, 2011, 04:38 AM »
Year 1: 5 tipups, rod, a bait bucket and 6" Lazer hand auger.
Year 2: a buddy heater put in my timberline tent nailed down to the ice.
Year 4: an Eskimo quickfish 3 and a bigger sled. Found IceShanty at about the same time. Started posting and immediately got thrown in the Grumpyoldman Shanty by popular demand. rgfixit taught me to stay away from controversy. Still learning that one.
Year 5: made a spud bar and bought ice picks after I fell through.  
Year 8: Strikemaster Lazer Mag 10", 2 1/2 h.p.
Year 9: new gor-tex coat  
Year 10: pair of Sorels boots.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Jun 15, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Early 80's: Bucket seat, Normark hand ice auger, wood thrumming rod, snowmobile suit.
Mid 90's: Sharing buddy's shack, one Rapala rod/reel, lawn chair
Jump to present century: Hung 80's gear on wall for antiques.
Seven years ago: New Shimano reels,  Premier rods, padded  chair, new glo-lures, Ranger ice boots
Six years ago: DLX  4000 Ice shack, Ice Armor  fishing coat, gloves, Minnow Magic
Five years ago: Eskimo gas Ice auger, jet sled, 2 Buddy heaters, shack lights
Four years ago: Portable propane burner to cook, cooking gear, GPS, Blizzard Pruf Bibs
Three years ago: LXi depth finder, custom rods, new President reels, Sealskins
Two years ago: High back chair, new tackle box, new lures, tipups, another Minnow Magic
One year ago: New 2010 F-150 4x4 truck, Showdown, 2 more President reels, St. Croix rods, more tipups.

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #39 on: Jun 20, 2011, 05:26 PM »
This past season was only my 3rd. year on ice. I'm 29 now, and love fishing so I thought I would find a way to pass the time in winter. The first year I started simple, wasn't sure if I would like it. I had no one to go with, so it was a self taught experience, and all the wonderful help from my ice shanty members.  ;D I'm lucky enough to have a really cool girlfriend, that got me a few things for christmas the past few years as well. Although, I'm sure I've spent more on her diamond jewelry than she has on ice gear!!!!  :'( :'( :'(

1st year: Bucket, few ice rods, jigs, mora auger and a tip-up. (Girlfriend bought everything but the auger)
2nd year: Clam Kenai ice shanty (girlfriend again)
3rd year: Nils 6" hand auger, little buddy heater.

Every year:more jigs, lures, bait, beer, etc....

This year I want a flasher. Been using open water sonar, it works, but not as good as a flasher.

Hopefully if/when I get married, she doesn't change. But we all know that's a lie!!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jun 20, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Make sure you do your wedding gift registry at a sporting goods store... ;D

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Fellas!
I don't think it ever ends because we all want to increase our success so we
buy the latest gadgets that will hopefully increase our chances just a little bit
more. I too am guilty of this but I need to feed the addiction. I know I am not
the only one like this either. We will continue to be hooked till the day we die
or the day the dear Lord chooses to not furnish our ice.So until we get ice again
I'll hit ebay,craigslist and of course the good ole garage sales and Flea markets.
Until we see each other on the ice again, enjoy your summer ladys and gentlemen! ;D
Greg
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.