New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: MUD BAY WALLEYES?  (Read 23753 times)

Offline MrPike

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: MUD BAY WALLEYES?
« Reply #90 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Besides,  there arent any walleye to be caught in Mud Bay... ;)

Offline Walleye_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Mar 07, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Besides,  there arent any walleye to be caught in Mud Bay... ;)

atleast not this year i would say, it has been depressing.
Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat.

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #92 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Just gotta know where to look boys!! 
I can smell a perch a mile away...

Offline MrPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Mar 07, 2011, 01:27 PM »
Nice fish.... poor advertising   :'(   

Good job though.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I fished mud bay 2 years ago and  lost 2 nice eyes on blow ice. I did get a 7# but was wondering what do you do when your line is stuck on ice drifting underneath. anyone ever had this happen?
Budweiser pro staff

Offline MrPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Mar 09, 2011, 06:40 AM »
I fished mud bay 2 years ago and  lost 2 nice eyes on blow ice. I did get a 7# but was wondering what do you do when your line is stuck on ice drifting underneath. anyone ever had this happen?

Pray ..............    :)

Offline wally chaser 3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:16 AM »
We haven't had that problem the last 2yrs but I always just brought a 6ft bar to move the chunks, or kept drilling holes til I could get down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:31 AM »
We haven't had that problem the last 2yrs but I always just brought a 6ft bar to move the chunks, or kept drilling holes til I could get down

that is how we do it ladies and gentlemen, that is how we do it  :p

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:21 AM »
I got down ok my problem didnt happen until I hooked a fish. half way up then hung up.held tight then released slack fish gone. happened twice then finally landed the third. wish i could have seen those first two real heavy!
Budweiser pro staff

Offline wally chaser 3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Gotcha, never had that happen, let alone twice. That problem seems unavoidable when the ice is like that. Heartbreaker. Icebergs the size of a small car under the ice is a problem I don't miss.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Mar 10, 2011, 08:09 PM »
ice blew out today... looks like we didnt make it till the end this year. :'(

Offline tiswinery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Mar 11, 2011, 06:21 PM »
last night it was myself and a friend out there ice was iffy at best waves were  moving the whole 10" slab up and down up and down.. glad we went though caught 5 in 2 hrs.. the big lake has spoken now she is done... canoe ?troll?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Mar 11, 2011, 06:34 PM »
last night it was myself and a friend out there ice was iffy at best waves were  moving the whole 10" slab up and down up and down.. glad we went though caught 5 in 2 hrs.. the big lake has spoken now she is done... canoe ?troll?

howd u fish last night with no ice.  the bay is full of chunks, good luck getting a boat in without an open launch

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:46 PM »
howd u fish last night with no ice.  the bay is full of chunks, good luck getting a boat in without an open launch

I'd be interested in hearing this one myself....methinks I smell something, and it ain't fish.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Mar 12, 2011, 08:29 PM »
I went on mud bay and fished today. Can't say it was the walleye ground, I only fished the 10 ft deep hole within the bay. I marked plenty of fish, only one dink perch was cought. The water was muddy as I expected, but wanted to try for perch or sunnys and only fished there between noon and 1 pm.

The next time I fish that spot it will be open water.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Mar 12, 2011, 09:30 PM »
I'd be interested in hearing this one myself....methinks I smell something, and it ain't fish.....

there was about 100 yards of ice still there thursday night from what i heard.  friday morning that ice was in pieces though when i checked, they fished it the night before, the night it broke... someone obviously not very experienced with the dangers of muds ice. youd never get any of us out there. glad nothing happened though and they caught some fish.  we will visit the walleyes again in may, there going on vacation tuesday . as for the rest of the season, i found where the perchys are biten and ima fillen my buckets this week   :thumbsup:

Offline tiswinery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:29 PM »
very aware of the infomouse MUD BAY ice i can precticly see it from my house and mybe beacause you dodnt see ice at YOUR spot where u fish doesnt mean my spot didnt have safe ice ;) ;D

Offline tiswinery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:32 PM »
we were the first ones on the ice and the last ones off. the only thing i smell fishy is the walley slime on my hands.... only ate one fish from mud bay this year i like catching them big eyes more than i like eating them.

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Tiswinery, you wouldn't happen to be fishing  by the campgrounds?I know they spawn up there.

Offline tiswinery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:30 PM »
i tried there on friday night but nothing marked or bit. they travel far up the creek to spawn so i would think on the right day you could catch them up i  there 9ft i the deepest i know of as of friday where there was safe ice.. thursday night we were in 20 ft and we we marking plenty of fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:45 PM »
we were the first ones on the ice and the last ones off. the only thing i smell fishy is the walley slime on my hands.... only ate one fish from mud bay this year i like catching them big eyes more than i like eating them.

I fished on it when there was just roughly 4 inches out there, I did not got back after that. It would drop from 4 to 3 to 2 to 6 and back to 3 inches, it was sketchy and that was right after it froze out to the end of dablon. The ice out there is quite unpredictable, what I ment by dangers is that there was such little ice and you said it was rolling but stayed out there on youre ice cube and braved it. After youve been on it like that and seen what happens when it breaks it takes alot to brave a night on that ice.  The ice at a point breaks and shatters, which that day it was doing, yet you still went out on it and fished it when the chances were very high that it would have shattered while on it.  Thats determination right there. By any chance did you try and attempt the canoe, and you said you just like to catch them, do you release them them or give them away?  aftr the ice goes out you can see them go under the bridge next to snug, 24/7 we see them perch fishing. we've got them up in the 10 ft before, but mostly very small fish.

Offline tiswinery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:19 PM »
i put them big eyes right back in the water and my buddies yell at me .. but them large ones are the keepers that need to stay in the water.  i have seen them spawn way up to rt 12 bridge. i am glad the season is over it is like deer season or trapping having to go EVERY day.. so hard :P ;D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Mar 15, 2011, 09:21 PM »
i put them big eyes right back in the water and my buddies yell at me .. but them large ones are the keepers that need to stay in the water.  i have seen them spawn way up to rt 12 bridge. i am glad the season is over it is like deer season or trapping having to go EVERY day.. so hard :P ;D

Thats the way to go, gotta let the big females spawn, besides the smaller males taste better they dont have all the red meat to clean off. No sense in keeping a real big one unless youre gonna mount it, i like to fish by the motto pic & release.  Fshing is very enjoyable, but it does wear alot out of ya when you go all the time especially if you hand drill your holes or pull all your stuff without a wheeler. 

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:00 PM »
havnt seen any recent reports anyone been out?thinking about going 2morrow just wondering some info!trying 2 catch the big eyes!!!!!!

Offline monsterwalleyefishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:43 PM »
anybody have a link to a depth/contur map of mud bay. and hows the ice

Offline trout sniffer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Feb 03, 2015, 05:54 AM »
any news on mud bay yet this season

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #116 on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:42 AM »
there is ice and folks are fishing it. but anyone who is catching won't talk about it on here.

Offline ditchrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:20 AM »
Go fish it and find out is all I can say about that place. I do know there are big northerns out there, I watched a guy catch one around 25# on a tip up through a six inch hole out there once. What a fight he had wit that thing. He took a pic and back down she went for another day so she may still be lurking out there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.