Author Topic: Saltwater fishing license?  (Read 3392 times)

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Saltwater fishing license?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:54 AM »
I am going to stick with my beliefe of you all are complaining over a little bit of money and having to pay to use our beautiful waters. Be happy the money will help the state. Be blessed we have the ability to use these waters and have amazing days and create memories for a lifetime.

Come on. if everyone could catch one of these more often than not. Would it be worth improving the fishery and maybe paying a coupe bucks a year.....  ;D

Of course it would!
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I am going to stick with my beliefe of you all are complaining over a little bit of money and having to pay to use our beautiful waters. Be happy the money will help the state. Be blessed we have the ability to use these waters and have amazing days and create memories for a lifetime.

Come on. if everyone could catch one of these more often than not. Would it be worth improving the fishery and maybe paying a coupe bucks a year.....  ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Of course it would!

Your missing the point. Where does all the regulations and monitoring end???? And at what cost??? There is zero value added in what "data" they are collecting.
Let me use a net and pull up my limit then regulate me. Until then a rod and reel is going to have no significant impact. Period! As for you guys complaining about people keeping shorts. Do any of you remeber when the limit was 18" can't remember if there was a qty imposed either?????? We didn't deplete the fishery then and at 28", 2 fish limit your not going to do it today. It was the people raping the spawning grounds that killed the striper population.
Open your eyes and not your wallet. I can't believe how many people are so easily convinced that by opening your wallet everything is going to be better.
Just remember for everything you give up that is one less likely you'll ever get back.

I am not for people keeping shorts, rules are rules. However catching and reporting them is not going to solve the problems in any fishery. They are not the real problem. The sooner you people wake up and realize this the more likely you'll be less apt to pay for the damage that is being done by other sectors of the fishery.

Is anyone here so informed on the damage done off the Cape every year by draggers hauling up hoards of migrating bass. I'm not talking schollies either. These are breeder stock bass.  Can anyone say seasonal area closure? Sure I bet you can..................

Where does it end $$$$$$$$$$$ ???????

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag Up! He's Stripping line"
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:34 PM »
i agree drag netting should beclosed durring the months that the bass run..im not really complaining about shorts being taken i was just stating that fish and game doesnt do there job C/O's.....Ther dont need that for research if they want to charge someone charge the netting boats...

<{{{>(~Raef Heller~)<}}}>

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:39 PM »
CaptSpike, I totally agree that the commercial fisherman are the people who ruined the fishery, without a doubt I agree. Lack of reporting, lack of enforcement caused a downward spiral in our area.

However I do believe recreational fishing does have an impact, not even close to as large as commercial but it does impact us.

Did you know there are over 3,000,000 striper fisherman from SC to ME, 3 million people. You are telling me that 3 million people annually have no impact at all on the fishery, not the slightest bit? Of course commercial fishing has damaged it badly but recreational fisherman also contribute to a portion of it.

Lastly I will also agree with you that there will be flaws in this system, it will not be 100% perfect at all. But it will help us out I truly believe, again this is my opinion of course.

Time will tell how much good it does and how much modifications they will have to make to it

Offline PHISHN-NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:20 PM »
A good reason to not have the liscence is b/c of guys like me.  I wont buy it, period!  I may use a party boat from time to time but I won't need a liscence for that.  And guess what there are others like me.   Bait shops will be hurting b/c of this.  Just wait and see. 

Besides, NH dosent give me access to any free parking for saltwater fishing why should I pay for a liscence.

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I think the bait and tackle shops will be hurting too!!in that 3,000,000 people that fish over half of them dont even know how to catch them!!

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:39 PM »
More fish for me...  ;D
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:36 PM »
in that 3,000,000 people that fish over half of them dont even know how to catch them!!

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Anyway....... the rod and reel fishery with I don't care how many people fishing will not have any significant impact on any fishery. There just isn't enough pressure put on by the private sector to have an impact. Sure eeveryone catches Bass in June. But come July when the water heats up it is a whole different story. many go fishless. Please look into the fisheries. I urge you all to take a good hard look. Read trip reports of the charter boats. Your lucky to see a pool fish over twenty pounds these days. We have all seen the skilled and not so skilled anglers on these boats. These are not people posting on iceshanty and fishing three times or more a week, yet they still count in the numbers game as a rec. angler. I'd like to think my crew and myself were pretty good fishermen and I will tell you first hand the dent we put in the groundfish population in a year was dragged up by a dragger in his herring discards. We are nothing in the big picture. The Gov't knows this and is just pleasing the comm.s by making us now jump thru hoops. The only way they could get this to fly is to threaten taking away gov't aide. Pitiful tactics for a useless cause. I'm hoping next year one person can show me one positive point that has come from this ( other than creating jobs for Billy Bob's cousin).
That is what I'm saying and unless you can prove me wrong, I'm sticking to it.

BTW where did you get the 3,000,000 number? I thought the Gubment had no idea how many recreational fishermen there were???????
In fact you just made my point. They do know and do not need anymore regulations or licenses to figure it out.

Spike

Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Im starting a petition forum on the saltwater license for who is against it ,maybe we can over rule with our numbers!!

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:12 PM »
the 3,000,000 number came through others and research!!

Offline natureboy79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:17 PM »
Come on. if everyone could catch one of these more often than not. Would it be worth improving the fishery and maybe paying a coupe bucks a year.....  

I do catch a few of those every year, the difference is I put the big cows back in the water after a quick picture. If you are worried about what 3 million fisherman are doing to the fishery start letting the big cows go to breed instead of zipping a rope through its gills. do you really need a fillet that big to fill your belly?? You obviously can do as you please, I'm just sayin...you know. ::)

My name is Andy and i'm a fishaholic....

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:15 PM »
The numbers came from Stripers forever, I recently signed up with them lsat month. Great info on the striper fishery from SC to ME. Google it and check them out, great info

Natureboy, I do release way more fish than I keep. We only keep what we will eat and not let go bad. As for the size of the filets, I filet the fish, cut the filet into 1lb portions so I can take out portion sized pieces for the family. I am on the river anywhere from 2-4 days a week in spring thru fall and will maybe keep 8-10 fish for the whole season. This year caught well over 30 on my boat that where 20lb plus range, no way in heck could I or would I keep that much. That would just be a waste of course

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.