The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Auger doesn't run  (Read 1412 times)

Offline krankbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Auger doesn't run
« on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:19 AM »
I bought the MAKO 43cc 8" QUANTUM M43Q8 about this time last year. I have only used it about 4-5 times and probably only drilled about 15-20 holes. It ran fine yesterday but will not run today. I primed it, choked it and started it on the ice today. I let it warm up for about a minute or so before starting to drill the first hole and it was running fine. It made it about 6" then it slowed way down and died. I got it started again but it just kept dying. It almost sounded like it was running out of gas but it still has about 1/2 tank. We got it started again then it just stopped instantly. We could then no longer pull it to try to get it started again. It locked up. After I got home I put my foot on it and gave it a firm steady pull and got it to turn over again. I even had it running for about 5 seconds before it died again. It will still pull over but will not run. It seems that it may have a "rattle" in it when I pull the rope. Any ideas? ???
Eat...Sleep...Fish

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Re: Ice Auger doesn't run
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:41 AM »
If you go to this web page http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store_geteskimo/shopdetail.asp?params=M43Q8*0&tab=docs and click the PDF link below the blue features tab    ("M43 Mako Ice Auger Operators Manual (OMM43_R6_25_08.pdf)")  then go to page 11 and it has a list of symptoms and trouble shooting info.

Good Luck
wish you many hook-ups

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2009, 09:32 AM »
dumb question but did u  mix the gas with 2 stroke oil

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Make sure if you have a vent on the gas cap it's open .
The auger will do exactly as youi discribe if it cant vent .

Offline krankbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2009, 05:12 PM »
I appreciate the suggestions. I did go through everything in the book trying to figure it out and hoping it was something simple. After nothing worked I decided to start tearing into it. Of course I bought it 1 year and 2 weeks ago and it has a 1 year warranty. Anyways, when I pulled out the spark plug and looked inside I found a bunch of metal shavings and pieces. Well I guess the mystery is solved. I would just like to know why???
I Know that I have a heavy on the oil 50:1 mix (smoke is good in a 2 cycle) so I don't think it was that. Oh well. Thanks anyways.
Eat...Sleep...Fish

Offline MT Don

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:53 AM »
If the oil/gas ratio was correct....maybe you ran it to lean.  ???

Offline krankbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:32 AM »
I started taking everything apart yesterday and found a piece of plastic stuck in the jet of the carb. It was the same kind of plastic they use to make the gas tank. Maybe that was enough to lean it out and seize it up. I know that I don't have a leg to stand on as far as a warranty goes, but hopefully they will be able to sell me the parts I need to fix it.
Eat...Sleep...Fish

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2009, 07:44 AM »
turbo charge it  :flex: :flex: :thumbsup:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:32 PM »
If you turbo charge it I want to know how! >:D
wish you many hook-ups

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:48 PM »
I started taking everything apart yesterday and found a piece of plastic stuck in the jet of the carb. It was the same kind of plastic they use to make the gas tank. Maybe that was enough to lean it out and seize it up. I know that I don't have a leg to stand on as far as a warranty goes, but hopefully they will be able to sell me the parts I need to fix it.

Try it anyways, the worst they can do is tell you no.  It's amazing what kind of customer service you can get if you talk to the right person in the right way, just my $.02.

Offline krankbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I've been dealing with a couple of people in Eskimo's customer service dept via phone and email and it sounds like they are going to stand behind there auger and probably do something under warranty. I just have to send back the old powerhead and they will send me a new one. Soon I will be back on the ice.  ;D Now I just have to find the fish.  ???
Eat...Sleep...Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.