Author Topic: jiffy or eskimo ???  (Read 3496 times)

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: jiffy or eskimo ???
« Reply #30 on: Mar 14, 2009, 09:22 AM »
I would have to agree with the conclusion on the Husqvarna.  These are fantastic machines.  Always start and always idle.  Plus you use 50:1 instead of 25:1 oil mix.  Not crazy about the blades on these, would be better if they had a chipper setup like the Jiffy's and Strikemaster.  People sat you can sharpen the laser blades, but I have yet to see them as good as new.

I think Normark? sells the same machine, just under their name.  Looks like Techumseh went to the a newer style motor on the Eskimo's.

Jiffys (really any of the old Techumseh motors) seem to require regular TLC and are very sensitive to bad gas (old gas and water).  I saw I commercial fisherman pee on the carb of a Jiffy once to get the carb warmed up enough to start!  :D

Offline TinmanDon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "LeGyver"
« Reply #31 on: Mar 14, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I would have to agree with the conclusion on the Husqvarna.  These are fantastic machines.  Always start and always idle.  Plus you use 50:1 instead of 25:1 oil mix.  Not crazy about the blades on these, would be better if they had a chipper setup like the Jiffy's and Strikemaster.  People sat you can sharpen the laser blades, but I have yet to see them as good as new.

I beg to differ, I have the stainless laser blades on my Eskimo, had them sharpened by Luke's Machinery and they are even sharper than when they were new, maybe you didn't bring them to the right place

Offline gillishammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy fishy
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2009, 12:36 AM »
well tried out the new eskimo mako and gotta say thumbs up.well worth $370  drilled 10 holes lickity split and pulled out greenbacks from every one .very happy with our eskimo
GILLISHAMMER

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2009, 09:51 AM »
I beg to differ, I have the stainless laser blades on my Eskimo, had them sharpened by Luke's Machinery and they are even sharper than when they were new, maybe you didn't bring them to the right place

Must be the place I'm taking them to.  The lazer augers have a curved blade and that curved edge must be sharpened with a special fixture to sharpen them properly.  I never tried Luke's Machinery, but I'll given them a whirl.  What do they charge for a set?

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Wait till next fall strike master and jiffy are coming out with new power heads.
Hard Ice

Offline TinmanDon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "LeGyver"
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2009, 06:24 PM »

Must be the place I'm taking them to.  The lazer augers have a curved blade and that curved edge must be sharpened with a special fixture to sharpen them properly.  I never tried Luke's Machinery, but I'll given them a whirl.  What do they charge for a set?

Luke's sharpens the lazer blades and do a heck of a good job too...$12 plus taxes for both

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.