New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: weird catch!!!  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Dawg05

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: weird catch!!!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:29 PM »
If you fish owasco for lakers you're bound to catch a few.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2009, 09:14 PM »
You can also catch them on Sacandaga, within sight of the Northvile Bridge. A 13 incher won a guy $100.00 in last years Food & Fuel Tourney. I got one that was 8". I pulled up a bait, just a routine check, no flag, and he was hanging onto the bait, eating it, not even hooked. WEIRD creatures!

Offline d.e.a.f.g.u.y

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 25, 2009, 09:51 AM »

caught this out of sylvan beach off the pier

JJ

« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2009, 05:05 PM »
You can also catch them on Sacandaga, within sight of the Northvile Bridge. A 13 incher won a guy $100.00 in last years Food & Fuel Tourney. I got one that was 8". I pulled up a bait, just a routine check, no flag, and he was hanging onto the bait, eating it, not even hooked. WEIRD creatures!

That's not legal, they are protected by law, from DEC website:

Snakes, Lizards, and Salamanders
You may not harvest, take, or possess any native snakes, lizards, or salamanders at any time.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2009, 05:41 PM »
That's not legal, they are protected by law, from DEC website:

Snakes, Lizards, and Salamanders
You may not harvest, take, or possess any native snakes, lizards, or salamanders at any time.

You're right ... see for yourselves:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/36394.html

Offline Jimmyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2009, 05:50 PM »
took my son fishing sunday out of lewis pt. he wanted to use minnows on a plain hook and i was using a sonar,all of a sudden there was weight on my rod,i set the hook and brought it up.i saw2 what it was and said holy cow its got legs .then i realised it was a mud puppy  it was about ten inches long its gills sticking out all over. man was it ugly. i ended up not hooking it its leg was cought in the bend of the hook. it went back down the hole.

I caught one in the fall of 1982 at Sodus.  I was with two buddies from work and we were catching perch on minnows when I hooked into this thing.  It scared the crap out of me.  My one buddy used to be a guide in the islands and he knew right away what it was.  We let it go.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2009, 04:18 AM »
Looks like an evolved salamander. Or the thing that salamanders evolved from. 

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #37 on: Feb 27, 2009, 11:42 AM »
I would guess the later ... they look like they've been around for a while.  Note the external gills ... their gills are close to their body in highly oxygenated water ... but the grow outwards and increase in size in waters with low oxygen levels.  Kinda like the roots of a tree.

Offline cazhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2009, 03:13 PM »
We caught one on Owasco Lake Sunday in 170 FOW.  We were checking the tip ups and winding it up - pretty big surprise as it got right at the hole - never knew he was on.  My son had fun with it for a while and we put it back.  I was most surprised that he never tripped the tip up and he had just about swallowed the buck eye.  Wish I had a camera with me.  One word of caution, if you handle them your hands will stink -its kind of a bitter smell that even with soap doesnt wash off well.

Cazhunter
Take a kid fishing.  Someday they may take you too.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2009, 04:16 PM »
They do stink ... worse than pike but it doesn't wash off your hands easily.  Try something acidic like orange or tomato juice, I've been told that works well.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:08 AM »
we call 'em  water dawgs around here.   ;) i was always told they were poison. if you catch one,  throw your hook away because fish won't bite on it after you catch one. old wives tales. clean water, i don't know. used to catch 'em in some nasty looking water. i've heard they're on the endangered list in some states. there may be different species of them. they say they don't get real big, but when i was a kid, i found a dead one almost 3 ft long.
  I'm guessing that would be a hellabender...look um up

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:02 PM »
The Eastern Hellbender (Cryptobranchus Alleganiensis) is a different subspecies than the Common Mudpuppy (Necturus Maculosus) ... both are aquatic salamanders of the family Proteidae.  Mudpuppies are very common here in NY, but the Hellbender is not.  I believe they are both similar in size but the Hellbenders range does not extend to upstate NY.  If you catch one here in the capitol region ... it is more than likely a common Mudpuppy.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:42 PM »
not a mudpuppy expert but don't hellbenders live in southern waters????

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #43 on: Mar 01, 2009, 01:08 PM »
Yes ... they are found in NY but are very rare.  You definitely won't find them upstate ... If somebody catches one of these amphibians in NY I'd say it's a Mudpuppy.  Mudpuppies are very common here in upstate NY as many of you know.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Mar 01, 2009, 01:16 PM »
if i remeber correctly hellbenders get bigger i never got one down south but my sone did ,mud puppys,water dogs,dog fish what ever you want  to call them  you get a lot of them bullhead fishing ,sandy pond area has  a lot of them,interesting animals
                                                                                                                     trap

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #45 on: Mar 01, 2009, 01:20 PM »
They are very interesting indeed ... I don't think I could tell the difference between a Hellbender or a Mudpuppy ... I just know Hellbenders aren't around here.  I'm still learning ...

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2009, 03:34 PM »
The Eastern Hellbender (Cryptobranchus Alleganiensis) is a different subspecies than the Common Mudpuppy (Necturus Maculosus) ... both are aquatic salamanders of the family Proteidae.  Mudpuppies are very common here in NY, but the Hellbender is not.  I believe they are both similar in size but the Hellbenders range does not extend to upstate NY.  If you catch one here in the capitol region ... it is more than likely a common Mudpuppy.
  The guy i quoted was from Ohio, and mudpuppies don't get three feet long

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2009, 06:28 PM »
mud puppies are a type of salamander my company actully sells them.  both live and preserved to schools.  the largest salamander known to man lives in the mississippi delta and can get close to 36 inches mud puppies (nectures) dont get that big.  non toxic and very sensitive to problems with water quality.  actully do better with a little bit of salt in the water.
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 06, 2009, 04:24 AM »
mud puppies are a type of salamander my company actully sells them.  both live and preserved to schools.  the largest salamander known to man lives in the mississippi delta and can get close to 36 inches mud puppies (nectures) dont get that big.  non toxic and very sensitive to problems with water quality.  actully do better with a little bit of salt in the water.

Salamander. I guessed right! And sensitive to water quality you say, also good. That river passes throught some industrial areas, and it's good to hear they are surviving.         

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2009, 09:02 AM »
     Largest salamander in the world is an Asian species, Japanese I believe, and is truly a monster. The Hellbender is the largest in North America.

Spin

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 06, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Spin, you're right. The japanese water dragon can be up tp 6 feet long and lives in cold water streams in the mountains of japan.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.