The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: State Derby Is It Time To Re-Think It  (Read 16171 times)

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
Re: State Derby Is It Time To Re-Think It
« Reply #150 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Understood.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:53 AM »
There are going to be some nice size pike in sabattus when its all said and done.There are some people that just cant see the light 8)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #152 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:23 PM »
I believe that this post is getting tooo nasty as Jim isnt advocating for just pike he is advocating for all fishermen and I dont think Ive heard him call someone out using  bad names
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #153 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:29 PM »
He can call me all the names he wants. It doesn't matter. It is really all he has since he has no argument, he can't prove anything he says. They say if your getting flack you must be over the target.  ;D ;D ;D

My opinion is that he is just trying to get the topic locked so it will go away. Information and truth are dangerous to those that have been getting their way with IF&W on this pike issue. They don't want it out there. Fact is I have copies of e-mails from TU and DDAS advocating for removal of all pike regulations sitting right here on my desk. All obtained via FIOA requests to the DFIW.

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Hazzy – rotenone has worked on many waters in the state (including Durepo).  Problem is a couple of years after the largemouth were killed there, some dill hole hit the pond with smallmouth!  All that work and money spent for nothing.  And that is the problem with chemical reclamations – just too easy for people to ‘undo’ with a bait can full of young of the year.  If someone wants ‘em in there, it seems they’ll get ‘em in there…   

The way we are going we will end up with pike in all waters in 20 years. It is nearly inevitable unless drastic action is undertaken.

JimP – I’ve heard you say this before and just don’t understand what you mean I guess.  What course of action do you suggest that will prevent pike from spreading?  I guess I don’t see how ‘managing’ pike in waters where they are already established is going to prevent the spread?  Fish are just too easy to move around, and NOBODY that I know of has ever been busted for it.  IF&W managing for trophy pike would be music to the ears of whoever planted them in the first place!  (And might even encourage increased spreading – the ‘If you build it, they will come’ sort of mentality).  I don’t fault anyone for fishing for them where they are (why not!), but manage for trophies?  No thanks.  It seems to me there are plenty of ‘trophy’ pike here already (without any protection from the state).  If someone wants to fish where the state manages for big pike, that’s great – I just hope Maine is never that state.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:32 PM »
He can call me all the names he wants. It doesn't matter. It is really all he has since he has no argument, he can't prove anything he says. They say if your getting flack you must be over the target.  ;D ;D ;D

My opinion is that he is just trying to get the topic locked so it will go away. Information and truth are dangerous to those that have been getting their way with IF&W on this pike issue. They don't want it out there.

they will just dellete what they dont want on here as far as bad post ive had a couple say bye bye ::)

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Twist it all you want----the only name ive ever called you jim is a pike lover ;D ;D ;D

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #157 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:35 PM »
the only name ive ever called you jim is a pike lover ;D ;D ;D

Nothing wrong with being a pike lover  ;D

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Twist it all you want----the only name ive ever called you jim is a pike lover ;D ;D ;D

you said call me whatever you want and so on but i dint no you so i wont ;Dyour allowed to ur opinion

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #159 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:36 PM »
I would be happy if we did what Alaska is doing. Eradication where possible, Management where appropriate. If you would read the document we could discuss specifics, unless you accept the premise they put forth it is hard to get your head around because some of their findings are counter-intuitive.

IF&W managing for trophy pike would be music to the ears of whoever planted them in the first place!  (And might even encourage increased spreading – the ‘If you build it, they will come’ sort of mentality).

This is pure speculation in my opinion, I am aware of no studies that show a cause and effect relationship.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:37 PM »
Nothing wrong with being a pike lover  ;D

sounds like AA im one to :D

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #161 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:38 PM »
I'm not a pike lover, I think I am a realist.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:39 PM »
I would be happy if we did what Alaska is doing. Eradication where possible, Management where appropriate. If you would read the document we could discuss specifics, unless you accept the premise they put forth it is hard to get your head around because some of their findings are counter-intuitive.

This is pure speculation in my opinion, I am aware of no studies that show a cause and effect relationship.

boy i wish i new what you did.were did you learn all this?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #163 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:39 PM »
Hazzy – rotenone has worked on many waters in the state (including Durepo).  Problem is a couple of years after the largemouth were killed there, some dill hole hit the pond with smallmouth!  All that work and money spent for nothing.  And that is the problem with chemical reclamations – just too easy for people to ‘undo’ with a bait can full of young of the year.  If someone wants ‘em in there, it seems they’ll get ‘em in there…   

still alot of largemouths there sad to say   but it being so harsh a chemical it did wipe out the trout esp the ones in the brook adjacent to my house that feed off that lake  
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:39 PM »
Hows the non smoking going terry ??  I broke down this morning.  Only have had two today though

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #165 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Hows the non smoking going terry ??  I broke down this morning.  Only have had two today though

NOOOOOOOOO CHEATING

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:47 PM »
You keep talking about pike management in alaska --- are you aware jim that pike are native to Alaska but not to  Maine?

I just love how people like jim come from away and tell us mainers how we should manage our fish  ??? ??? ???

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #167 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:52 PM »
You keep talking about pike management in alaska --- are you aware jim that pike are native to Alaska but not to  Maine?

I just love how people like jim come from away and tell us mainers how we should manage our fish  ??? ??? ???

im from Maine and i agree with Jim and im sure you dont like that.And tell me what is Jim like do you no him or met him?

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #168 on: Mar 11, 2009, 12:58 PM »
the person who started this thread LOVES to catch crappie correct? Why is it alright to show pictures of a pile of crappie day in and day out but somehow what went on this weekend on Sabbatus is wrong?? no offense Bee.... But those crappie showed up somehow right?? and don't tell me they slid thru feathers to get into the lakes and ponds.....
JIMP,
What makes you think the pike will not be transported to other watersheds?? I believe if you start regulating the PIKE it will be just as BBPINECONE just stated... Oh well.... looks like the state thinks its alright to have them here why not put a few over here and a few over here, now you have every watershed in Maine that has them.
I know I am personally sick and tired of this post, everyone has their own opinion about this subject and everyone has a right to voice it....
If you trully believe that PIKE are good for Maine then in my opinion you are sadly mistaken.... i believe the pike were introduced by people who couldn't catch a fish in a fish hatchery... they needed something to brag about when they went fishing....
I'm done with this...
my .02

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:00 PM »
livinbass
 I know only what i read---you are for pike?--i would have never guessed--do you make money on them?

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #170 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:02 PM »
I cant catch fish

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:02 PM »
I am a pike lover and I admit it but to tell you the truth all I am starting to read is BLAH BLAH BLAH He said She Said BLAH BLAH BLAH !!!!!

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:03 PM »
I cant catch fish(Image removed from quote.)

What that wasnt in a hatchery ???

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:03 PM »
livinbass
 I know only what i read---you are for pike?--i would have never guessed--do you make money on them?

ive never made a dime catching pike why?

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #174 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:04 PM »
What makes you think they will? Flag, do you read my posts? How many more times do I have to say I don't think pike are good. I am perfectly willing to consider the cause and effect relationships you guys keep referring to about regulations rewarding folks. Got any studies to demonstrate this?

The comment about folks not being able to catch fish is way out there. I could post hundreds of pictures of salmon, trout, steelhead, sharks, bass, pike, crappie, perch. So what. I recon I have fished with some of the best and have held my own. Way off the mark, Mark...  ;D

Oh Ice,  Pike are only native to a few watersheds in Alaska. They are dealing with many of the same issues as we are... But, you already knew that. Nice job playing the flat card. Guess I'm hitting the target... ;D

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:05 PM »
What that wasnt in a hatchery ???

No but these were ;D

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #176 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:06 PM »
What makes you think they will? Flag, do you read my posts? How many more times do I have to say I don't think pike are good. I am perfectly willing to consider the cause and effect relationships you guys keep referring to about regulations rewarding folks. Got any studies to demonstrate this?

The comment about folks not being able to catch fish is way out there. I could post hundreds of pictures of salmon, trout, steelhead, sharks, bass, pike, crappie, perch. So what. I recon I have fished with some of the best and have held my own. Way off the mark, Mark...  ;D
That was not towards you JIM I was reffering to the bucket bio's.....

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:08 PM »
this tuna might of come from one not sure but i cant fish if i like to catch pike nope not at all

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #178 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Sorry Mark, Understood. I'm a little sensitive to that... My bad. I gotta go to work. Play nice.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #179 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:11 PM »
boy i wish i new what you did.were did you learn all this?

try reading the links he keeps posting 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.