New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: New state record!  (Read 11575 times)

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New state record!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Great fish and nice job! However if there is no public access should it be a state record? 
why should that have anything to do with it?
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:14 AM »
If thats the case I'm gonna start hand feeding a couple bass in my moms' pond, a couple seasons of hot dogs ought to get me into the record books.

Offline Wisdom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines Mates...Cheers
« Reply #62 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:46 AM »
If thats the case I'm gonna start hand feeding a couple bass in my moms' pond, a couple seasons of hot dogs ought to get me into the record books.
Go to GNC and get some of that protein shake stuff the weight lifters use to gain weight....lmao :laugh:
A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:57 AM »
That's my point. you could raise fish for the soul purpose to break records thats a BS, if it was caught from public waters where it was able to grow naturally and anyone had a chance to catch it so be it. Not that it is'nt impressive but private water should be excluded from the record books.

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:04 PM »
I would say that the state fish records are to document the largest fish of a particular species to come out of waters that are inside that states borders, period.  Did this fish come from waters that are inside the state borders, yes!  Is it a walleye, yes!  There for my friends - a state record.   

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:43 PM »
I had some guys at work (DEC) look into it and the weight is 16lb 9oz ,34 inches, 26 inch girth, did'nt get a location but I will look into it further, and public or private water the record will stand. According to the people I spoke with when it comes to fish like bass, bluegill, and crappie records are usually broken on private ponds or lakes, so start a good feeding program on your ponds and you too could be in the record books.

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:41 PM »
I would say that the state fish records are to document the largest fish of a particular species to come out of waters that are inside that states borders, period.  Did this fish come from waters that are inside the state borders, yes!  Is it a walleye, yes!  There for my friends - a state record.   
Hmmm......then use this logic for fenced-in game farms and break records for the largest deer, elk, hogs.... 

One former Shanty member used to have a 3 acre pond full of crappie.  On a regular basis he would catch 19 and 20 inchers but threw them back in.  At any time he could have claimed a record.  My feeling is if John Q. Public is not allowed to use his NYS fishing license on a particular body of water, any record coming from that water should not be recognized by NYS.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline wnyicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:48 PM »
I agree 100%. also the state doesnt reconize breeder trout that the state stocks for record books. why should this fish count.

Offline troutrifle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • M.C.D. Society
« Reply #68 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Well, in essense, it devalues the term "state record". It's meaningless. I certainly do not want to detract from the catch, but if it was private waters, grown under dictated conditions, then it's a scam more than anything.
troutrifle

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I agree if it's a private lake it should be OUTA the books, for christsake the Brook Trout record is reset what seems like ever 2 or 3 years because of shady cicumstances, this should be no different.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Tommy Chong *DOES* catch some big ones, huh?   :laugh:
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline troutrifle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • M.C.D. Society
« Reply #71 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:28 PM »
I retract my previous post.
As long as the body of water provides conditions for said species of fish to spawn and NATURALLY reproduce,unmanipulated in any way ,it should be a record.
If thats not the case, then it's just a pet in a fishbowl, and shouldn't be allowed.
There, i'm done.
Troutrifle.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:44 PM »
It truly is a fish of two lifetimes and I would probably still be in my hut with a bottle of lotion and a box of kleenex but as stated the whole private water issue is questionable and should be readressed to maintain the the integrity of a "state record".

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I don't know if the picture is not doing the fish justice but I have seen some walleye taken out of the mohawk that appear to be just as big as that one.  Do river fish count for state records?  Either way its a beautiful fish but I would have expected it to look bigger in the picture.  I haven't read all the posts on this tread did anyone post a length for this fish?
J3W

Offline newiceking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I hope this doens't turn out to be an internet rumor. I heard it was from Kinzua. I've near heard of Mystic lake, and the last state record cam from Kinzua.

I agree I would love to see a pic!
there is a picture of it in olean times herald from sunday january 25. the guys name is thomas reed i heard it was from mystic too which is in limestone n.y.   34" 16lb9oz w/28"girth
[img]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss152/MeatHuter737/l_2daa0c58421d4e89949b42784be7c9c7.jpg/img]

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #75 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:24 AM »
SOMETHING VERY FISHEY ABOUT THIS ONE. RUMORS SAY IT WAS CAUGHT IN STATE LINE BAY. ON RESERVATION IN KINZUA. NO LICENSE.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #76 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:49 AM »
SOMETHING VERY FISHEY ABOUT THIS ONE. RUMORS SAY IT WAS CAUGHT IN STATE LINE BAY. ON RESERVATION IN KINZUA. NO LICENSE.

Is it me or does the fish look frozen in the pictures?
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #77 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Point is it is being reported that it came out of a private pond connected to Tunungwant Creek, a tributary of the Allegany River. Wrong.Second point rumor has it that this was done for the reason of not having a reservation license.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #78 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Why is everyone so worried about what waters it came out of,, the ny state crappie record came out of sleepy hollow which is a gated community and cant be fished unless you live there... as long as the fish didnt come out of a fish tank,,its a record..some people have permisson to fish where others cant...thats life...

Amen to that, Brother?  It almost sounds as though every taxpayer seems to feel entitled to a state record fish. 

Judging by the way some public waters are hammered and cleared of every fish that hits the ice, we may be seeing more and more record fish coming from waters where the adjoining property owners have more respect for the fishery than some of those who wail on public waters with reckless abandon.  Want dinner?  Thats fine.  But digital cameras are nice too!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline Team Adrenaline

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for the Big One!!!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Here is the official press release this should put the where it was caught to bed.  If the angler lied to the state where he caught it then it should not stand.

http://www.lotsa.org/RecordWalleye.pdf

But it looks official to me.

Offline derekopf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Was informed today that Mystic Lake Resort is open to the public to ice fish but not in the summer when the camp is in operation. Funny part was the owner didn't recoginize the pine tree in the picture of the record fish and walleyes were not named as fish in the lake........hmmmm..... .......makes a guy wonder. Any way it is a very nice catch no matter where it was taken.

Offline Wisdom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines Mates...Cheers
« Reply #81 on: Feb 02, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Mystic Lake sits along Tunungwant Creek, a tributary of the Allegheny River. Does Tunungwant Creek connect to Mystic lake if so walleye are common in the Allegheny River so I'm sure one could make its way to Mystic lake.
A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!!

Offline gut-n-gill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:24 AM »
i know a little off topic but wasn't the state record crappie caught in duck lake?

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #83 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:29 AM »
i know a little off topic but wasn't the state record crappie caught in duck lake?

That's what is says in the NY fishing guide
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Nobody here is ever going to find out where it came from for sure.  Only thing that is a definite is that it is the biggest walleye any angler has ever taken in new york, and it was through the ice. I think its a great thing for the sport of ice fishing. And for the guys that think they can grow one bigger in a small pond I look forward to your record breaking fish twenty years from now .
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline freshfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:43 AM »
There wld be more record fish cought if people didnt keep everything they catch,,i love gated or private lakes,, cause when you get the right to fish it,, its alot of fun and can b very rewarding...
Bull crap.
I've seen more then one place go to crap because of not keeping fish.

Offline SHUTUPANDFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Am I the only one who cant see this picture for some reason???   All I see is a small box with a red X through it.  Can someone else either re-post it or tell me somewhere else I can go to see it,  please.  Thanks...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #87 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:26 AM »
You need 3 posts before all the forum will work for you.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline SHUTUPANDFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Rookie mistake

Offline SHUTUPANDFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:26 PM »
here is # 3.  Lets see how it works. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor