The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Shelter - Need advice  (Read 2608 times)

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Shelter - Need advice
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:26 PM »
I am looking at getting into an Ice shelter. There seems to be no end of options. Looking at a flip over design for the attached sled. I've looked at a Frabill for $700!?!?

What are some that you guys use? Flip Over, Pop Ups or cabin style. I also have to keep Montana winds in mind.

Specs I want are basically just a two man, boats seat, bench seat or buckets doesn't seem to matter. Usually just me and 1 or 2 kids.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Shelter - Need advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I just got a flip over it seems like it will be easy fast and mobile, I have a dual hub pop up that is way easy to set roomy and warm and can withstand winds that i know for sure (if properly anchored) of 58 mph... mine is a eskimo quick fish six. and i have also had the cabin style but these are a little cumbersome and not too roomy. That is my two cents worth if there is anything else I can help with feel free to let me know. I fish Canyon Ferry south end at Silo's alot and the wind there rarely stops.
Worst day of fishin I ever had was still damn good!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:52 PM »
I use a KillZone Igloo-XL 4 man pop-up and it works well for me plus my two boys ages 11 and 12. I like it a lot but I also move very little once I get set up so a pop-up vs a sled flip over works well for me but if you move a lot a flip over would probably work better for you. I got mine on sale for around $130 I think.

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:04 PM »
My old man runs a Frabill Refuge and I have a Trekker II. Dad's is nice when you want to black it out and sight fish and is nice if because you can stand up in it. It isn't the easiest to pull out and doesn't do the best in the wind. It does heat up nice and easy though. 2 people max in the box though. My Trekker II is nice for getting out and moving. But it a little heavy if you take advantage of the full sled and load it down. I usually don't take my snowmobile and don't really move that much, but when I do its awesome. I got a decent deal on mine used and thats the main reason I bought it. I'll be buying a new thermal tent for it and probably keep it around for a while after that. Without it my buddy has a little trouble keeping it warm if the wind is blowing, (You can also see outside when its all closed down due to so much wear) With that being said I'm also going to buy a pop up this spring when things go on sale. That way we can take the Liberty fishing as opposed to my 1 ton diesel. It all depends on how you'll be realisticly be using it. With little ones and not a lot of moving around I would go with a decent pop up. Then you can build a sled that meets all your needs.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:09 PM »
I have a Frabill Treckker and I love it, There is plenty of room and it is easy to pull even in the snow. It sets up very qickly and is extreamly easy to move from spot to spot.

Offline bigenuf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:45 PM »
you can find any style in pretty good shape on craigslist sometimes for half the price.

Offline Outlander_49

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:02 PM »
I have a Clam Voyager TCX, it works great but is quite heavy when loaded down with gear (gas auger, heater, propane tank, rods, tipups, beer, etc, etc.) and has plenty of room for two people but since there are two seats that are in fixed position, 2 people is the maximum (though you might be able to put a bucket in between them, to sit on).  It pulls great if there is no snow on the ice but with a little snow/slush it takes some effort.  It has withstood high winds, ice anchors are key.  I devised my own with eye bolts, large washers and ratchet straps because the ones that Clam sell aren't worth their weight in *&!$, maybe they have gotten better in the last couple years but I don't know.  Two things that make the large flipover possible is that it fits in my truck bed and I can pull it with an atv.  Also, I usually have another person with me and fish lakes/reservoirs that don't usually have snow on them.    I've never used a popup but I would think the main advantage is that you can just fill your tub up and go fishing and it is easy to move. 

Offline Field48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Have a frabill predator that I got used . Like it but weight can be a issue when loaded down. Plenty of room for two and seems good in the wind. Installed the runners on the bottom and think they help.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:34 PM »
otter you cant go wrong
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Otter's are by far the best built.  Heavier, but built to withstand the anything thrown at it

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Otter's are by far the best built.  Heavier, but built to withstand the anything thrown at it

I have an Otter that is what I use to lug my gear and popup around and I love it.

Offline rmoore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:11 PM »
craiglist or mini nickel you should be able to save some $$

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Had good luck with a quick fish3 hub shelter. Room enough for 3 and you can stand upright in it.  Kids love it. and anchored down it'll take a good wind. Third year on it.

Offline allweather fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:44 PM »
I have the frabill day trek er 2 i absolutly love it Ive had it two years its quick and easy set up and you still have room for all your gear. i have another sled i can put inside it at night and some ply wood i lay over top the two sleds that way i can stay on the ice. my advice if your going to spend the money  is ge t the three man they also get a lot cheaper around the end of the season i got mine for 30% off by waiting hope that helps in your decision ... maby try ebay also
Here fishy fishy...

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. Leaning towards the Frabill Predator. Mostly because there's one here in Havre that I can "test drive". Seems like it will fit the bill, allowing me to store most everything in the sled. But, the price tag and weight are what's keeping it out of the back of my truck for now. I also wanted to get a new auger this year, but that will probably have to wait another year.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:57 PM »
You almost need two. One for walking long distance at first ice/last ice, and one you can use with an ATV. Buy used and save big bucks like mentioned above.
Most sleds that serve as a shelter are to heavy to pull long distance with snow on the ice, and by long distace I'm talking anything over 2 miles one way. Get a sled for trekking and fishing.

Otter makes the tuffest most durable sled IMO.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline gtriderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I would like the convenience of a flip style shelter yet with ATV on truckI have no place to carry shelter so for that reason I strap a hub to the front of the ATV and everything else is on the ATV and once I drive of the truck bed I load a couple bucket in rear bucket rack & I'm off in a couple minutes.

I think that in another year my father-in-law will not be fishing with me and I will find a way to carry a one man flip up shelter. Load it up and when the wind picks up and it gets too cold I'll flip it over my head & keep on fishing.

Hubs are great yet you are locked to one spot. You can move but usually wont as it's too much to do.

Offline allweather fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:28 PM »
The frabill i have slides across the ice almost effortless with all my gear but i put skids on it and if you do get it make sure you get or make a cover i took mine twice without it and the wind from the ride thrashed it and now i have to patch the holes that are starting to form it well worth the 20- 30 bucks
Here fishy fishy...

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:38 PM »
I've been usin an Eskimo Quickfish 3 for the last three season. Three people, heater and gear is MAX, but one or two people is very comfortable. I've been on Nevada Creek in it's famous winds many of times and the screw in anchors kept the house in place. It let some wind in, but not too much. The best part, it easily sets up, breaks down, rolls up and fits into a bag that I can carry like a backpack. I've sat in friend's clam shells, etc. I thought they were all nice, but I've never owned any other besides my pop up.

:tipup:

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Bullelk34

« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:43 PM »
I've been usin an Eskimo Quickfish 3 for the last three season. Three people, heater and gear is MAX, but one or two people is very comfortable. I've been on Nevada Creek in it's famous winds many of times and the screw in anchors kept the house in place. It let some wind in, but not too much. The best part, it easily sets up, breaks down, rolls up and fits into a bag that I can carry like a backpack. I've sat in friend's clam shells, etc. I thought they were all nice, but I've never owned any other besides my pop up.

:tipup:

Pyro

I also recall sitting in Pyro's hub when it was -28, and I was swaeting in there! (the propane company REALLY likes him)    :)

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:27 PM »
I also recall sitting in Pyro's hub when it was -28, and I was swaeting in there! (the propane company REALLY likes him)    :)

Yes, Sir!
Believe it or not, One BBQ tank lasts an entire season with my Big Buddy!  :P

Besides, we need to get together soon, on your side of the hill ;)

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Bullelk34

« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:50 PM »
I agree Pyro!

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:54 PM »
just bought a shappell fx200 from dunham's for 300 bucks, this thing is just plain sweet, will fit two guys easy and all the gear in the sled

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2013, 12:13 AM »
ill say pay for an otter. i have been in 100km winds gusting up 125kph with mine no problem. wish i had it anchored though as soon as you stood up she wanted to go.

Offline Fishing2471979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2013, 12:29 PM »
I just picked up a FrabillTrekker 2 from an old timer and its awesome. I love the convenience of the flip over style and the sled isn't one of those big bulky heavy style. Its lighter easier to handle at the same time quick to setup and roomy for two people. Also the trekker 2 is alittle less expensive. I want to say $380 or so new. My 2 cents...

Offline frozenout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:50 AM »
I have a Frabil Commando going on 2 years and I love it! Blocks the wind ,great comfortable seat and lots of room inside to put STUFF.
I screw anchor it down in the wind when she's a howling, works great! Paid $275 after the ice season a 3 years back when it was on sale!

Offline mrbeeman212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2013, 02:08 PM »
I have a Eskimo Fat fish 949I which is the insulated and has a wider bottom then the quick fish i paid 300 for it or there about, its a pop up we can fish three ppl in comfort with the heater in it i have fished in 40 mph wind on Clark canyon with the ice anchors did fine. it takes me by myself about five min to set up with two ppl its about two min to set up im 6'4" so i like having a taller shelter but i know some people don't like that. Having an insulated shelter might sound like a marketing ploy but it works well i saw that Frabill has an insulated one but the walls feel much thinner then that of mine.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2013, 03:11 PM »
I have an older style (early 2000's) Fishtrap Guide from Clam and I love it.  It is pretty light for a 2-man shanty.  I move a lot when I'm fishing perch, constantly jumping holes, so I need a shanty on a sled that I can just flip and go. 

If you fish alone a lot, I'd go with a 1-man as you can get into those for ~$200. 

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Well, thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting an Otter Wild flip over. Seemed like a decent deal. The shelter has a bench seat which seemed ideal for me and multiple kids. I was able to "test drive" one here at Big R, so that made the decision even easier for me.

Now I have to go pick up the new Jiffy 10' propane auger I have reserved for me.

And then it's time for fishing.

Offline Barney66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:06 PM »
I also just purchased the otter wild at Gander,,,love it so far. The bench seat is nice and I also just git the new Propane Pro 4....gota say santa was good to me this year. long as the easter bunny delivers a new bass boat this year will be Good !!! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.