Author Topic: Report from LML  (Read 15610 times)

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
Re: Report from LML
« Reply #30 on: Feb 28, 2009, 01:15 PM »
Any word on the burbot yet?  Can't get out today, correcting papers, but might make the drive tomorrow if they have started biting.
Thanks  :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline TMRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 28, 2009, 06:15 PM »
I'd like to head to Pelican point next weekend but I don't have an extension for my auger.  I won't need one there, will I?  Also, can you access the ice right at Pelican point or do you have to come on at Regina Beach and drive over on the lake? 
BTW was the fishing really slow today or was it just me? I was out on Echo and Pasqua and all I got was cold!

Offline Fishin34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • C&R
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:24 AM »
it is borderline extension time, we were bottoming out yesterday, just getting through. if u have one, bring it for the piece of mind. slow day as well,  no fish for us, but we were only out about 3 hours. heard lots of reports about people seeing burbot moving in on the cameras, so that should be good. good luck to anyone heading out today

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2009, 03:35 PM »
When we were at Pelican Point it was almost extention time.
Like Fishin34 said I would bring one just to be safe. ;)

Most of the folks I saw as well as ourselves accessed the lake just East of the point in the village of Pelican Point.
I also saw a few who drove down the lake on a trail from what looked like Sunset Cove area.
I only saw snowmachines come all the way down the lake from Regina Beach area.

WW

Offline TMRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Thanks guys - Unfortunately, I don't have an extension. :(  Looks I will stick with the QuAppelle lakes for next weekend.  I'm not going to drive out to LML just to find out I can't get through the ice.  How long do you guys think it will be before the ice begins to thin out? 

Offline Fishin34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • C&R
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:43 PM »
WW any luck at Pelican this weekend?  Found it to be a pretty slow weekend, was really hoping to get a burbot, but no luck. The only thing I hooked into was an 8 pound pike, 35 inches. Just as I was packing up I saw my tip up jerk in the shack, but the flag didnt pop, so i was just checking my bait, when I thought, "I should take a peak outside and see if it grabbed my other one". Sure enough the flag was up. Wanted to take a pic, but we wanted to weigh her and take the lenght, so thought it would be better to get it back in the water before it was too late.

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Slow day on Sunday.  Picked up one female burbot around 6 lbs and saw a few pike on the camera...hoping it will be better by next weekend.  Oh well, I got one feed of burbot for a nice day out on the ice.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:31 PM »
WW any luck at Pelican this weekend?  Found it to be a pretty slow weekend, was really hoping to get a burbot, but no luck. The only thing I hooked into was an 8 pound pike, 35 inches. Just as I was packing up I saw my tip up jerk in the shack, but the flag didn't pop, so i was just checking my bait, when I thought, "I should take a peak outside and see if it grabbed my other one". Sure enough the flag was up. Wanted to take a pic, but we wanted to weigh her and take the length, so thought it would be better to get it back in the water before it was too late.

Hi Fishin34,
Unfortunately, I didn't do any fishing at all this weekend.
Nice pike you found though. :)

That's a good eating size burbot good going Pants. 8)

WW

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 09, 2009, 02:57 PM »
Burbot were just starting to move in on Sunday afternoon.  Iced 1, lost 4 at the hole and the kids counted 15 on the camera in a 2 hour sit...I would think that if we get some nice weather this week the spawn should kick into high gear.  The kids also saw a couple of nice pike cruising just off the point...tip ups should start firing sonn aswell.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:06 PM »
Do any of you have any reports for the North end of LML, say around the regional park or Arlington Beach area? :-\

WW

Offline Flames Fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a trail to get on at Collingwood?

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 18, 2009, 12:40 AM »
Hi all,

Burbot, dog fish, maria,lingcod, eelpout or just plain pout, no matter what you call them they were the targets of my 2 most recent fishing adventures.

Day 1. March 13th.
The first fishing adventure took place on lucky Friday the 13th. :woot: 

My uncle and I went to the South end of Last Mountain Lake and Pelican Pointe.

The weather was nice with a mix of sun, cloud and +1 C / 33.8 F temps.

There were a few anglers out so we set up a little ways away and started fishing. For the first hour and a half there was no action on the camera or our lines. :unsure:   

We then moved 300 feet over from an angler who was having good luck.
He invited us to set up in the general area he was and started catching burbot also.
Another angler joined us, pretty soon all a 4 of us were into fish.
It was a nice afternoon of making new friends and learning new tips. :) 

In the end my uncle and I caught 6 burbot, 4 for me 2 for my uncle. :tipup: 
We also lost 2 burbot and had one pike bite me off.

We kept 5 for some good fish meals to come. ;)

The fish weighed in at, 4.4lbs, 4.4lbs, 4.8lbs, 6.3lbs, and my big one at 7.4lbs / 29 inches. 
I also released one 2.5 lber not shown.

Day 2. March 14th.
After seeing our success, a buddy of mine decided to join us on our next burbot adventure.
It was another nice day at Pelican Pointe with temps into the +3 deg C / 37.4 F  range, no wind and sunny skies.

There was a good crowd on the ice, so we set up in the only open spot near our previous location.

It was a good choice and at about 20 min into the day I had a burbot iced.

This action continued off and on throughout the day with my buddy icing 2, myself 4 and my uncle has only fished for burbot twice icing 5.  We also lost 6 burbot and 1 pike.

Here is the days action.

My buddies biggest fish.
7.4lbs

My fish.
7.4lbs

6.6lbs

6.8lbs, this one was more yellow and brown instead of the usual green and brown.

This is my new Personal Best. ;D

It is a Sask. Master Angler burbot at 10.5lbs and 32 inches. 

Some double header action, 4.8lbs and 4.7lbs.

My uncle's fish.
5.9lbs

4.2lbs

5.5 lbs

He also caught the big fish of the day. :tipup: 
It was his new Personal Best for burbot.

This burbot was another Sask. Master Angler at 11.2 lbs and 31. 8)

Interestingly enough both Both Master Angler burbot were male.

On the first day I saw 12 burbot, 3 pike and a white sucker on camera.
On day 2 I saw 23 burbot and 1 whitefish.

The current was quite strong around Pelican Ponte so I went to the down viewing mode on the camera in the same hole I fished out of.

I saw some interesting behavior while viewing. It seems the burbot were more apt to grab the lure when there was some competition from the other fish. A few changed direction swimming by backing up and 2 went into what I think were breeding behavior on top of and around my lure. :P

The water temp was a chilly 32 F.

The burbot hit on jigs / minnows, jigs / Berkley gulp alive minnows, smelts, Berkley gulp maggots, a white multi tail lure and storm wildeye swim shads.
The line on my rod was 6lb test.

All in all it was a burbot bonanza on the ice with good company,good fishing and good weather, what more could an angler ask for. ;)2

WW  

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 18, 2009, 01:03 AM »
nice report there Water Wolf... those are some nice looking burbot... im going to have to get out there and try to get in on the action.

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #43 on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:46 AM »
nice catch WW, hey did you by chance drive across the ice to PP? did you go from Regina Beach?
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline jigginfool55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 18, 2009, 03:49 PM »
down here in N.H. we call those fish Cusk they are a freshwater cousin of the salt water cod fish

Offline jigginfool55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 18, 2009, 03:53 PM »
by the way the burbot as you call them faveorite food is cray fish the bigger the better.

Offline TMRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 18, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Saskman - You should be able to get there from Regina Beach.  I had no trouble getting there from Regina Beach on Sunday and there was a lot more snow then than there is now.  I got two burbot.  Some others around me didn't get anything, but some were pulling out a lot of burbot!!!!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Thanks guys, it was a fun 2 days on the ice. :)
They are indeed in the PP area but they seem to be quite consentrated.
If you are having little action keep moving until you find them, even a few hundred feet can make a difference.
Once you do find them, you should be good for the day. ;)

Your right jigginfool55 these burbot were no different, they love crayfish.
One angler said he opened the stomachs of a few of the burbot he caught and they were generally full of crayfish {some still alive} a few shiny rocks an odd perch and many many long tapeworms. :sick:

I also heard from an angler that you can get to PP from Regian Beach.
We accessed the lake via the PP boat launch on the E side of the PP community.
It was a well beaten trail with everyone removing their shacks. :laugh:

WW

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:05 PM »
i also had that... slit the stomach and was full of crayfish... 9 were still alive... buddy also got one and i slit the belly and it had my hook that i lost 3 weeks before in the exact same spot ... thought it was pretty crazy that it was caught again only 4 feet from where i lost the fish three weeks before ... have to work at arlington beach at like 10:30 so was just wondering if it would be best to fish pelican in the morning or just go to rowans/collingwood.. will only be able to fish from 6:30-9;30 am ... any suggestions?

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #49 on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:44 PM »
is it legal to use crayfish as bait? if so look out next winter..............
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 19, 2009, 01:54 AM »
yah your allowed to use crayfish as long as they originated in saskatchewan

Offline Novy12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 19, 2009, 09:32 AM »
had a good evening fish last night, got out to the lake around 4:30 had my limit of walleye by 5:30 home by 6:45.  Got home cleaned em all up and had them for supper.  They all weighed around the 3 pound mark

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:39 AM »
good job there novy 12...cant complain about a limit of walleye in an hour... you pick them up out deep or were they movin in to feed

Offline Leroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 19, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Novy - what part of LML were you fishing?  Is an auger extension needed?

Offline Fishin34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • C&R
« Reply #54 on: Mar 19, 2009, 08:25 PM »
WW- those were some nice burbot, I havent had a day like that on LML for a while now, hopefully this saturday though-- I can feel the fish coming.  Still want to make it out for some eyes as well, especially after hearing novy limited out so quick. good work guys

Offline Novy12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 20, 2009, 09:34 AM »
eyecatcher,  I sent you a message so check your personal messages.

Offline Novy12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Mar 20, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Hey guys,  I went back out to the same holes I was fishing on Wednesday last night.  The fishing was still awesome.  I ended up catching 8 eyes in an hour and lost about four.  Brought home 5 nice ones around the 2 and a half pound mark.  I had to go out and try it again as those walleye were so good.................. ...............just like candy.............ha ha ha and yes you do need an extension to fish this area

Offline Novy12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 20, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Sorry to put down three posts in a row but I just had to tell you guys about this.  a buddy of mine was fishing out infront of Alyse Beach on the weekend, put his camera down were a shack had just been towed off and guess what was down there................. ...........A whole winters worth of beer bottles sitting on the bottom.  I do not know what is wrong with people!!  Give your head a shake!!  If you want to have a beer on the lake, that is fine but atleast take your bottles home with you, it is not that hard.  If everybody did that we wouldn't have lakes, we would have landfills.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #58 on: Mar 20, 2009, 10:23 AM »
I'd be talking to the CO. I bet he knows who's shack was there... and he would probably love to have a word with the owner.

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 20, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I am off to Cypress Hills to fish for some brookies and browns through the ice this weekend...look forward to reading the updates on LML, particularily around Regina Beach.  I would love to get one more good day of burbot fishing in before the season ends. Enjoy your weekend and good luck!  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.