The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New Jiffy engines: Why no reviews?  (Read 22110 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: New Jiffy engines: Why no reviews?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2009, 03:41 PM »
It does not look any more difficult to start than your garden variety piece of power equipment to me...

They do warn you about being gentile with the recoil though, I guess some things remain the same from the Tecumseh engine. ::)

My Echo Kioritz chainsaw sounds like a toy too, but it will really rip stuff up!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2009, 07:18 PM »
My Echo Kioritz chainsaw sounds like a toy too, but it will really rip stuff up!

As will the echo kioritz in any of their equipment.  I have a echo weed trimmer, it's unreal how much torque that little engine has, it wants to spin out of my hand when I hit the throttle.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2009, 04:33 PM »
What he said. I got a new STX PROII, still in the box so I can't leave an honest review, BUT I know that in the unlikely event of a problem, Jiffy will take care of it.
Yes, what he said two....I will have my own STX PRO II in seven days in a box of my own.  It wasn't even in the store yet here in WY.  Special order. Same price as last years STX PRO, liked that.
I am excited to see how it performs at 6,000 foot elevation and against the 20 year old jiffy that still runs very well.
With the new clutch and cutting blades, it will be a fun comparison. The promo notes "more horsepower" and 15% faster hole cutting.   We shall see.  Vroom~vroom~
Thread killer

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2009, 04:51 PM »
I was wrong about the gear cases. The 2500 models are still metal, only the 3500 models are the plastic.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:32 PM »
The gearbox cases are probably filled plastic with a fairly thick wall so I don't think they are anything to worry about. If Jiffy found a good engine maker over in China the motor should be no problem. Some companies started out in say Japan and built a new factory over in China just for the labor costs. This is OK if they set up the factory and have the same quality control as the Japan plants. Zenoah, Yamaha, Onan and many others have done this. I would prefer they stay in Japan and I think going to China is going to be a big mistake in the future as China grows but we will see.

Kioritz/Echo has always had a very good cylinder plating and rotating assembly. I have some newer Echos and older Echos. Only issues with the new echos is with the carburation, but thats with all the manufacturers nowdays. A little 2 stroke motor can make a lot of power, its all in the porting, carburation and exhaust. I have 2 - 30cc Homelites that make over 2 1/4hp at 13k rpm and retains the stock torque numbers. Stock it made a hair over 1hp and didn't spin over 9k rpm. There are 26cc motors out there making over 7hp and spinning over 20krpm under load.

Offline bucky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 16, 2009, 11:15 PM »
I checked out the new Jiffy and Strikemaster augers side by side today.  The SMs are much lighter when comparing 10" 3hp models.  I don't like the plastic handles on the SMs.  The store employee told me that he orders a couple replacement SM handles each winter for customers.  So that's a strike against them.  Jiffy's new plastic motor shroud is also junk - one of the display models was already broken before it had been filled with gas and fired up.  The Jiffy's (both 2500 and 3500) have an akward exhaust deflector sticking out the top of the powerhead.  Looked to me like an accident waiting to happen - either a burn or at least a torn glove or sleeve. 

Neither are perfect.  Both have more plastic parts than I'd like to see.  The SM Lazer Pro was noticeably lighter than the Jiffy Model 30, partly due to the amount of plastic used.  At the same time, I like the design of the SM and the smaller profile will fit in a sled much easier.  I also like that the Solo engine runs on 40:1 mixture.  Don't know what the new Jiffy engines use.

So I've got to decide on one vs the other.  The old Jiffy 35 is ready to retire.  Right now I'm leaning toward the Strikemaster, but I'm not ready to declare a winner just yet.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:47 AM »
I saw both side by side this weekend at Cabelas. They both have a lot of plastic. Strike master has it in more critical areas. Transmission and handles, wear as jiffy is on shield around engine. I've got an old white lightning that still runs good so I have the luxury of seeing what happens next. Glad I don't have to make that decision.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2009, 12:51 PM »
stx here...
what sold me was the metal transmission housing....thats where it happens! money was not an issue but i hate seeing the plastic housing on tourqed and moving parts! (stx pro)
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:10 PM »
I also like that the Solo engine runs on 40:1 mixture.  Don't know what the new Jiffy engines use.

Check out the gas mix thread and learn about the synthetic one-mix oils, no more worrying about different gas cans for all you 2-stroke toys.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38599.0

Offline bucky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:34 AM »
I've been using a synthetic multi-blend oil the last couple years.  Doesn't burn as clean as a regular 24:1 in my old Jiffy.  I imagine that it would be very dirty compared to 40:1.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:13 AM »
I have used the Tanaka oil in equipment at work and read the bottle. Tanaka does not say anything about it being a full synthetic and I don't think they even use the word synthetic on the bottle. I'm willing to bet money the oil Tanaka sells is a synthetic blend. If you want a clean burning oil go with a full synthetic like the Amsoil 2-stroke oils. (Sabre Professional) I've tore apart several motors that have always seen a mostly dino oil and the carbon was that bad you had to scrape it off the piston and all the ports, bad carbon.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 19, 2009, 12:26 AM »
Back to the topic, I spoke to a marketing guy at Jiffy/Feldman today. Gear box has been the same one in production for four years, is tougher than aluminum..but is some form of poly plastic none the less, same as engine shroud. 40:1 oil, jiffy brand only, no high octane gasoline. The "more performance" is from larger/better carb. and the 15:1 gearing.  Yes, China on the engine manufacture.  Largest problem was oil mix and bad fuels historically. Maybe the plastic is the stuff Glock's are made of and not what's on the bottom front bumper of my car.
I await my STX PRO II  (the II is because some other manufacturer stole their "PRO"...sounds fishy (no pun intended).
A one year warranty on the engine gives one about two months of drilling holes and ten months of it sitting even in Wyoming.
He noted I would be very happy as the model had been tested with 1,000 demo machines last year. I await my auger in a box hopefully this weekend.    Maybe they supply the jiffy oil that is required as no one sells it here.
Soon as I can, I will review it even If I have to drive 130 miles up north to the Green River Lakes area to find some ice.
Not throwing up or dancing either one yet.
Thread killer

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2009, 01:33 AM »
For having put 1000 demo machines on the ice last year, you would expect to see some reviews on line I could not find any and that makes me nervous. I had expected for someone to post a few and prove me wrong but none have shown up. As it stands right now I wouldn't touch one until I see some solid reviews, in fact I would not buy one this year. My top of the line 2 yr old 10 inch Stealth STX gave me nothing but grief right out of the box. They will have to prove themselves worthy before they get any more of my money
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:36 AM »
It would be nice if the testers were not biased testers like the guys on strikemasters pro staff or payroll. A review from a prostaffer or someone affiliated with the company doesn't interest me much at all.

Offline IcePro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Have Fish House Will Travel"
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Four years ago Jiffy started to look at new engines that could be used for power augers.  With EPA putting tighter restrictions on small engines Jiffy wanted to have an alternative engine just in case the Tecumseh engines could no longer be used.  So the search was on for a new engine, Jiffy looked at Solo, Shiwanda, Briggs, Honda and several others. 

Jiffy required an engine that worked with the torque that they require on their transmissions already. The engineers at Jiffy were not pleased with the overall performance of these engines so they started to design their own engine by working with a small engine company and carburetor company to create their own engine.  The company that is building the engines has been manufacturing small engines for many years.

Jiffy would of liked to have the engines made in the USA but their was not a facility that had the capability to produce these engines with a reasonable price and the capability to manufacture and ship engines as needed.

One of the company’s listed above had the potential of being used but the engine company could not fulfill the quantity of engines that Jiffy would need.  Jiffy prides themselves on being manufactures and having the capability of never running out of product.

Jiffy started having test engines built for them almost four years ago.  So you can see Jiffy has been working on an engine for some time, they had test units on the ice for several years and have done extensive testing until they had right engine.

Last October when Tecumseh announced that they were shutting the doors Jiffy did not have to scurry to look for an engine, they had an engine.  Last October Jiffy introduced their new engine under the radar with their Model 60, this engine performed flawlessly last season by the consumer so Jiffy new they had the right engine.

Jiffy has two models of engines the 2500 series and the 3500 series.

The Model 2500 series has a 41cc engine with a 12:1 gear ration and the Model 3500 series has a 51cc engine with a 15:1 gear ration.  Both of these engines feature a non flood carburetor and there are no jets that need adjustments.  The weight of the power heads are the same, about the same as a 2hp Tecumseh.  So you can have the 3hp performance without the weight with the Model 3500.

Jiffy has not changed their transmission or their cutting technology, only the engines. 

Jiffy transmissions, flitting, blades, etc. are still made in the USA.

In regards to service you will find that Jiffy has the same great customer service that everyone raves about with Strikemaster.  If you lived in Wisconsin you could bring your auger directly into Jiffy for service as well.

Jiffy is working with small engine shops that do service work for small engines for any warranty work.  In the mean time if there is any need of repair on the new engines the consumer just needs to contact Jiffy for a RA# and a UPS call tag and they can ship the auger to Jiffy for repairs, the turn around time out of Jiffy is one day.  If you are in the area, stop into the factory.

If you need to put a name on the engine it is a Jiffy engine since it is designed by Jiffy. In regards to the name Badger, this is the earth auger from Feldmann Engineering, the parent company of Jiffy.

It must be ICE FISHING SEASON, my wife has increased my "Life Insurance Policy"

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:31 AM »
It would be nice if the testers were not biased testers like the guys on strikemasters pro staff or payroll. A review from a prostaffer or someone affiliated with the company doesn't interest me much at all.

The post above from IcePro is exactly that. He's on Jiffy's pro staff and has been for several years.
Ken                                          

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 19, 2009, 10:07 AM »
The post above from IcePro is exactly that. He's on Jiffy's pro staff and has been for several years.
So, listees, back to the original topic in the thread.   Why no  Jiffy NEW engine review?  Of a thousand tested models, no unbiased non pro staff common average avid ice angler has one to review yet?   I think the guy yesterday may have been
blowing a little smoke my way.  It kind of tickled at first.  I tell myself patience is a virtue.
Mean while,  I haven't sold my old 30 popper yet.  I may have to use it as a back up if the new blazin' wonder gets sent back for warranty work.
Still a spudder at heart-a non pro average avid ice angler who laid out $500+ last weekend.  Maybe I should change my name to old wool and worms...or Dances-with-spud.

Cough, cough; and not from H1N1
Thread killer

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 19, 2009, 10:48 AM »
What Ice pro posted was helpful but it still leaves many unanswered questions. I work part time at a store that sells both jiffy and strikemaster I just can't recommend the Jiffy's yet because there is no track record for these engines or for their anonymous Chinese engine maker. I've seen good reviews on the Strikemaster and also on Solo engines. If I had to put my own money down I would get the Strikemaster. That might very well change based upon actual feedback and performance of the new Jiffy. The Jiffy's look much nicer, (Until you see the plastic shroud), but then ice fishing is not a fashion contest, at least it;s not for me.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Four years ago Jiffy started to look at new engines that could be used for power augers.  With EPA putting tighter restrictions on small engines Jiffy wanted to have an alternative engine just in case the Tecumseh engines could no longer be used.  So the search was on for a new engine, Jiffy looked at Solo, Shiwanda, Briggs, Honda and several others. 

Jiffy required an engine that worked with the torque that they require on their transmissions already. The engineers at Jiffy were not pleased with the overall performance of these engines so they started to design their own engine by working with a small engine company and carburetor company to create their own engine.  The company that is building the engines has been manufacturing small engines for many years.

Jiffy would of liked to have the engines made in the USA but their was not a facility that had the capability to produce these engines with a reasonable price and the capability to manufacture and ship engines as needed.

One of the company’s listed above had the potential of being used but the engine company could not fulfill the quantity of engines that Jiffy would need.  Jiffy prides themselves on being manufactures and having the capability of never running out of product.

I'm shure thats Jiffys official postion on the matter but I'm not dumb enough to buy it. If the 2hp Tecumseh worked on the Jiffys the Solo would have also as well as many other manufacturers current engines. Jiffy is just doing what pretty much every company has been doing within the past decade or two. They go overseas to find a cheaper product to make more profit, plain and simple. Jiffy just couldn't get a more widely known motor like Solo, Tanaka, Stihl, Echo/Kioritz, Shindaiwa and etc for the price they wanted to pay. I have yet to get a good look at Jiffys new engines but they look like an awful generic looking chinesse knockoff to me. (Plastic and layout looks like it was borrowed from an Echo) If the engine was from a more branded manufacturer Jiffy would advertise it because lets face it, branding works and sells. Jiffy could have easily modified there gearbox ratios to accomadate another engine if needed.  I do commend Jiffy for continuing to manufacturer several of its parts in the US and keep good old steel parts on the augers, instead of all the cheesy plastic on some other augers.

Also don't brag up needle-less compensating carburetors, they are junk. The manufacturers are trying to make people think carbs with needles are the devil.

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #49 on: Nov 19, 2009, 12:35 PM »
i'm glad i got my jiffy right before they switched!

Offline Tommerdahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:52 PM »
I have been looking for info or a review of the new Jiffy engines but have not found a single review. Why all the secrecy?  Can anyone point me to a review of this new engine?

Look on this site, you will now find unbias information.

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #51 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Great discussion.  I bought two augers last year and one this year.  So I got both strikemaster 2hp and the jiffy 3hp  both with what are now the very end of the Tecumpseh motors.  I never had a bit of luck with either until i tinkered with them personally.  I should not have to putz around with a brand new motor but there you go.  Any tecumpseh has been trouble for me so my opinion was low anyway and now they are gone, so what?  Who knows where they built or sourced them and don't you know they don't have to say.  They both  tecumpseh run well and are ready to go. 

So I was so dissapointed with them that this year i pitched for the nil master.  Still brand new on my shelf.  Aside from the poweplant, it seem like no one talks about the auger end.  I am impressed with how different the nil auger head is compared to the others.  It looks handmade and it is razor sharp, no joke. 

So anyway I don't know whether to feel good or bad about buying both augers in the year both companies changed engines and a little spooky too, maybe my mojo was guiding me but in any case it sounds like many here were happy with the status quo.  One thing to notice is that nils master makes their auger bits by hand from the looks and you can see where they were actually pounded by hand.  Then they put a standard Japanese powerplant on top.  I will wait and see how they perform this winter since I can afford to keep them all, for now ::)

crazy man

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Look on this site, you will now find unbias information.
I thought you were a private contractor representing Jiffy...Ooo K.
Thread killer

Offline Tommerdahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Although I have been in the industry for 24 years, truly this is my first sincere try at addressing issues on a Chat site.

First, the HTT "High Torque Tranmission" has been around for three years.  Suddenly this year, posters are attacking the fact it is plastic.  It is not a simple plastic, to this point, look at Strikemasters new gear box.

Second, the engine has been out for over a year.  Why are so many people surprised or assuming Jiffy is hiding information?

Third, Jiffy has several non-chatters or non-bias people testing the units.  In fact multiple thousands of fishermen tested it last year with only one failure.  The model - SD60i was sold by every majory retailer in the United States and Canada.

Fourth, Solo is a great engine, however because of high RPM's and some cold start concerns, our engineers chose another direction; a direction better serving the fishermen.

Fifth, Jiffy did not choose China to "save money" or overcharge the fishermen.  This same plant supplies several brands that consumers have purchased for decades.  Contractual agreements cannot allow a supplier to review production sources to protect other brands using the same manufacturer.  Standard OEM protocols.

Sixth, the conversation of Dollars to Euros forced unnecessary price increases on our competitors units.  Why pay more for the same or less?

Seventh, name one major power auger company that does not utilize a plastic housing.  Strikemaster, Jiffy and Eskimo have similar designs.

Eighth, our history should prove our case.

Ninth, I know numerous Strikemaster "Pros" are posting assumptions and bias opinions.  Again, I welcome your visit during the St. Paul Ice Show.  We have common interests and friendships to share outside of this website.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #54 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Tommerdahl:  I took a look at one of the Jiffy augers in my local sporting goods shop.  What is that little pipe sticking up out of the muffler area?  Is that the exhaust pipe?  Seems to me like that would snap off the first time it was in a sled. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Tommerdahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Hi...

Testing found no functional flaws in this design.  Drop it in your sled, ride, ride...ride.  The little stack can be removed without harm to the unit or used directionally.  An as funny as it looks and sounds...it works.

Thanks for the great question!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #56 on: Dec 02, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Still no "hard facts" or user reviews?  Only "blind faith" in a new product?  You want us to compare to "others"?  How about to your own, older products, that were iron, steel and other metals.  You will never convince me that Jiffy took the path they did to make a "better" consumer product.  Why the plastic gear case when you had a great, proven metal product, if it wasn't for manufacturing costs and end product (to the consumer) price?  Maybe the engine will prove to be great.  But if R&D was done I would think you'd have some hard numbers as to horsepower and average life expectancy (hours of run time); not a "feeling" as to how it works.
Maybe you could have put your product into the hands of some real ice-fishers (not pros); well, "we are all pros here" but you know what I mean; and gotten some feedback that could be published in the form of reviews/ratings.
So was it Techumseh's demise that drove all this or was Jiffy already on the path to a new product?

See, I think the biggest issue here is that Jiffy is a well known and respected company and is/was known to have a great product in the circles of ice-fishers; and they made some "drastic" changes that folks are not just willing to "swallow.  I sincerely hope your new product retains that great product.

Myself, I was hoping for a great little 4-cycle, german designed and built engine that would put out 5 hp, coupled with a 12" auger and weigh in at 20 lbs. or less.   ;D

Offline Tommerdahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 02, 2009, 03:07 PM »
FishforPike,

We had the information posted, but it was pulled from the chat room.  In addition, I value your opinion, but in researching our competitors, you are not demanding the same information from them.  You ask several questions that have already been answered by fishermen using the product.  You believe a plastic case is worse than metal, why?  HTT has been on the market for three years with fishermen praising its benefits.  Why not the attack?

As with other parties, you are more than welcome to call or email me.  I post my real name on this site, not hiding behind a fake one; why; facts exist that permit a civil comparision conversation.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #58 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:33 PM »
Not trying to start something here, but I have been watching a few commercials for the Strikemaster with the Solo engine. Their claim to fame is that the Solo is German engineered. I haven't seen anything saying the Solo engine is manufactured in Germany. I would be interested in finding out if the Solo engines are manufactured in Germany or elsewhere. Jiffy says they are American engineered and they admit manufactured in China. I want to know where the Solo is manufactured. Until I know for sure where it is manufactured, it is anybody's game as far as I'm concerned.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #59 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:55 PM »
true

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.