The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: smoking fish  (Read 1483 times)

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie
smoking fish
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:46 PM »
First time smoking fish. They are salmon from Georgetown. Got brine and everything was just wondering if you guys smoke them whole or do you split in half to smoke.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
Re: smoking fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:51 PM »
I always fillet them, but leave the skin on.  Works good for me.  Apple or Cherry is my favorite wood for Salmon

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:33 PM »
As small as those fish are I'd think about leaving the whole...might end up dried out real fast otherwise?

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:38 PM »
I smoke mine whole. They're too small for me to enjoy messin with them. I made a ton of little hooks that hang from my racks. I hook the fish on by their lower jaw. They always hold, smoke evenly and save time. Once they're done, they're super easy to pull the smoked fillets right off the bones.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline icesker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2012, 12:12 AM »
Just make sure you don't set your smoker on your wood deck like my dad did--burned a hole in it!

Offline mk59718

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:59 AM »
I always split mine in half as well.  Those little Georgetown Kokes cook fast...Gotta watch em.

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2012, 11:30 AM »
I have always smoked koks whole with heads off.  Pull them from the brine and place on the racks belly own.  This lets the smoke get into the meat good.  I have used all types of wood chips, but I prefer cherry.  Smoke for approx 2hrs@200-225 degrees.  You'll know they're done just right when the skin peels easily back from head to tail in one piece.  You can flip-flop them and get alot in a smoker.  This pic is from what I had left from last year, so there wasn't a full smoker.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2012, 01:00 PM »
i too smoke em whole...watch your heat....if you don't have a smoker that keeps your temp stable it can take just a few minutes to overcook a whole batch.....my smoker is pretty stable but sometimes the chips catch on fire and it just skyrockets the temp....i always have some cherry oak and apple soakinf in a pan of water to stabalize the temp or i just throw some snow on the chip pan....like missoula said...these are small fish... at 180 to 200 degrees you can some yummy smoked fish in 3 to 6 hrs...depending on the temp....but if your temp gets away..you will have some dry fish in a matter of minutes......

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2012, 02:14 PM »
I find them hard to light and dont get much of a buzz haha. but i really wanna start smoking some. A few years ago my GF got me a charcoal one and i am intimidated by it....never been used. If any of you have used one like that some tips would be great on how to keep it at the right temp and going long enuff.

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Thanks for the info. Got to go get  some propane and give her a shot. Got a small batch to try first and see how it goes. Have the cherry wood soaking then it will be smoking :thumbsup:

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2012, 02:49 PM »
here is my setup.

the last pic is the finished product.

HIMO
                                                                             Iceshanty & MFF Global Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Looks.tastey

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:03 PM »
I find them hard to light and dont get much of a buzz haha. but i really wanna start smoking some. A few years ago my GF got me a charcoal one and i am intimidated by it....never been used. If any of you have used one like that some tips would be great on how to keep it at the right temp and going long enuff.

Not sure what kind of smoker you have, but I used a bullet type charcoal Brinkman for years and it worked great.  Just fill the pan with charcoal, light it and once it starts turning white, fill the water pan with your brine and put the fish on.  Smoked them for 2-3 hours, depending on outside temp and added chips every 1/2 hour or so.  Otherwise, it just takes care of itself. The temp gauge on it was not very good, but it was usually around 180-225 degrees.  No reason to get intimidated by any smoker.  They cook slow enough that you can keep a close eye on them and figure out a system that works.  If you're not sure how the smoker heats up and burns the charcoal down, do a test burn/smoke with no food and see what it does.  It probably needs seasoned anyway.

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:07 PM »
so i dont put water in there use the brine? so doing that do i have to soak the fish in the brine first. i had a little chief smoke and have done this b4.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:12 PM »
Himo, what kinda fish ya got there, 'eh? Looks like salmon pieces.........with cheese.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:19 AM »
those are chionook salmon from Lake michigan.4 people caught 20 fish from shore in an afternoon. my 2 sons and my wife and I. we can fish lots of places from shore here in Milwaukee,Wi. oh and no cheese. LOL !!!

HIMO
                                                                                   Iceshanty & MFF Global Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Good lookin chunks !!!   There's more meat in 1 of those than 4 of our Kokanee.

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:53 AM »
so i dont put water in there use the brine? so doing that do i have to soak the fish in the brine first. i had a little chief smoke and have done this b4.

Yep..soak fish for at least a few hours or overnight if possible.  When I use the brine as the moisture liquid, it seems to hold the flavor better, than just using water.  I used to always make my own brine, but I started using the High Country - Wild Salmon brine.  It has some maple in it and gives them a good sweet smoky flavor.

Offline BoonDockin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:19 AM »
Meat shoppe in bozeman has such good prices i bring mine there good flavor can't beat the price

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:26 PM »
Lower Valley Meats here in Kalispell does a great job too and it doesn't cost very much, but there's something about eating fish/game that you catch, clean and prepare all on your own.  You can mix it up a little with the brine for your own tastes and they are really tasty fresh off the smoker with a cold beer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.