Author Topic: Wisdom from the Ice  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Wisdom from the Ice
« Reply #30 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:12 PM »
It is not enough to just take a kid fishing, you have to act like a kid yourself.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:22 PM »
 ;D

Kids, like adults, need to stay warm and have FUN! (food helps, too)
An insulating board beneath your feet is a big help in a floor less shanty!
Don't be afraid to ask for some tips from fellow fisherman. Most are willing to share their expertise.

gd
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Never let the beer freeze!
always breing more food than you need   some one always shows up at dinner time
Be polite to the wardens
stay a min of 100 yard from other fishermen  uless you know them or they invite you      there is a whole lake there
Dont pee on the side of the shack  yours or esp anyone elses!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Online WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #33 on: Oct 09, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Some things you learn to appreciate with age are.

1.) Any ice fishing trip that ends with you getting off the ice alive and having your vehicle start is a good one. If you get skunked then you are 1 day closer to your next day of good fishing.

2.) If the ice conditions make you nervous, you will not enjoy fishing and therefore should not be there. There is not a fish in the world worth drowning over.

3.) Ice fishermen are a special breed of people, and we should all feel proud of the sport we enjoy so much. I do some of my deepest thinking while out there in the solitude of this sport. Winter is, by its nature due to the relative dormancy of most other life forms, a time for reflection. What do you want your life to be like, and what do you want to do and achieve before you die, those kinds of thoughts. Winter has a special appeal that beckons these types of thoughts. To me, it is the most beautiful and enjoyable season of all. There is time to ponder your place in the universe, and to contemplate whether you are really doing what is important in your life. A day on the ice without worrying about anything is cleansing for the soul. Fishing with buddies is always great, but often ice fishing is best done in total solitude, and by that I mean on a remote pond or reservoir where you see nobody. The last thing I want to experience before I die is not a July evening with fireflies, but a -20 night with a full moon shining brightly off of a foot of freshly fallen powdery snow.

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline bigred1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 09, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Be friendly to everyone on the ice, and be respectful. Strike up a friendly conversation, and offer a beer. You might just get some really good info.

Dont fish on top of someone else. nothing cranks me up faster than someones ice chips hitting my fishouse. I will crawl directly up your azz for doing this (Im 6-6 and 300 muscular lbs) so respect me by not fishing on top of me. Its illegal here anyways to be closer than 10 feet.

If you see someone struggling hand drilling holes, dont be afraid to open them a few holes. did this about 6 times last year. Turned down the money that was offered, but got a couple free beers out of the deal.

Take the kids once in a while, there is nothing better than watching the smiles on their faces when they catch something.

HAVE FUN!!!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #35 on: Oct 09, 2009, 05:55 PM »
when your sitting down jigging over a hole always check your lap before you stand up

don't store your bait in a warm water and then put them on a hook in nearly freezing water

never leave the heater on in a portable shanty when its not occupied

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Oct 09, 2009, 06:13 PM »
Never put your hand held GPS on the front passenger seat and your styro bait bucket on the floor in front of this seat.   One emergency stop and the lids flys forward and so does your GPS.    My minnows did not care for the disruption and my GPS, did not like the water.

Bring the kids as much as you can, but when you do, be ready to leave. Try to make the experience as much fun as possible, but not to pressure them so much. I cannot count how many small trips I have made with my kids, but each trip is getting longer and more frequent.

Offline bigpileofcrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IN GOD I TRUST!
« Reply #37 on: Oct 09, 2009, 06:19 PM »
Bring extra beer, someone always forgets theirs and wants yours, you'll be shorthanded.

Never tell your wife what lake you'll be on, she can and will find you, end of fun. Tell a trust worthy friend instead.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #38 on: Oct 09, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Always remember how eager you were for the ice to arrive when you are thinking about leaving for home. A couple of hours of slow fishing on the ice beats a few months of no fishing on the ice.

Always have a camera with you.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:27 PM »
leave disapointment, and frustration on shore, and leave fun on the ice.....if no fish show up, enjoy whats around you.....also get to know and help people on the ice you fish around, you may get a few tips, and some help later on......great thread!! :thumbsup:
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:30 PM »
  Let a newbie borrow spare gear the first time, they just might get hooked on this great sport.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #41 on: Oct 09, 2009, 09:04 PM »
* pick up after yourself and others

* close your eyes, take a deep breath and savor the time in the outdoors

* yell "fish on" when you catch one before your buddies!!

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Oct 09, 2009, 09:55 PM »
If you don't have pictures, no one will believe you. You may as well tell everyone you married a Sasquatch, because they will believe that before they believe you caught and released a trophy fish.

Sometimes a really good picture is as good as taxidermy. With today's technology, you can hang a really nice 8x10 photo on your wall for a few bucks. I am working on covering one whole wall in my living room with pictures of the fish and fun that my boys and I enjoy. In the last year I added a 40'' northern that I caught, and a lady fish that my son James caught in the Gulf off Padre Island TX.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #43 on: Oct 10, 2009, 07:41 AM »
I am working on covering one whole wall in my living room with pictures of the fish and fun that my boys and I enjoy. In the last year I added a 40'' northern that I caught, and a lady fish that my son James caught in the Gulf off Padre Island TX.

Nice fish. Great idea to capture the moment and have them displayed somewhere everyone will enjoy them. Good times and memories.
I have the same thing going on, on the outside of my bobhouse. I print sticker pictures of anyone on Newfound lake (ice fishing only) with their catch and in the moment. I have the front side of my house done and now working on the sides. It'll take years to cover but that's the idea. Collage the outside of my house and fun to look at.
If anyone is ever on Newfound lake, holler out to us on the FRS motorola's channel 5.5, maybe we can get a picture, add it to the house.

JIGGIN.  

ps: Funny comment about the Sasquatch.

Offline bigred1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Oct 10, 2009, 08:20 AM »
If you don't have pictures, no one will believe you. You may as well tell everyone you married a Sasquatch, because they will believe that before they believe you caught and released a trophy fish.

Sometimes a really good picture is as good as taxidermy. With today's technology, you can hang a really nice 8x10 photo on your wall for a few bucks. I am working on covering one whole wall in my living room with pictures of the fish and fun that my boys and I enjoy. In the last year I added a 40'' northernp that I caught, and a lady fish that my son James caught in the Gulf off Padre Island TX.
being from mn, I know some guys around here aren't lying about marrying sasquatch, lol

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #45 on: Oct 10, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Here's a few that stick in my mind :

1:  extra batteries for the lights and camera.
2:  extra food
3:  Do a short trip to a lake near your home as the first of the year, you will always forget something.
4:  If you need it for regular fishing and ice fishing, you may as well by two and keep one in your ice gear.
5:  Be nice to kids on the ice (even if they are not yours) they are the future of the sport.
6:  Help those in need, you never know when the favor will be returned.

Good thread,

Wiener

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Oct 10, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Wait until you see the locals driving their trucks out onto the ice before driving your
truck out onto the ice. 

MD

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #47 on: Oct 10, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Don't get caught out on the ice in a whiteout with out a compass in your pocket. :o

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Oct 10, 2009, 04:49 PM »
Lock your snowmobile/ATV tie downs in the cab of your pickup, or you may need to figure out how to get your snowmobile/ATV home without tie downs.

Don't get caught out on the ice in a white out with out a compass in your pocket. :o

A big lake plus ice fog equals big trouble! When you are fishing in the spring, always monitor the visibility when it gets near dark. The thawing during the day condensates in the air and creates the thickest fog you could ever imagine at night. It is scary as heck to be 3 miles out on Mille Lacs Lake in the dark with fog so thick that you cant see five feet in front of you. It is disorienting and can panic the coolest head. A GPS is a lifesaver in this type of situation, but a compas is a the final line of defense. A couple friends of mine had to shut their snowmobiles off one night and wait for the sun to come up because they got so lost on that lake.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 12, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Don't fish with Bubblehead !  ::)

That's too funny there.  :woot:
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline sport masterson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ceritifed in C.P.R - Catch Photo Release
« Reply #50 on: Oct 13, 2009, 09:42 PM »
It doesn't matter how far you are from home or how well you think you know where you are fishing...always turn around to get the vex. 

The Green Hornet has caught more fish than you've lied about.

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Oct 14, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Never ever forget to bring plenty of canned goods, and a cooler and koozies to make sure they flow well ;D

Offline Trev

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trust yer jiggin hand!
« Reply #52 on: Oct 14, 2009, 02:20 PM »
always bring jumper cables and a tow strap/chain

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #53 on: Oct 14, 2009, 07:54 PM »
Keep my mother out of this!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Oct 14, 2009, 07:57 PM »
always bring jumper cables and a tow strap/chain

Or the shovel!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 14, 2009, 09:12 PM »
tire chains
bucket-o-sand
several friends to help push when you get stuck
come-along
signal flares
gps
cell phone
survival suit
extra blankets
water proof matches
100 proof something or other
TP
awww heck, just stay home!

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #56 on: Oct 14, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Always remember the KEYS for the fish house!
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #57 on: Oct 15, 2009, 12:32 AM »
It doesn't matter how far you are from home or how well you think you know where you are fishing...always turn around to get the vex. 
SO TRUE!!  SO TRUE!!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #58 on: Oct 15, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Make a list for tip up fishing and for jigging and stick them up on the fridge.  Before you head out the door you can  check the list over quickly to see if you forgot anything.  f-n-f

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Oct 15, 2009, 06:22 AM »
Always have an old t-shirt as part of your layers, eventually you will forget the toilet paper.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.