The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ever Clean Your Smoker?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Ever Clean Your Smoker?
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:06 AM »
I use a couple smokers. Mine and also my buddy's. I keep all my racks real clean and clean out my tray and such, but don't touch anything else. I don't think its a lot of build-up so I leave it. His is filthy really. I've cleaned the racks before but don't anymore. It doesn't bother me at all(heck, he let's me use it), not sure if I need to keep mine as clean as I do. So just wondering how you guys might keep your smoker. Thanks

Tight Lines!

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
Re: Ever Clean Your Smoker?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Hey bck just picked up a smoker should I season it or just load it up and enjoy ?
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:04 AM »
There's a break in procedure for it! Bring it up to Max temp for 2-3 hours, then burn a pan of chips for another hour, after that its game on. DON'T PUT FOOD IN IT TILL YOU'VE DONE THIS!!!

Offline gullunkerson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Seasoning will make your first load taste better, clean racks and water pan only. Enjoy
keep punch'en holes till ya find'em

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I clean my racks after each smoke as well as any ash and chunks out of th bottom but that's about it.
mtperchman spray all of the interior surfaces .with Pam or any other cooking spray and do a couple hour smoke with an empty smoker. That will season it and you'll be ready to roll. I've done this with a few different smokers

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:47 AM »
THANKS GUYS!!!
now I have to get off my butt and get some fish ...
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline fishhunter85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I clean the racks with soap and water the same as the rest of you guys between batches (especially with smoked fish). The max temp cleanout like lundin-loading said is the only thing I do to keep smoked food safety at a premium! If you use a good about of brown sugar in some of you're brines watch out for surface mold on the side of smoker walls. I take a sharp edge and scrape that off before I do my max temp smoke to sterilize. Never have gotten sick from any smoked food I have made. Knock on wood. Cheers!

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Don't clean it !!!! Just the racks and ash trey area the smoker will build up a good flavor
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:10 AM »
I got a used smoker from a friend a few years back.  The racks and drip pan were kinda nasty so I took them out and scrubbed them.  The walls, lid and door were completely covered in smokey wonderful tar, smelled great.  First batch of fish until now are just great and very consistent.  Not sure if good success from the start had to do with the seasoned smoker, but now all I do is occasionally clean the racks and drip pan.  That old, grimy smoker was one of the best gifts I ever received!
My short answer: NO    :nono:

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:15 AM »
racks, drip pan, and ash bin only, but I do that every time and I smoke a LOT of fish each year. just smoked four pike over pecan chips last week. Real good flavor, nearly as good as apple wood.

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I would also agree with the other posts, racks, drip pan and ashes is all I clean. The rest of the smoker may be considered a mess by others but I think it helps add flavor and wouldn't dare do anything to change it.
My lifelong quest is to find out if a 20 lb. walleye will fit through a ten inch hole.

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:31 AM »
If you smoke something nasty,and you don't like the smell then clean it "good" and start over.I love the smell  the second I open my smoker and love my  " Bradley "
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline JBL44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JBL44
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:15 AM »
I only clean my racks at the end of "smoking season"  The water pan is cleaned after each use! I discovered if you leave the smoked fish on the racks overnight, after they are done, the fish come right off without sticking! This also helps firming up the meat. Hate soggy smoked fish!
perchnut

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I only clean the racks on my small smoker. My old offset smoker (many years ago now) I would use a welding brush to knock off particles on the rack after it heated up a bit.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Dem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Same as everyone else grates n pan only. I agree with the guys above who stated it only adds to the flavor of the cook. Enjoy!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the ice like an idiot! I won't tell you which side of the line I'm on.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Same as everyone else grates n pan only. I agree with the guys above who stated it only adds to the flavor of the cook. Enjoy!

x2

Will scrape off any extra buildup on the walls only
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Love my smoker!!!  Mmmm...smoked salmon...

As for cleaning, ash pan and racks
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:26 AM »
Lundin, do you keep it at max temp when you burn the chips in the pan, or do you lower the temp?

Offline Fightinwildfire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Same here, I just clean the racks, water pan and dump out the ashes when I'm finished. No problems whatsoever.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline badlandspc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2014, 01:49 AM »

My wife just asked me the same question and then got mad because I couldn't help but chuckle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.