The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to ice fishing and wanting to learn more  (Read 1462 times)

Offline heineken8119

• IceShanty Rookie
New to ice fishing and wanting to learn more
« on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Hi Ice Shanty,

I went Ice fishing today with my wife and kids for the first time. We really enjoyed it but did not have any luck. IS there any good articles to reading about better ways to set up your lines, not sure if I am fully doing it correctly. Also We live in Belgrade and went to hylite reservoir. Is there any other better lakes to go to for good day fishing trips. I know there is Canyon Ferry, but would like to find a couple smaller lakes to try also.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: New to ice fishing and wanting to learn more
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:37 PM »
You're in the right place:) get a couple
More posts and you will be able to find all the information you need. Glad you had a good time on the ice:)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty, heineken8119.    ;)2

Do you have a sonar unit ?    It's your eyesight under water.   :whistle:

What methods are you fishing with ?

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Hi Ice Shanty,

I went Ice fishing today with my wife and kids for the first time. We really enjoyed it but did not have any luck. IS there any good articles to reading about better ways to set up your lines, not sure if I am fully doing it correctly. Also We live in Belgrade and went to hylite reservoir. Is there any other better lakes to go to for good day fishing trips. I know there is Canyon Ferry, but would like to find a couple smaller lakes to try also.

Go to Bozeman Beach with a few jigs and some corn or worms. Try all depths from the bottom to right below the hole and jig the baited lure softly. As for where and how deep look for concentrations of old holes or explain to other guys there that you want to learn and get the kids into some fish.

The place is loaded with small trout.

Offline heineken8119

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Thank you for the advice on bozeman beach, but where is that located. Also I do not have sonar yet, just starting out and don't have a ton of money to spend just yet on this new hobby. What Am I looking at for cost on a sonar system?

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:54 PM »
Don't worry about sonar, we have managed for two hundred years without it. ;D

Just get small lures and corn, maggots or worms from Sportsman's and go for it. Look up East Gallatin Recreation Area.

Offline heineken8119

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Ok, I know where that is at thank you, Can you keep fish out of that lake or want to keep them.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Don't worry about sonar, we have managed for two hundred years without it. ;D

Good plan, I never worry about sonar, if I'm 50 miles into the trip, I turn around to go back home and get it.

It's not really a matter of life & death, it's much more important.    ;)2

Offline Orange County Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:30 PM »
You came to the right place, although I am not new to ice fishing this place is awesome to gain info and just chit chat about ice fishing in general, as you are new to this don't get overwhelmed. All you need starting out is a auger and a jigging pole. As you gain experiance everything else will fall in place. You could not have come to a better place for ice fishing. Get familiar with the site, can't go wrong

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Good plan, I never worry about sonar, if I'm 50 miles into the trip, I turn around to go back home and get it.

It's not really a matter of life & death, it's much more important.    ;)2

The dude is fishing a pond that might be an acre, full of stockers... ::)

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:37 PM »
This forum is a great resource.  Everyone has their own approach whether fishing or hunting, to each his own.  I take great pride in using very basic methods that don't require modern technology.  Rely on your instinct, use common sense, and keep it simple.  Do your research on the species of fish you are targeting and ask questions.  It's amazing what you can do with a few simple set ups a hand auger and a five gallon bucket.  It's always fun be successful using the bare minimum.  Have fun!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:52 PM »
This forum is a great resource.  Everyone has their own approach whether fishing or hunting, to each his own.  I take great pride in using very basic methods that don't require modern technology.  Rely on your instinct, use common sense, and keep it simple.  Do your research on the species of fish you are targeting and ask questions.  It's amazing what you can do with a few simple set ups a hand auger and a five gallon bucket.  It's always fun be successful using the bare minimum.  Have fun!
So true, sir.   ;)2

I not only have fun, but, occasionally have the last laugh.

When my bucket is full and no one within ten feet of me has caught a thing, I keep a straight face and ask, "Who wants this hole" ?  They act like piranha, swarming the hole, to no avail.     :roflmao:

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:08 PM »

Way back when on Devils Lake...before we could afford a power auger (spud bars ruled) and the ice was four feet thick in March we would wait for a warm night and hit the lake early the next morning and find holes from the previous day. Just picked the ones with blood and slime around them, chip out an inch of ice and start hauling jumbos. ;D

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:16 PM »
This forum is a great resource.  Everyone has their own approach whether fishing or hunting, to each his own. I take great pride in using very basic methods that don't require modern technology.  Rely on your instinct, use common sense, and keep it simple.  Do your research on the species of fish you are targeting and ask questions.  It's amazing what you can do with a few simple set ups a hand auger and a five gallon bucket.  It's always fun be successful using the bare minimum.  Have fun!

Lol!   Sorry, just made me giggle that you take pride in not using modern technology but yet your using modern technology to research info on this site! 

Offline heineken8119

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:23 PM »
The dude is fishing a pond that might be an acre, full of stockers... ::)
SO what your saying is I need to get my GPS I use for hunting also so I won't get lost on that big of a pond ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:29 PM »
you could way-point your hot spots, Ken.    But if the whole pond is hot that's folly.    :roflmao: ;)2

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:36 PM »
you could way-point your hot spots, Ken.    But if the whole pond is hot that's folly.    :roflmao: ;)2

Yup. They put in 2500 trout a year, under two acres. ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:52 PM »
That's great, easy fishing for folks.

There's a 43 acre lake that gets 8500 6+" catchable Triploid Troutlodge Kamloop (really fast growing) in 6 or more plantings throughout open water and is designated a "Family" fishing spot.  Good for kids off the dock, then it freezes and, the smoker gets a few, ha.    ;)2

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2015, 11:18 PM »
Heineken8119, Hyalite is a great place to fish for trout, use small Swedish pimples with maggots or a small chunk of worm. the depth is important so without electronics telling you the correct depth you will need to do it the old fashioned way. start at the bottom and every couple of minutes crank it up a turn. Keep track and the next time bottom out and then crank up x number of turns. Last time I was there we were hammering them 10' below the ice

Wenger there is no ice fishing like Devils Lake, bought the tshirt 30+ years ago when the lake was smaller and have been itching go be gack.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Lots of good advice on here already. Next time out just wander over to someone and ask them the same as you did on here. Most all ice fishers will be more than happy to help out.

Offline Walleye cat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:49 PM »
I'm always at the beach let me know when you go there next I will help you find fish  the perch fishing has been good almost every time I get 50 perch and 30 rainbows

Offline bob.diertay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2015, 03:53 PM »
I'm in the same bat Heineken! Just trying to get my ice fishin going a little.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.